Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear mk4 door trim misaligned

Shinetop

Hi 

Anyone had experience of how to fix misaligned upper plastic chrome trim on mk4 rear door?

Am I correct in thinking that it’s bonded to the rubber seal beneath it?

Any help/advice on a self fix or is it a job for the professional body shop?

cheers

Steve

08B478C9-43BC-4B4D-8CCD-50DD1790599F.jpeg

F69D8060-1E77-4D57-BCAC-1A519309FCD8.jpeg

On a 2022 model I'd have it straight back to the dealership and let them sort it out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Agreed. That looks more to do with an incorrect adjustment of the driver's door.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys, this is a’70 plate , less than couple weeks in our possession. Didn’t notice at first , so back to garage I think…

16 minutes ago, mjt said:

That looks more to do with an incorrect adjustment of the driver's door.

On an older car I'd just put the window down, open the door and put my knee against the door while bending the window frame towards the inside of the car, BUT I'd not be doing that on my brand new car 😉

Your profile says it's Ford Year 2022

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unofix said:

On an older car I'd just put the window down, open the door and put my knee against the door while bending the window frame towards the inside of the car, BUT I'd not be doing that on my brand new car 😉

Your profile says it's Ford Year 2022

The garage will probably just do that for you while you're out of sight....

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, unofix said:

On a 2022 model I'd have it straight back to the dealership and let them sort it out.

You'd have to wonder, all those 'quality control' people you always see on factory style TV documentaries in car production, do they have really low standards at Ford, or were they off that day with Covid??

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

You'd have to wonder, all those 'quality control' people you always see on factory style TV documentaries in car production, do they have really low standards at Ford, or were they off that day with Covid??

I’m surprised it didn’t get picked up by the laser alignment check tbh. It’s either that or something has happened to the door in the 2 years since it left the factory. 

It’s definitely a 2020 car, my profile has just been edited.

I can see why it looks like a door issue, but all other contact points and ‘lines and gaps’ seem good. 
The top bright trim in question seems to be set at an angle. Bending the door top doesn’t look like solving the issue and the trim is connected to the rear glass panel and could be risky. 
If we were talking about a 10 year old car, then a pair of molegrips (with some protection of trim in place) could be used to lever it back  in line with front section? …maybe….

It is the the whole of the window frame from the point where the frame meets the top edge of the door that is out of position. No tools (especially 'molegrips') required to realign the frame. It's a job that should take the bodyshop no more than ten minutes to fix.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club