Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diesel Claim Compensation

Paul Focus 1.6Tdci Zetec

In 2012 I had saved hard and bought a  new Diesel 1.6Tdci Zetec, at the time promoted as the green future, ten years later I felt compelled to change it as next year the proposed Ulez charges mean I will pay £12.50 a day to drive it!

I had looked after and loved my 2012 focus, it had been dealer serviced and parked in a garage overnight and I had intended to enjoy it for years to come. As much as I now love my new 1.0 EcoBoost 125 ST-Line X 5dr, I think it's amazing as it does everything I personally desire, economical (over 50 mpg) is effortless, refined, fast enough and as far as I am concerned quick enough; I confess I still wouldn't have bought it if Ulez was not most likely being rolled out @ £12.50 to 33 London boroughs from August 2023.

I confess I still feel hard done by that I have felt forced to change and was wondering if anyone had applied Diesel Claim Compensation?

252600024_Focusmk3and4.thumb.jpg.0d9ab7489d137d76cb81a8abd7cba972.jpg

Hi Paul, on what grounds were you referring to diesel compensation claims? Isn't this more related to manufacturers who duped people with incorrect emission figures namely VW. Have Ford been found guilty of this, only curious?

• Like 1

If I remember, Ford and a number of other manufacturers are included in the list as it is claimed that the quoted mpg consumption figures were obtained using lab tests, not real on the road tests.

19 minutes ago, eddie eastwood said:

If I remember, Ford and a number of other manufacturers are included in the list as it is claimed that the quoted mpg consumption figures were obtained using lab tests, not real on the road tests.

Eddie you might be right but the majority of compensation companies seem to be citing emissions not efficiency as the reason to claim. I've had diesels from 2004 but unfortunately all as company cars, if in fact claims are successful.

• Like 1

Has anyone actually received any compensation.  The advert on the telly I keep seeing says you can claim compensation if you owned a diesel car OR you know someone who owned one.  Saying you can get compensation because you know someone who owned a diesel car sounds very unlikely to me. Sounds more like a downright lie doesn’t it?.   

Was diesel still being promised as the future in 2012?  About a decade too late for that as far as I remember.  All the R&D was already being put into tiny turbo petrols by then...

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Was diesel still being promised as the future in 2012?  About a decade too late for that as far as I remember.  All the R&D was already being put into tiny turbo petrols by then...

Agree with this, our company cars changed mandatorily from petrol to diesel in 2004

• Like 1

14 hours ago, isetta said:

Has anyone actually received any compensation...

That was the  motivation behind my post, I was wondering if any Forum members had any experience relating to this

13 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The tiny turbo petrols were available but I was on really offered Diesel

9 minutes ago, Paul Focus 1.6Tdci Zetec said:

Were you specifically looking at diesel, did the dealer only push cars in stock, did you get asked about your driving habits to determine if diesel was a better option for you than petrol?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paul Focus 1.6Tdci Zetec said:

The majority of Mk3 Focus's were 1.0 EcoBoost's.   Perhaps it's because I was just finishing college in 2012, but we could see that diesel was on the way out by then.  The CO2 based tax came out in 2001, that's when diesel was really being pushed as the 'clean' future.  Which it is in terms of CO2...just the gov't didn't seem bothered by NOx or particulates back then.

Just a heads up, in 10 years time you'll probably be compelled to go full electric...  I wouldn't be at all surprised if ULEZ zones eventually charged all ICE cars.

I bought it to replace another 10 year old focus, I knew I wanted another and simply asked what the new options were and if I recall they only pushed diesel, perhaps that was what they actually had to offer but none the less that's what they promoted

23 minutes ago, Paul Focus 1.6Tdci Zetec said:

I bought it to replace another 10 year old focus, I knew I wanted another and simply asked what the new options were and if I recall they only pushed diesel, perhaps that was what they actually had to offer but none the less that's what they promoted

Sounds like your issue is with the franchise salesman then, not Ford.

