Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Adaptive Cruise Control?

Iansams

Hi all,

I am hoping to purchase a Ford Focus Active X. The steering wheel is saw did not have the usual icon for adaptive cruise control. Instead, it only had the big "CAN" button beside the set+ res and set- button

Please advise. 

2 minutes ago, Iansams said:

Hi all,

I am hoping to purchase a Ford Focus Active X. The steering wheel is saw did not have the usual icon for adaptive cruise control. Instead, it only had the big "CAN" button beside the set+ res and set- button

Please advise. 

Screenshot_20220807-155113_Auto Trader.jpg

Adaptive cruise control has always been an optional extra on the Active.  Wasn't standard even on the Vignale.

10 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Adaptive cruise control has always been an optional extra on the Active.  Wasn't standard even on the Vignale.

25 minutes ago, Iansams said:

Hi all,

Please advise. 

Thanks. Now it makes sense. 

I think ACC comes as part of an options pack, the one with the road sign recognition. I'm also not sure but you might have to have an Auto for ACC. Mine is an Auto and has ACC.

ACC is available on manuals too. The ST used to come with it as standard (it's an option now though).

• Like 1

ACC is different on manuals.

With an auto it will come to a complete stop if necessary in slow traffic.  In a manual it's obviously limited by which gear you're in.

It was part of the driver assistance pack.  ACC, auto high beam and traffic sign recognition.  Though I'm not sure if that pack is still the same now.

On 8/7/2022 at 4:56 PM, Iansams said:

I am hoping to purchase a Ford Focus Active X.

What is year of the car you are going to buy? Can you provide VIN? Cars from the first year of production in my country were very well furnished, even without ACC all they had CCM module (radar) installed for the pre-colision assistant. In my car, I just had changed buttons and after 20min of programming I enabled ACC! Every thing depends on what is in the car, CCM, IPMA and ABS must be ready for that. It is not always the case.

• Like 1

I believe that the forward facing radar unit is no longer fitted even with cars that have ACC. They now just use the front camera. I might have wrong information but it would be good to have it confirmed either way.

My 2019 Mk4 does not have a radar unit and I have only standard CC. It also has TSR, AHB, and pre-colision assistant. It would be interesting to know if (and how easy) it would be to fit ACC. 

• 7 months later...
On 8/7/2022 at 4:11 PM, TomsFocus said:

Hi Tom, I have the Focus  vignale 2019 , the same my car doesn't have the adaptive cruise control. Is there any possibility to add it extra ?

2 minutes ago, Anoop George said:

Hi Tom, I have the Focus  vignale 2019 , the same my car doesn't have the adaptive cruise control. Is there any possibility to add it extra ?

Yes, it can be retrofitted.  I haven't done it myself though.

12 hours ago, Anoop George said:

If your car is manual, don't bother.

ACC is only really effective on autos, it'll work but you'll still have to mess about changing gears when it slows you and you need to speed back up again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

If your car is manual, don't bother.

ACC is only really effective on autos, it'll work but you'll still have to mess about changing gears when it slows you and you need to speed back up again.

Still has benefits on a manual, I find it very useful on a motorway, when traffic varies from 60 to 70 all the time. Your speed is adaptive, but no need to change out of 6th.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

Still has benefits on a manual, I find it very useful on a motorway, when traffic varies from 60 to 70 all the time. Your speed is adaptive, but no need to change out of 6th.

Only slight benefits though, if you drop to 50 you're changing gear

3 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

Only slight benefits though, if you drop to 50 you're changing gear

ACC on VW with a manual box it remembers things - so don't cancel - just change gear and it gets back to doing what its asked too - within traffic condition and engine power limitations (I thought people here said the ford does this too?)

My adaptive cruise stays on between gear changes. Only touching the brakes stops it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Botus said:

ACC on VW with a manual box it remembers things - so don't cancel - just change gear and it gets back to doing what its asked too - within traffic condition and engine power limitations (I thought people here said the ford does this too?)

From around 2020 the Mk4 has lost the clutch cancel function even without adaptive cruise.  Operates the same way as the modern VWs.  

I hate it.  Wish I could have the option to switch on clutch cancel again.

20 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

From around 2020 the Mk4 has lost the clutch cancel function even without adaptive cruise.  Operates the same way as the modern VWs.  

I hate it.  Wish I could have the option to switch on clutch cancel again.

I'm on the other side of the force. Imho, without clutch cancel is the only reasonable way of working for either ACC or normal CC.

