Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Puma stop/start hill start

Jamoritch

Just got my new Puma a few days ago and loving it! One small issue I have though is when coming to stop on a hill or slight incline. I come to a stop and have my foot on the brake with the clutch dipped. The engine stops then when I come to go the engine doesn’t start again, I get a message on the dash and then go back on the brake to stop myself rolling, the engine starts and I can go. Anyone had anything similar?

You’re supposed to take it out of gear and release the clutch. Then when you press the clutch again the engine will restart. 

It will wear the release bearings if you sit with your foot on the clutch. 

• Like 3

This sounds like an annoying issue with 'rolling stop'.  It cuts the engine at around 5mph with the clutch dipped (can be adjusted in the dash menu).  This is different to conventional stop start that required the clutch to be lifted in neutral to stop the engine.

I get what Alex is saying, but in stop start traffic or rolling up to a junction and can see it's clear, you wouldn't go back to neutral, though the engine will have stopped.

I'd suggest turning down the sensitivity of rolling stop, or turning it off altogether if possible.  See if that helps at all.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

This sounds like an annoying issue with 'rolling stop'. 

Very.

I've had similar experiences with VW group cars with DSG. In theory you should, as Alex says, apply the handbrake and slip into neutral but that's not very practical if you are, say, inching along in stop/start traffic that just happens to be on a slope and you are only stopping for a few seconds at a time.

• Like 1

I pity anyone taking a driving test in one of these. The handbrake will be worn out, but on the plus side the examiner will have witnessed you doing a hill start a couple of hundred times 🤣

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club