Thinking about it, I'm not really sure there's an issue at all.  If you walk into Ford and just say 'I've got a diesel Focus and want a new one', why shouldn't they offer you another diesel?

i notice theres a lot of scams going around about this

• Like 2

Had you bought the likely alternative in 2012, a 1.0 ecoboost, you would now be facing a wet cambelt change at £1400+, always assuming you had not already suffered a catastrophic failure, as many people, sadly, have. 

You have had long and good service from the car you bought and, as you say, would have been happy to keep it if circumstances were different.

I cannot see how Ford or their dealers are at fault for failing to predict a political move which was years in the future at the time of sale.

The diesel compensation claims are based on alleged misrepresentation of emissions by "cheating" to comply with official tests. I find it difficult to see how individual owners have in any way suffered from this. On the contrary, and particularly if a company car user, they have benefited from various tax advantages.

I have myself been approached by lawyers regarding claims in respect of diesel cars I have owned. As I had suffered no financial loss (and indeed, benefitted, as mentioned) this seemed to me unethical and I declined to have anything to do with it.

Also, as John mentions in the previous post, there are a lot of scams around this issue, so beware of giving personal information.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Had you bought the likely alternative in 2012, a 1.0 ecoboost, you would now be facing a wet cambelt change at £1400+, always assuming you had not already suffered a catastrophic failure, as many people, sadly, have. 

You have had long and good service from the car you bought and, as you say, would have been happy to keep it if circumstances were different.

I cannot see how Ford or their dealers are at fault for failing to predict a political move which was years in the future at the time of sale.

The diesel compensation claims are based on alleged misrepresentation of emissions by "cheating" to comply with official tests. I find it difficult to see how individual owners have in any way suffered from this. On the contrary, and particularly if a company car user, they have benefited from various tax advantages.

I have myself been approached by lawyers regarding claims in respect of diesel cars I have owned. As I had suffered no financial loss (and indeed, benefitted, as mentioned) this seemed to me unethical and I declined to have anything to do with it.

Also, as John mentions in the previous post, there are a lot of scams around this issue, so beware of giving personal information.

Agree 100%

It's a much a case of if I didn't want to miss out on something that many were getting just because I was naive in how to apply for it, hence my post to see what forum members have been doing.

10 minutes ago, Paul Focus 1.6Tdci Zetec said:

It's a much a case of if I didn't want to miss out on something that many were getting just because I was naive in how to apply for it, hence my post to see what forum members have been doing.

Judging by the response, I don't think many (if any) have got anything or in fact claimed?

25 minutes ago, tomo2001 said:

Judging by the response, I don't think many (if any) have got anything or in fact claimed?

That appears to be the case which reasures me that I'm not doing anything wrong by doing nothing!

I did check the Martin Lewis site (Click) and although it is referenced it is not as informative as I'd expect of this was a popular thing to do

3 minutes ago, Paul Focus 1.6Tdci Zetec said:

That appears to be the case which reasures me that I'm not doing anything wrong by doing nothing!

I did check the Martin Lewis site (Click) and although it is referenced it is not as informative as I'd expect of this was a popular thing to do

Out of interest, how many £12.50 ULEZ charges has the new car cost you? Could you have kept the diesel?

• Like 2

This mostly came about because the PPI claim deadline meant lots of PPI centres had to change tack and find something else to do.

• Like 3

"Out of interest, how many £12.50 ULEZ charges has the new car cost you"

Nothing yet, it's next year Ulez is planned to be rolled out to where I live; I probably use my car between 4-7 days as week on average. My theory changing before I needed to was if I waited I may have less to choose from interms of a replacement plus my car may be worth less part exchange. 

• Like 1

So you were hoping to get on the compensation bandwagon because you “felt” you had to change cars, a car you “felt” pushed into buying even though you could have told the dealer exactly what you want or could have walked away and bought something else.

How you could even think of applying for compensation is beyond me, when the situation you are in is your own doing.

Your comments noted MarkST, thank you for your response

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club