Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil leak petrol 1.6 ti mk2 2006

scoobydo123

Helping out someone with their focus. Done the timing belt and before I even started I noticed oil collecting at the bottom of the compressor. When I started the engine after the timing belt change I noticed oil dripping from the ac compressor mounting bolts (lowest point). Took a picture and looks to be a union of some sort above the AC compressor. Couldn't get decent pictures as run out of time before work. Is there an oil feed or return in this area? Don't think I disturbed anything there closest I was was the removal of the starter to lockthe engine up but that was a waste of time as it just broke the single tooth from the tool so used the screwdrivers wedged near the driveshaft method. IMG-20220815-WA0001.thumb.jpg.de116983cab809652429f60a395bb3e8.jpgIMG-20220815-WA0000.thumb.jpg.1a7e97a77e0c3dedacf82f1723c26b9b.jpg

OK will need to take a closer look. Literally had 10 mins to put car back on the floor and tidy all tools up so just snapped the pictures. To confirm it was a constant drip well one every 40 seconds or so whilst engine was running after doing the timing belt and looked like it was coming from the area circled but as I say very quick look as I was very time poor and still am 😞

Screenshot_20220816-121234_Chrome.jpg

I'm not sure the circle helps lol...  That is the PAS pump area though.  

On the plus side, at least you'll get to use the stretch belt tool again. 

Yes not the best pictures or indeed the best circle:-) was so in a rush to pack up and get to work that was as good as it got at the time. Hopefully it is the reservoir as that was pulled out the way when I done the timing belt. Will of course keep you all updated and thanks for sticking with me 🙂

My power steering fluid reservoir developed a hairline crack in the moulded return pipe connector after I tried to repair a small leak. I first tried removing the return hose, cutting the first half inch off the hose and re-connecting it.

The leak unfortunately got a lot worse after re-connecting the hose. I discovered that removing and reseating the pipe had caused a crack at the right angle point of the moulded connector. I had to replace the reservoir itself.

Something similar could have happened if you had to move the reservoir out of the way.

The pipes also harden with age and can leak at the joints if disturbed.

Removing the driver's side headlight unit will make access much easier for replacing the reservoir if necessary.

OK thanks likely disturbed something during the timing belt change as you say. Havent got round to look as currently on holiday. Will keep you all updated - tks

• 1 month later...

Ok so there is no oil/fluid leak apparent. Think it must have been when I moved the power steering reservoir out the way when doing the timing belt it caused a few drips. Will monitor but so far everything is bone dry.

• Like 1

I found the stupid spring clips on the base of the PAS reservoir don't work once disturbed - swap for real worm drive clips and don't over tighten

on early cars they missed a bracing piece from the PAS high pressure pipe to the PAS pump mounting - when u get in there to swap out stuff or do a belt its very easy to stress and thus cause the high pressure pipe to fracture at its ridiculous quick fit coupling

should have been a recall for a freebie but they didn't do it - instead pretending to offer the pair of modified PAS pipes on the cheap - used to be in stock at most dealerships - you NEED to buy a new quick fit connector at the same time to do it right

and the mk2 should all run green PAS fluid like the correct owners manual states - but even ford messed up running out old stock and some factories used the wrong stuff that goes black and destroys the pump

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club