Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Want to buy a Ford Focus for my first car but unsure what engine is better 1.0 eco boost or 1.6

Darren107

I am planning to purchase a used Ford Focus 2012/2013 as my first car and was unsure what engine to go with. 1.0 ecoboost or the 1.6 petrol. Will be mainly used for travelling to work and travelling to university which is around 30 mile distance. 

Ive been told that the 1.0 ecoboost often has a lot of issues. Is this true?

any help would be appreciated 

• Like 1

i would go for the 1.6 

• Like 1

I assume you mean the 1.6 Ti-VCT (125), rather than the 1.6 EcoBoost (150)?

The 1.0 will be quicker and cheaper to fuel & tax than the 1.6 Ti-VCT.  However...the reliability risks are huge with these now, one blown engine immediately wipes out those previous savings.

If you do go for a 2012/13 1.0, you need to make sure it's had the cambelt changed as that'll be due now at a cost of around £1000.  

1.8 or 2.0 as some 1.6's are gutless due to weight to engine ratio. My current 1.6 i would describe as gutless compared to my previous 1.6i

• Confused 1

For clarity, there is no 1.8 in the Mk3 Focus.  There is a 2.0, but it's 250bhp and only fitted to ST's...which won't be sluggish, but may not be easy to insure as a first car! :whistling:

Mk3 pre-facelift engine choice is:

1.0 EcoBoost 100ps
1.0 EcoBoost 125ps
1.6 Ti-VCT 105ps
1.6 Ti-VCT 125ps
1.6 EcoBoost 150ps
1.6 EcoBoost 182ps

1.6 TDCI 115ps
2.0 TDCI 163ps

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Darren107 said:

Ive been told that the 1.0 ecoboost often has a lot of issues. Is this true?

Many on these forums swear by the 1.0 ecoboost !!

Actually now I think about it 🤔, I think they swear at them 🤣

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, unofix said:

Many on these forums swear by the 1.0 ecoboost !!

I've had two. I haven't had any problems with the engines. The first one ran for 8 years and 70,000 miles with no trouble.

The same can't be said for the clutch, it went bang an pushed one of it's components through the gearbox housing requiring a new gearbox. It's the first time I've had a clutch fail and I have driven cars which are very much older and have done many more miles.

So in my experience the engines are ok but the clutch is made of cheese.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 10:18 AM, TomsFocus said:

I assume you mean the 1.6 Ti-VCT (125), rather than the 1.6 EcoBoost (150)?

The 1.0 will be quicker and cheaper to fuel & tax than the 1.6 Ti-VCT.  However...the reliability risks are huge with these now, one blown engine immediately wipes out those previous savings.

If you do go for a 2012/13 1.0, you need to make sure it's had the cambelt changed as that'll be due now at a cost of around £1000.  

Yeah I meant the 1.6 TI-VCT (125) 

the 1.6 one I was looking at had a cam belt and water pump change with 46,900 miles 

you think I’d be better off going with the 1.6 ti-vet instead of the 1.0 ecoboost? It’s in the zetec s trim and within my budget

On 8/10/2022 at 2:35 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Unless you are absolutely set on a Focus, might be worth casting the net a bit further and looking at makes with a better reputation for reliability:

https://www.whatcar.com/news/best-and-worst-older-cars-for-reliability/n19105

Other makes I was looking at we’re Astra and golf but from that website they are less reliable than the focus

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Darren107 said:

Yeah I meant the 1.6 TI-VCT (125) 

the 1.6 one I was looking at had a cam belt and water pump change with 46,900 miles 

you think I’d be better off going with the 1.6 ti-vet instead of the 1.0 ecoboost? It’s in the zetec s trim and within my budget

Yes, the 1.6 would be a safer bet for reliability.

On 8/10/2022 at 8:03 AM, dezwez said:

i would go for the 1.6 

What’s your reason?

1 hour ago, pcaouolte said:

I've had two. I haven't had any problems with the engines. The first one ran for 8 years and 70,000 miles with no trouble.

The same can't be said for the clutch, it went bang an pushed one of it's components through the gearbox housing requiring a new gearbox. It's the first time I've had a clutch fail and I have driven cars which are very much older and have done many more miles.

So in my experience the engines are ok but the clutch is made of cheese.

By the laws of average some 1.0 Ecoboost engines must live to a fair age before self destructing. The fact you had two with out any problems, if we ignore the total destruction of the clutch and gearbox (just a minor thing) 😧 and the fact that you say that you made it to the grand old age of 8 and an impressive 70,000 miles, is not really a recommendation for those looking to buy older models with higher mileage.

Would you buy a used 1.0 Ecoboost that's nine or ten year old and 90,000 miles ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, unofix said:

Would you buy a used 1.0 Ecoboost that's nine or ten year old and 90,000 miles ?

Very unlikely. As has been discussed many times on other threads, it's one thing to buy a car new and keep it for several years ensuring maintenance is scrupulously carried out, and a completely different scenario at 9 or 10 years when (unless you're lucky enough to buy from a trusted friend or relative) you don't know the history.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Darren107 said:

Other makes I was looking at we’re Astra and golf but from that website they are less reliable than the focus

Yes, they rarely come out well on such comparisons. Makes that consistently score high ratings are the likes of Toyota, Honda and Mazda.

1 hour ago, unofix said:

No, definitely not. I intend to get shot of the current one before it gets to 9 years or 70,000 miles, whichever comes first.

I have had 2013 1.0l mk3 since new and only problem I have had with it is the washer pump needed replacing. Mind you it's only done 40k miles. 

Now for sale too 

5 minutes ago, DaSingh said:

I have had 2013 1.0l mk3 since new and only problem I have had with it is the washer pump needed replacing. Mind you it's only done 40k miles. 

Now for sale too 

Well it might not sell as well as you hope. It seems that in general the price of the 2012 / 2013 models with the 1.0 ecoboom engine is falling more than similar models with alternative power plants.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club