Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Filter

rob80

hi all.need a few opinions.im thinkin of air filters.was thinkin of strippin all airbox out of focus and going for the cone filter.but if i take out airbox,id be takin the cool air flow out aswell so doing it this way i wont be gettin cool air. just warm air will be goin through.but was thinkin that it would be better to keep airbox where it is because of the cool air flow at the front and getting a k and n filter(which iv been told are really good).has anyone else got cone filters??or k and n filters.or is it possible to somehow get a cone filter and have it inside the airbox.any comments wud be great.cheers

hi all.need a few opinions.im thinkin of air filters.was thinkin of strippin all airbox out of focus and going for the cone filter.but if i take out airbox,id be takin the cool air flow out aswell so doing it this way i wont be gettin cool air. just warm air will be goin through.but was thinkin that it would be better to keep airbox where it is because of the cool air flow at the front and getting a k and n filter(which iv been told are really good).has anyone else got cone filters??or k and n filters.or is it possible to somehow get a cone filter and have it inside the airbox.any comments wud be great.cheers

the best option is panel filter in the standard box cones are quite frankly hopeless once you restrict a cone keepinh it in the box you rob the power from the car cones soak up heat even with shielding honda experimented with them on the new civic type r and concluded the performance filter in standard box gave the best power gains having had cars with various setups i would say the filter and standard box is the best option all a cone really does is loose power and make a noise thats about it a cone will lose 3-6bhp once the heat soak sets in not gain power as they all claim even with a cold air intake it makes little difference to the heat soak.

ford spend a lot of cash developing the air intakes etc if it was more economical and gave better gains why doesnt every manufacturer whack a cone on? because they dont do what they say they d.

on the vws we had issues where the cone filter was knackering the mafs by allowing small amounts of oil through k and n denied it but the facts spoke for themselves we were shown the real power figures from a member and the k and n cone gave him 2 bhp more power a little more low end poke but higher up the range it robbed the car the best was the performance filter inside the normal airbox if you want noise and no to little power gain and to be robbed of higher end torque get the cone if you want to keep the car normal with a little bit better driveability put the panel filter in from say k and n or pipercross ideally a non oiled filter is best

to be honest the cone was the last thing on my mind.seems daft to start taking things out when its the perfect setup anyway.well,it will be once a decent air filter is in.going to go for k and n.(been told that they have a longer life span than normal air filters-is this true??)it is pointless putting a cone in.seems stupid to change it all just for a bit of a noise from the air filter.cheers for advice mate

to be honest the cone was the last thing on my mind.seems daft to start taking things out when its the perfect setup anyway.well,it will be once a decent air filter is in.going to go for k and n.(been told that they have a longer life span than normal air filters-is this true??)it is pointless putting a cone in.seems stupid to change it all just for a bit of a noise from the air filter.cheers for advice mate

the k and n panel filters never need changed you simply wash them dry them and pop them back in at 35 quid they are a bargain as youll never need to replace it ever

the best option is panel filter in the standard box cones are quite frankly hopeless once you restrict a cone keepinh it in the box you rob the power from the car cones soak up heat even with shielding honda experimented with them on the new civic type r and concluded the performance filter in standard box gave the best power gains having had cars with various setups i would say the filter and standard box is the best option all a cone really does is loose power and make a noise thats about it a cone will lose 3-6bhp once the heat soak sets in not gain power as they all claim even with a cold air intake it makes little difference to the heat soak.

ford spend a lot of cash developing the air intakes etc if it was more economical and gave better gains why doesnt every manufacturer whack a cone on? because they dont do what they say they d.

on the vws we had issues where the cone filter was knackering the mafs by allowing small amounts of oil through k and n denied it but the facts spoke for themselves we were shown the real power figures from a member and the k and n cone gave him 2 bhp more power a little more low end poke but higher up the range it robbed the car the best was the performance filter inside the normal airbox if you want noise and no to little power gain and to be robbed of higher end torque get the cone if you want to keep the car normal with a little bit better driveability put the panel filter in from say k and n or pipercross ideally a non oiled filter is best

Non-Oiled is best why is that? surely it says in the service of K&N Filters that you need to service them with there so called "special oil" or something?

Damien

Non-Oiled is best why is that? surely it says in the service of K&N Filters that you need to service them with there so called "special oil" or something?

Damien

there are dry filters and oiled filters most k and n panel filters require oil if you do oil it be stingy with how much you use the bare minimum the reason is simple really it was a common thing on vws that the oil if used a bit too much on the filter eventually gets into the maf necessitating cleaning of the maf regularly or replacement of the maf this was mainly down though to people putting too much oil on the filter the k and n is preoiled but yoiull notice you cant even tell theres any on it when you do wash it which is needed very rarely then use the spray oil specifically for the k and n and only use a few sprays

these are the best prices around http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?Manufacturer=Ford&Model%252F%2520Series=Focus%2520MK1&_nkw=panel%20filters&_dmpt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&_fcid=3&_localstpos=ky4%208ld&_sc=1&_sop=15&_stpos=ky4%208ld&gbr=1

avoid the pipercross from previous experience thay arent very good

i got my k&n pannel of eBay for 24.96 with free delivery and prefer it to my cone it dosent make that stupid noise which after a while grates on you trust me knn are the best all rounders just make sure its clean and gets serviced every time u service the car (as previousally mentioned service kits about 10quid of eBay again) the performance gaines are minimal but mine seems to run a tiny bit smoother and be a tiny bit better on the go go juice with a bit more shuv in gear.

By cool air flow do u mean in the engine bay or actually in the car its self

Mike

i got my k&n pannel of ebay for 24.96 with free delivery and prefer it to my cone it dosent make that stupid noise which after a while grates on you trust me knn are the best all rounders just make sure its clean and gets serviced every time u service the car (as previousally mentioned service kits about 10quid of ebay again) the performance gaines are minimal but mine seems to run a tiny bit smoother and be a tiny bit better on the go go juice with a bit more shuv in gear.

By cool air flow do u mean in the engine bay or actually in the car its self

Mike

there are mods you can do to the standard airbox to get cooler denser air to it one is to remove the noise restrictor the smaller rectangular box next to the main airboxd and put a cold air feed from there to just behind the front upper grill it will create a bit more noise as well however it wont do that much other sites claim it does but the amount of air that goes into the box is determined on the size of the box you cant make any more air go into it than you already do as the size of the airbozx is consistent the best way to do anything is replace the panel filter with the k and n the airflow increses as the filter lets nmore air through than standard ones best analogy is imagine trying to breath through youre mouth with a thick piece of card shoved over it its very difficult and requires a lot of energy thats youre standard filter now try the same with a piece of thin cotton its very easy to breath thats the k and n.

having tried various setups on other cars ive had the panel filter is the best though to help with heat soak through the airbox you can buy metallic tape that is heat reflective line the inner upper portion of the airbox with this so any heat the plastic does soak up is reflected back away from the filter the focus bay isnt the coolest around when its up to temp and been running a while its pretty hot in there this stuff is ace http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/25MM-HEATSHIELD-LIGHTWEIGHT-HEAT-RESISTANT-SILVER-TAPE-/300422299400?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45f2907f08

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club