Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Time to change ??

Phil3747

So, not wanting to hijack the "Is this goodbye ??" thread, I am just starting to have similar thoughts. 

Mine is a 2017 St-Line 1.0 Ecoboost with only 34k on the clock and full up-to-date service history and hasn't given me any trouble at all to date, I love the look of it (deep impact blue with 18" alloys) and I am still loving driving it, however, having read all the recent "Eco-Boom" threads on here lately, I just don't know if I can trust it to not follow suit ??

I don't like the shape of the Mk4 so that's out, don't particularly need/want an MPV/SUV as there's only me and the missus (although first grandchild is on the way), don't think I'm ready to go electric just yet, so what are people's thoughts....stick or twist ??

I'd stick ... I quite understand you don't like the shape of the Mk4 (although I have "got used to" mine) ... the Mk3.5 is a really pretty car and I struggle to think of an alternative that's as good-looking.

Aren't there warranty/insurance options you could explore?

For all the talk on this forum of "Eco-booms" are they really that common?

Cheers Linds...since I posted that a couple of hours ago, I've been looking for inspiration on Autotrader and quite like the look of this....

2018 Blue Hyundai Kona 1.0 T-GDi Blue Drive Premium Euro 6 (s/s) 5dr for sale for £13,990 in Dronfield, Derbyshire (autotrader.co.uk)

Similar spec to the Focus, I like the look of it (even though it's a mini-SUV) and the reviews are very good. 

Like I say, I just don't feel I can trust the Focus engine not to go boom and as for warranty's, I think most of them aren't worth the paper they're written on !!

Cladding arches & sills in dustbin plastic really doesn't do anything for me.  Not sure the Kona looks any better than the Mk4 Focus!  At least the interior looks alright, you don't have to see the outside while you're sat in it. :biggrin: 

I haven't found any modern cars I actually like the look of so far though.  On top of the Mk4 Focus/Mk8 Golf & Mk8 Astra all looking ugly and having far too many angles, they've all got the same interior design with the iPad stuck on the dash as well.  And everything other than those is jacked up with raw plastic everywhere for this crossover look that I'm not sure anyone asked for! :unsure: 

So to answer the question...yes, I'd want a change from the 1.0EB, given all the trouble with them now, but I can't really think of anything I'd want to replace it with!  Helpful, I know! :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Phil3747 said:

Cheers Linds...since I posted that a couple of hours ago, I've been looking for inspiration on Autotrader and quite like the look of this....

2018 Blue Hyundai Kona 1.0 T-GDi Blue Drive Premium Euro 6 (s/s) 5dr for sale for £13,990 in Dronfield, Derbyshire (autotrader.co.uk)

Similar spec to the Focus, I like the look of it (even though it's a mini-SUV) and the reviews are very good. 

Like I say, I just don't feel I can trust the Focus engine not to go boom and as for warranty's, I think most of them aren't worth the paper they're written on !!

I'm inclined to agree with Tom ... added to which I read somewhere that Hyundai's, particularly newer ones, tend to be smelly!  Though this one may be old enough to have reduced in smelliness!

I really don't think you'll find anything more handsome than your current machine.

Has anyone any idea of what proportion of Foci are actually going (eco)boom prematurely?!

SUV?

Driving position a few inches higher. A little more headroom inside. Boot a few litres bigger in some cases. Easier access for older passengers and easier to place a child into a child seat.... Is it any wonder they're so popular?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Linds said:

Has anyone any idea of what proportion of Foci are actually going (eco)boom prematurely?!

Would be an interesting statistic. Might be a very small looking figure, say 0.1%, but I bet it's 10x more than the proportion of non EB Ford engines that fail prematurely. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alanfp said:

Would be an interesting statistic. Might be a very small looking figure, say 0.1%, but I bet it's 10x more than the proportion of non EB Ford engines that fail prematurely. 

Maybe throw Ford an FOI ??????? Or would they decline as mainly US based

10 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

Maybe throw Ford an FOI ?

I think FOI act only applies to public/government bodies. 

• Like 1

The vast majority of popped EcoBoosts are well out of warranty and won't be taken to Ford for repair.  Ford themselves won't know the real number.  They could perhaps provide the number of warranty repairs that they've carried out on them.

I must admit, I'm sure there's some confirmation bias going on here, but I don't remember any other engine on any forum creating so many failure threads.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I must admit, I'm sure there's some confirmation bias going on here, but I don't remember any other engine on any forum creating so many failure threads.

It certainly would be good if we could get an accurate feel for this. As we've often commented many people initially come on forums like this because they have a problem with a fault or a delivery delay, etc. 

I know quite a few people who are not car enthusiasts, who have had one or more ecoboosts, been highly satisfied with them, and are blissfully aware of any issues.

