Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Ecoboost 2013 oil pressure problem

susan28

My 2013 fiesta has died, low oil pressure problem, warning light and flashing error message, 65.000 miles.

Phoned my usual garage and they basically said I need a new engine at a cost around £2 k - £2.5 k but even doing so it could happen again !!

So, my question is do I

1) scrap it ?

2) Trade it in, will a dealership even take it ?

3) sell it spares or repair ?

4) we buy any car (but they don't take non runners ) is it classed as a non runner ?

Any advice very much appreciate !

Firstly if the car was still working normally what value would you put on it ?

It's going to cost about £3000 + for a new engine to be supplied and fitted (PumaSpeed)

Trading it in is a very unlikely option. Unless you're willing to take £500 for it.

You could sell it for spares or repair but again you won't get much. If you're lucky maybe £1000

Yes we can safely class this as a non runner.

So now you just have to workout which answer is going to loose you the least amount of money. If you think the car is/was worth £7000 and you could repair it with an new engine for £3200 then you have saved £3800 !!!

• Like 2

I think Unofix has just about summed it up there.

15 hours ago, susan28 said:

Phoned my usual garage and they basically said I need a new engine at a cost around £2 k - £2.5 k but even doing so it could happen again !!

Bit puzzled by that as you won't get a new engine fitted for that price  but presuming they were talking about sourcing a used engine currently in working order, which would explain the comment that it might happen again (to the replacement)?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, susan28 said:

4) we buy any car (but they don't take non runners ) is it classed as a non runner ?

Sounds like they need to change their name if that's the case...  We Buy 'Most' Cars... :unsure: 

You could always try it on eBay for a week, listing the problem as honestly as you can.  Listing costs £15, then another £25-£45 if it sells.  So not cheap, but considerably cheaper than a new engine.  You would have to work out how much you'd need to take as spares & repair, for it to be more financially viable than replacing the engine.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 12:46 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I think Unofix has just about summed it up there.

Bit puzzled by that as you won't get a new engine fitted for that price  but presuming they were talking about sourcing a used engine currently in working order, which would explain the comment that it might happen again (to the replacement)?

I was assuming it was a new engine, second hand was not discussed. Garage said it will happen again cos they have to replace it with the same engine which is rubbish and no guarantee how long it will last.

On 8/11/2022 at 10:43 PM, unofix said:

Firstly if the car was still working normally what value would you put on it ?

It's going to cost about £3000 + for a new engine to be supplied and fitted (PumaSpeed)

Trading it in is a very unlikely option. Unless you're willing to take £500 for it.

You could sell it for spares or repair but again you won't get much. If you're lucky maybe £1000

Yes we can safely class this as a non runner.

So now you just have to workout which answer is going to loose you the least amount of money. If you think the car is/was worth £7000 and you could repair it with an new engine for £3200 then you have saved £3800 !!!

looked online for part exchange with Arnold Clark and clicked to say it had a warning light on dashboard and the online price was £2,674.

Anybody sucessfully done this and if so, what price did you actually get ?

Arnold Clark get accused of being many things but being stupid isn't one of them. They will not give you anywhere near £2674 once they check it and realise it needs a new engine. In fact to be honest I would expect them to decline taking it.

• Like 1

Had a quick look on AutoTrader earlier. Interestingly, there's a 2013 Fiesta ecoboost on there at a small independent - "needs new engine" £2395, and another with "engine rattle" at £3495 - refreshing honesty!. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

there's a 2013 Fiesta ecoboost on there at a small independent - "needs new engine" £2395, and another with "engine rattle" at £3495 - refreshing honesty!

How much is an average fully working 2013 Fiesta worth ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, unofix said:

How much is an average fully working 2013 Fiesta worth ?

Good question - there are some amazing variations in price on there (some seem to be just taking the p*ss!) but a fair smattering around the £5.5k mark from what I can see.

• Like 1

So realistically if it costs say a minimum of £3200 to fit a new engine plus very possibly new turbo, another £800 then for a garage to make it worth there while the top price paid would be £2000 but probably more likely £1500

• Like 2

18 hours ago, susan28 said:

I was assuming it was a new engine, second hand was not discussed. Garage said it will happen again cos they have to replace it with the same engine which is rubbish and no guarantee how long it will last.

It might be worth clarifying with them exactly what they were proposing so you have the full facts on which to make a decision. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club