Do Not Sell My Personal Information

rim protectors

mrmetallica

before iget my new alloys fitted im thinking of getting rim protectors. are they worth having fitted do they work ?

4 minutes ago, mrmetallica said:

before iget my new alloys fitted im thinking of getting rim protectors. are they worth having fitted do they work ?

Are you talking about rim protection as an add on or actually purchasing tyres that are RP.

Never used separate rim protectors but the tyres that are rim protective themselves certainly do the job.

1 minute ago, mrmetallica said:

On my last car with 18" Oz Superturismos, I had a set of Alloygators fitted. Yes, they're worth it because I'm  lousy at parking and my alloys were always bumping into kerbs. I would wait till they got properly ruined before replacing them, and at £25 odd/corner, much cheaper than a wheel refurb. I just went for plain black, though you can get some outrageous colours should you wish...

Oh, get them professionally fitted, YouTube vid suggest an easy fit, they're not LOL

261783315_properfit.thumb.JPG.8483d5dbd928bc933509beeae3bbae55.JPG

14 minutes ago, Wino said:

Are you talking about rim protection as an add on or actually purchasing tyres that are RP.

Never used separate rim protectors but the tyres that are rim protective themselves certainly do the job.

yeah rim protection not heard of tyres that protect the rim. just checked the site are they fitted with the tyres on ?

11 minutes ago, mrmetallica said:

.. just checked the site are they fitted with the tyres on ?

Yes, the site has full fitting video on it, tyres remain in situ, and once fitted/cut, they can be removed and reapplied when you get new tyres...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Yes, the site has full fitting video on it, tyres remain in situ, and once fitted/cut, they can be removed and reapplied when you get new tyres...

looks easy enough lol

3 hours ago, mrmetallica said:

yeah rim protection not heard of tyres that protect the rim.  

The Michelin pilot sports 3 /4 and the 5 all have rim protect as standard. 

There may be others tyres that do but I just stuck with the same brand.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wino said:

cheers will have a look

44 minutes ago, Wino said:

i dont see any mention on the description ? and on the 5 someone mentions it would be good if they did protect the rim

• Haha 1

I can confirm 100% that the Michelin pilot sport failed miserably at protecting the rim on my car :sad:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, unofix said:

I can confirm 100% that the Michelin pilot sport failed miserably at protecting the rim on my car :sad:

Lol, how close or hard do you like the kerb ?

• Haha 1

Rim protection on a tyre is only intended for light impact to the kerb. The rubber rim protection will just be pushed aside or rubbed off at harder impact to the kerb.

Whether a tyre offers a decent rim protection also depends on the design of the rim. On my previous Focus MK3 I used to have 18 Inch wheels with Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 tyres. These tyres are advertised and photographed with a nice fat rim protection.

SyycZig.jpg                      7FiYYN9.jpg

On my 18 Inch wheels which had a wide rim edge the tyres did not offer any rim protection at all.

A plastic rim protector that is clamped between the wheel and the tyre offers more protection than a tyre with rim protection. However the amount of protection also depends on the width of the rim edge. 

A major disadvantage of these clamped plastic rim protectors is that rubbing of the protector against the rim edge can easily cause paint damage and eventually corrosion. For this reason it is not recommended to use any on diamond cut wheels. Some wheel/tyres combinations are also not suitable because the rim protectors are not clamped sufficiently. 

An alternative for these clamped rim protectors are rim protectors that are bonded on the front of the rim using strong adhesive tape.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

Rim protection on a tyre is only intended for light impact to the kerb. The rubber rim protection will just be pushed aside or rubbed off at harder impact to the kerb.

Whether a tyre offers a decent rim protection also depends on the design of the rim. On my previous Focus MK3 I used to have 18 Inch wheels with Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 tyres. These tyres are advertised and photographed with a nice fat rim protection.

SyycZig.jpg                      7FiYYN9.jpg

On my 18 Inch wheels which had a wide rim edge the tyres did not offer any rim protection at all.

A plastic rim protector that is clamped between the wheel and the tyre offers more protection than a tyre with rim protection. However the amount of protection also depends on the width of the rim edge. 

A major disadvantage of these clamped plastic rim protectors is that rubbing of the protector against the rim edge can easily cause paint damage and eventually corrosion. For this reason it is not recommended to use any on diamond cut wheels. Some wheel/tyres combinations are also not suitable because the rim protectors are not clamped sufficiently. 

An alternative for these clamped rim protectors are rim protectors that are bonded on the front of the rim using strong adhesive tape.

im fitting mk2 fl st alloys snow flakes i think they call them. i was wondering about fitting the rim protectors causing damage

3 minutes ago, mrmetallica said:

im fitting mk2 fl st alloys snow flakes i think they call them. i was wondering about fitting the rim protectors causing damage

If you get them professionally fitted, they'll advise before fitting. (If unsuitable, they won't fit as they are bound by a 2 year warranty). If doing them yourself, pop an email off to Alloygator who are usually good at quickly responding to customer inquiries.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

If you get them professionally fitted, they'll advise before fitting. (If unsuitable, they won't fit as they are bound by a 2 year warranty). If doing them yourself, pop an email off to Alloygator who are usually good at quickly responding to customer inquiries.

i wont fit myself things always go wrong for things like that