I had normal CC in MK4 and in my last car. Then I have enabled ACC in my MK4 and this is one of the greatest features in this car!!! Clutch cancel would spoil it definitely. I don't know other brands, but Ford is doing very well. Breaks with engine, don't do nasty or quick actions. I have also noticed, when I drive behind a car with lower speed then set up, my car starts gently accelerating when the indicator is turned on, amazing.

• Like 3

If you like clutch cancel that's fine, all I'm asking for is the option to turn it on or off depending on each drivers preference. :smile:

if u have ACC on a manual it can't not cancel if you operate the clutch - one you blow up the engine but before that you'd half destroy the clutch - it must be illegal, not to mention stupidly dangerous for it not to have it ?

12 minutes ago, Botus said:

if u have ACC on a manual it can't not cancel if you operate the clutch - one you blow up the engine but before that you'd half destroy the clutch - it must be illegal, not mention stupidly dangerous for it not to have it ?

There is a difference between cancelling and it waiting for you to complete the change before resuming itself. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Botus said:

if u have ACC on a manual it can't not cancel if you operate the clutch - one you blow up the engine but before that you'd half destroy the clutch - it must be illegal, not mention stupidly dangerous for it not to have it ?

The engine doesn't just rev endlessly when you press the clutch.  PCM's have had a clutch switch feed for the last 25 years.

With the conventional cruise system, I used to press the clutch rolling up to a junction to drop to 3rd from 4th for engine braking, the cruise would remain cancelled until I pressed resume.  (Once I was round the corner and had chosen to resume it).

With the new system, I press the clutch and drop to 3rd from 4th, then bring the clutch back up in 3rd for engine braking, and about a second later the engine suddenly revs up in 3rd, shooting me towards the junction at excessive speed until I hit the brake or press cancel on the steering wheel!! 😮  I can't see how that is in any way 'safe'...but it seems to be about 50/50 between those that like it and those that don't from various forums I've browsed.

I think what you are both saying is the system forgets to read the conditions whilst you are operating the clutch ?  if so its not the clutch switch but either the system is odd or you are just forgetting it can't react to nothing...

go back to the conditions you are driving in and imagine if the car was an auto - would the car do anything differently ?  for example

"With the new system, I press the clutch and drop to 3rd from 4th, then bring the clutch back up in 3rd for engine braking, and about a second later the engine suddenly revs up in 3rd, shooting me towards the junction at excessive speed until I hit the brake or press cancel on the steering wheel! "

here you want the car to slow down - But why?  if its for a set of traffic lights or a stop for a T junction if its an auto it won't stop either - if there is no other car to see has slowed or stopped in front of you.

its driver assistance not automation....  its is another skill and it nothing like old word cruise control,

sounds to me the car is doing exactly as asked - to get back the the speed you asked it to drive at.  Had you bought the auto it would have changed at the appropriate time to manage engine performance and maintain its set speed - I'm guessing you are reacting late and the car has fallen a long way from set speed by the time you bother to change down... and once in the right gear the car is accelerating back to the speed you had asked it to maintain...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Botus said:

I think what you are both saying is the system forgets to read the conditions whilst you are operating the clutch ?  if so its not the clutch switch but either the system is odd or you are just forgetting it can't react to nothing...

go back to the conditions you are driving in and imagine if the car was an auto - would the car do anything differently ?  for example

"With the new system, I press the clutch and drop to 3rd from 4th, then bring the clutch back up in 3rd for engine braking, and about a second later the engine suddenly revs up in 3rd, shooting me towards the junction at excessive speed until I hit the brake or press cancel on the steering wheel! "

here you want the car to slow down - But why?  if its for a set of traffic lights or a stop for a T junction if its an auto it won't stop either (if there is no other car to see has slowed or stopped)

I don't have ACC - mine is standard cruise, so it's not reading other cars or road conditions at all, which makes it incredibly unsafe to re-engage cruise in this way IMO.  Alex does have ACC so his will be different.

As for the junction scenario - I drive mainly light traffic on 30mph suburban roads.  There is rarely a need to stop for a T junction, perfectly acceptable to just slow down for visibility, then round the corner in 3rd.  I find it smoother to drop a gear and gently engine brake than to keep hitting the brake pedal.  I do not want cruise to operate as if I was driving an auto and force me to keep hitting the brake pedal.  I would have bought an auto if I wanted that.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club