Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus MK3 clutch spring

ash29109

2012 1.6 titanium petrol focus mk3 

Noticed the clutch pedal spring is broken. Called ford who quoted £85 for a spring!

No it's not made out of gold

Contacted a few Ford dealers on eBay who advised part no I require is 1702376

Google search resulted in finding it on eBay for £72 for a poxy spring! Seriously! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Ford-Clutch-Pedal-Retracting-Spring-1702376-/393529769103?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Does anyone know of an alternative cheaper part?

Typical Ford! 🤣

Once bought a new sump plug from Ford - local motor factors had a couple but didn't know which one was the right thread.

Cost me almost nine quid from Ford! Back to motor factors and grabbed a couple of identical spares for £1.50 each.

Anywho, it's always worth looking around in non-Ford places. Back when I had my Mondeo, I could get an identical EGR valve from Jaguar of all places, and half the price of what Ford wanted.

Here's a clutch return spring for a Volvo. Looks identical, and fifteen quid. Which is still a bit steep for a spring but better than nearly £80.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323138912765?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1NDCRI9fzSrScO27ViOZhgw13&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=323138912765&targetid=1647205088280&device=m&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006543&poi=&campaignid=17206177401&mkgroupid=136851690655&rlsatarget=pla-1647205088280&abcId=9300866&merchantid=9436984&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3eeXBhD7ARIsAHjssr-3l_7x2VdftXP5DLDfEj5tQUrb-SZVxecnOW8utc1E8HJjt2tyboIaAjgLEALw_wcB

• Thanks 1

The clutch still operates as it should.

I may just leave it as it is and not bother replacing it.

Is it a must to replace it?

12 hours ago, ash29109 said:

It holds tension on the pedal to stop it 'resting' on the hydraulic MC and creating constant pressure on the hydro system which could cause excess wear.  There will be no immediate effects from driving without, depends how long you intend to keep the car.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ash29109 said:

I'd just replace it for the sake of a couple of quid. On the basis that it's there for a reason, my conscience wouldn't even let me sell the car on knowing that the spring had broken and it could cause bigger problems for someone buying it further down the line. But maybe that's just me.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Darkman said:

I'd just replace it for the sake of a couple of quid. On the basis that it's there for a reason, my conscience wouldn't even let me sell the car on knowing that the spring had broken and it could cause bigger problems for someone buying it further down the line. But maybe that's just me.

I agree but from Ford it's not a couple of quid it's over £70!

May take the gamble and purchase the Volvo spring at £14 I hope it's suitable 

Do you know of any other springs that may be suitable?

Yeah, when I said "a couple of quid" I definitely wasn't suggesting you go to Ford!

The volvo one was just the first one I found which was visually the same. I've since spotted others that were even cheaper. If all else fails - scrapyard would be a good bet for finding one.

Update: clutch spring for an Austin Healey appears identical, for a fiver. https://www.ahspares.co.uk/austin-healey/big-healey/clutches/return-spring-clutch-pedal-1.aspx?gclid=cj0kcqjwgo2xbhcaarisanrw2x2hwhmu6edtp-oxbmsuwjclqlobf1xbppuqqynqynf9uuq1ry66wr0aau9bealw_wcb

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club