Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can Forscan read generic codes from other makes?

mjt

As we're swapping out the Ecoboom tomorrow for a Far Eastern marque I was wondering if I'd be able to use my modified ELM cable and Forscan to read the non manufacturer-specific codes on it.

I'm not a member of the Forscan forum which is why I'm asking here.

1 hour ago, mjt said:

As we're swapping out the Ecoboom tomorrow for a Far Eastern marque I was wondering if I'd be able to use my modified ELM cable and Forscan to read the non manufacturer-specific codes on it.

I'm not a member of the Forscan forum which is why I'm asking here.

Definitely not unless it is a Mazda. The only other marque that FORScan works with is some Mazda cars, which are rebranded Fords.

Your wired cable may work with the Torque phone app via an OTG adaptor. If you have one you could download the free Torque app to see if it works, I'm not sure that I would risk buying one on the off chance though.

You may need to check the forum of the brand that you are buying or the Torque forum for a more definitive answer.

Thanks for the replies. I will be joining the forum for the new car once the deal is done (don't want to count my chickens) then I will ask there whether there's anything similar to Forscan for it.

I'll also update my profile to remove the Ecoboom and add the new one as a footnote so you can see what it is. 😉

Thanks for the link Ian. I'd be up for giving that a try if nothing better is forthcoming.

• Like 1

The ELM327 is a standard cable.  Even if the Forscan program won't connect, you should be able to use another generic programme with it for standard OBD2 reading.

The elm327 wireless device I use for forscan has been used successfully used by me using free mobile phone app (car scanner) on Vauxhall corsa . Not sure other makes have anything as good as forscan available so freely/cheaply. But fingers crossed you won’t need it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, unofix said:

I'm guessing ......

Patience!  . . . :biggrin:

Picking it up at 11 today. I see there's another new thread about an Ecoboom self-destructing. Just hope ours makes it to the dealer . . . . . .

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mjt said:

I see there's another new thread about an Ecoboom self-destructing.

another 3 yesterday !!

16 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The ELM327 is a standard cable.  Even if the Forscan program won't connect, you should be able to use another generic programme with it for standard OBD2 reading

Well, of course, it's the Tunnelrat modified ELM with the switch. I assume only one of the switch positions will be right for a 'standard' ELM so which one?

High Speed is the standard (normal) setting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

theres only 2 settings H/s or M/s the new sofware should point you in the right direction as Forscan does on connection.

An inspired guess Unofix . . . . .

Vitara.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mjt said:

An inspired guess Unofix . . . . .

Vitara.jpg

Slightly ashamed to say I'm not even sure what it is!  Not an S Cross is it? :unsure: 

I was wildly wrong with my guess, was expecting something Korean! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Slightly ashamed to say I'm not even sure what it is! 

I'm confused now! Unofix posted a pic of an Across (Suzuki badged RAV 4), Mike has posted a pic of a Vitara.

• Haha 1

My brother in law has got an 18plate Vitara and he loves it. His is the 1.4 turbo version and supprisingly good on fuel. I was looking at them a few weeks ago in autotrader, wondering if it may suit my needs. 

• Like 1

Slightly ashamed to say I'm not even sure what it is!  Not an S Cross is it?

Tom, look at my revised signature . . . . :rolleyes:

I was wildly wrong with my guess, was expecting something Korean!

We did look at a Sportage but considering it's bigger found it more cramped inside and not as comfortable. It was also a bit too high off the ground. The Vitara is just the right height for me and SWMBO to slide in and out.

I'm confused now! Unofix posted a pic of an Across (Suzuki badged RAV 4)

Roger, Unofix's guess was inspired in the sense it was a Suzuki small SUV.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, mjt said:

Tom, look at my revised signature . . . . :rolleyes:

Whoops...  I hope that wasn't there before I posted! :laugh: 

Must admit, I wouldn't have guessed that was a Vitara...I remember them looking like this!

Pin on Car

22 minutes ago, mjt said:

We did look at a Sportage but considering it's bigger found it more cramped inside and not as comfortable. It was also a bit too high off the ground. The Vitara is just the right height for me and SWMBO to slide in and out.

My Mum's got two Swift's.  One bought brand new, one bought nearly new.  Neither have given any engine trouble at all and both were much higher specced than equivalent priced Fiesta's.  (Keyless, cruise, nav and climate as standard...but no auto wipers!).  She's looking to change again now but been put off the modern ones by the addition of a turbo and MHEV tech.  I don't know much about the Boosterjets though, either the 1.0 or 1.4...I take it you've been doing research into them so are they generally more reliable that the 1.0EB?  Are they still chain drive like the NA's?

looks a very nice vehicle. I wish many, many trouble free miles and years of motoring. 👍

Almost Ford legendary 'Moondust Silver'  😉

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Whoops...  I hope that wasn't there before I posted!