Edit PS: And of course with Fiesta and Focus being best sellers in their class for many years (not at present of course) plus other applications such as B- and C-Max there must be a heck of a lot of them out there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Cladding arches & sills in dustbin plastic really doesn't do anything for me.  Not sure the Kona looks any better than the Mk4 Focus!  At least the interior looks alright, you don't have to see the outside while you're sat in it. :biggrin: 

I haven't found any modern cars I actually like the look of so far though.  On top of the Mk4 Focus/Mk8 Golf & Mk8 Astra all looking ugly and having far too many angles, they've all got the same interior design with the iPad stuck on the dash as well.  And everything other than those is jacked up with raw plastic everywhere for this crossover look that I'm not sure anyone asked for! :unsure: 

So to answer the question...yes, I'd want a change from the 1.0EB, given all the trouble with them now, but I can't really think of anything I'd want to replace it with!  Helpful, I know! :laugh: 

Yeah, that's basically what I was thinking...not really impressed with the current fayre on offer anywhere but the Kona has similar spec to my St-Line and I actually quite like the look of it in that blue/black combination.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Phil3747 said:

I actually quite like the look of it in that blue/black combination.

I'm not a big SUV/crossover fan** but I rather like the look of that Kona too. Not keen on the latest iteration though.

(**Might have to bite the bullet eventually, though - the back problems are not improving with age!)

Interesting that so many of us on here (and most of my friends) all seem to be struggling to find anything we might want to buy for our next vehicle. I wonder if the motor industry will still find problems with sales even when/if the current supply chain situation improves.

• Like 1

I'd have a Kona electric. ..........

Did I just say that.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Phil3747 said:

..stick or twist ??

I think the phrase you were looking for was Bust or Boom!

• Haha 2

On 8/14/2022 at 12:33 PM, Linds said:

For all the talk on this forum of "Eco-booms" are they really that common?

5 failures in the last 7 days unless I've miscounted.

To put it in to perspective how many other types of engines have been mentioned as being total scrap in the last 30 days ?

PumaSpeed alone have sold 318 replacement Ecoboost 1.0 engines

• Sad 2

Just purchase a Honda & be done with it!Once my Fiesta eventually goes,I won’t go back to anything Ford.Kona?Definitely not!Just think they look cheap.Even look at a Mazda, great build quality & ultra reliable.I have/had (passed to daughter)a  2005 Mazda2 Genki, approaching 200,000kms,these will do easily well over 300,000kms without any major issues.Just bulletproof little cars!

2005 Mazda, mmm let me think, not to much ....err basically a ford focus. 

Neighbour just bought a Honda civic. Not a bad looking car. 

Did think possibly Honda Civic but there's just too much going on with the styling - too many slashes etc. Mazda's, whilst admittedly being ultra-reliable all tend to look the same to me - like Lexus' (Lexi ??).

10 hours ago, Phil3747 said:

So, not wanting to hijack the "Is this goodbye ??" thread, I am just starting to have similar thoughts. 

Mine is a 2017 St-Line 1.0 Ecoboost with only 34k on the clock and full up-to-date service history and hasn't given me any trouble at all to date, I love the look of it (deep impact blue with 18" alloys) and I am still loving driving it, however, having read all the recent "Eco-Boom" threads on here lately, I just don't know if I can trust it to not follow suit ??

I don't like the shape of the Mk4 so that's out, don't particularly need/want an MPV/SUV as there's only me and the missus (although first grandchild is on the way), don't think I'm ready to go electric just yet, so what are people's thoughts....stick or twist ??

I may be wrong but didn’t ford update the ecoboom in 2017? I’m pretty sure that version is more reliable. But usually you’ll find in most cases if you service more regularly than ford recommend you won’t have many troubles, as I’ve heard, and if you don’t drive it like a 17 year old boy racer in a McDonald’s car park I very much doubt you’ll have issues that you wouldn’t face in any other modern car ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, iantt said:

2005 Mazda, mmm let me think, not to much ....err basically a ford focus. 

Not really.(think you need to research a little bit better than that.)Mazda developed the model from the ‘B’ segment Ford B3 platform which is ‘shared’ with the fifth generation Fiesta with components such as suspension design.The development of the model(Mazda2) was led by chief engineer Kiyoshi Fujiwara which also oversaw the development of the B3 platform @ Fords European R&D.More Mazda than Ford would you not say?

3 minutes ago, Foxxyblieu9 said:

I may be wrong but didn’t ford update the ecoboom in 2017? I’m pretty sure that version is more reliable. But usually you’ll find in most cases if you service more regularly than ford recommend you won’t have many troubles, as I’ve heard, and if you don’t drive it like a 17 year old boy racer in a McDonald’s car park I very much doubt you’ll have issues that you wouldn’t face in any other modern car ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hmmm, not sure when it was updated but mine was first registered in June 2017 and has had either 4 or 5 oil changes from new and as I spent 30 years persecuting boy racers and their ilk, I definitely don't drive like one.....the wife won't let me 😉

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Phil3747 said:

Hmmm, not sure when it was updated but mine was first registered in June 2017 and has had either 4 or 5 oil changes from new and as I spent 30 years persecuting boy racers and their ilk, I definitely don't drive like one.....the wife won't let me 😉

To be honest I genuinely don’t know. All I know is I’ve seen people replace damaged engines with 2017 engines as they’re updated supposedly 😛

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club