It was :biggrin:. I updated my profile and sig before posting,

Thanks Unofix for your good wishes. The colour is called Galactic Grey and is darker than Moondust (our old Mk1.5 estate was Moondust). Hopefully it won't show the dirt too badly and the wheels look as though they should be a lot easier to clean than the Mk3. It drives nicely, the clutch is very smooth unlike the Mk3. That's never been the same since they ragged it during the clutch slip detection software installation. The steering is a bit light and there doesn't seem to be a very strong castor action so it feels a little imprecise in the straight-ahead position. I expect I'll get used to it.

I shall miss the Mk3, We ran it for 6 years without any major problems. I found it impressively refined, quiet and generally solidly built (except for the door seals falling off 😬). However it had come to the point of needing a wetbelt change. I seriously considered doing that but I would also have wanted the sump off to check the pump strainer and possibly it's belt changed plus the coolant hoses upgrading to Mk3.5 spec. On top of this it had to have a broken front spring replaced during the MOT and now the top mount clunks and loads the steering by winding up the spring so that would have needed sorting. Finally the aircon had pretty much stopped cooling despite having it regassed a year ago so it probably needs a new condenser. After doing all that it'd still be a potentially self-destructive engine and a car that my wife, in particular, was beginning to find difficult to get in and out of (it actually felt a bit lower than her Mk2.5 but I never measured them), so I decided that amount of money would be better spent on a newer car.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I take it you've been doing research into them so are they generally more reliable that the 1.0EB?  Are they still chain drive like the NA's?

Actually no, I did read a few reviews but it mainly came down to going out and looking. I'd pretty much decided on a Sportage then came across the Vitara and thought that looked quite good. I went for the 1.4 Boosterjet over the 1.0 purely for the greater power as I kind of equated them to the 99ps and 125ps Ecoboosts in the Mk3, assuming the Vitara would be a bit heavier (I haven't actually checked that). From the reviews the Kias scored a bit higher than Suzuki on reliability but they're both near the top. As far as I could make out the Kia petrols of the same age would be normally aspirated so I thought they'd feel a bit gutless. I don't know any details of the Vitara engines at all at the moment other than the Boosterjets are 3-cylinder like the Ecoboost. Maybe once I've joined their forum I can find out a bit more.

I haven't been able to find a workshop manual for the Vitara so far. Haynes don't do paper manuals for modern cars, it seems, and I couldn't be sure the one I found was correct for my model so I wasn't going to splash out 27 quid on it. I'm hoping the Vitara forum can help with that and the diagnostic software too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mjt said:

, assuming the Vitara would be a bit heavier (I haven't actually checked that). 

Like most Suzukis, it's actually pretty light for its class (about 1200kg I think). FWIW,  friends of mine have had the pre-facelift version (but with the n/a 1.6 engine) for about 5 years and have done about 50k in it with no issues whatsoever, so are very happy with it.

Hope it works out as well for you.

16 hours ago, mjt said:

Actually no, I did read a few reviews but it mainly came down to going out and looking. I'd pretty much decided on a Sportage then came across the Vitara and thought that looked quite good. I went for the 1.4 Boosterjet over the 1.0 purely for the greater power as I kind of equated them to the 99ps and 125ps Ecoboosts in the Mk3, assuming the Vitara would be a bit heavier (I haven't actually checked that). From the reviews the Kias scored a bit higher than Suzuki on reliability but they're both near the top. As far as I could make out the Kia petrols of the same age would be normally aspirated so I thought they'd feel a bit gutless. I don't know any details of the Vitara engines at all at the moment other than the Boosterjets are 3-cylinder like the Ecoboost. Maybe once I've joined their forum I can find out a bit more.

I haven't been able to find a workshop manual for the Vitara so far. Haynes don't do paper manuals for modern cars, it seems, and I couldn't be sure the one I found was correct for my model so I wasn't going to splash out 27 quid on it. I'm hoping the Vitara forum can help with that and the diagnostic software too.

Booster jet 1.0 is 3 cyl. But I'm sure the 1.4 booster jet is 4 cyl. 

• Like 1

Buy 3 get one Free !!

That's a result 🤣

• Haha 1