Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2012 1.6 mk3 focus battery replacement

ash29109

2012 1.6 titanium petrol focus mk3

Does anyone have a guide they can kindly share with me to replace the car battery

Thanks 

And most important. After the battery has been replaced the BMS (battery Monitoring System) needs to be reset.

Also be aware that the new battery needs to have the same specifications (capacity and CCA) as the old one. Installing a higher capacity / CCA battery requires reconfiguration of the direct configuration of the BCM. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JW1982 said:

And most important. After the Battery has been replaced the BMS (Battery Monitoring System) needs to be reset.

Also be aware that the new battery needs to have the same specifications (capacity and CCA) as the old one. Installing a higher capacity / CCA battery requires reconfiguration of the direct configuration of the BCM. 

Bummer, I've done exactly that, purchased a higher capacity battery!

Purchased this one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D21-Car-Battery-12V-Varta-Silver-Dynamic-Sealed-Calcium-5-Yr-Warranty-Type-075-/252646084384?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Any ideas how I can reconfigure the BCM?

It can easily be changed using FORScan and a good ELM327(modified) USB lead.

Download FORScan (its free for use on a laptop) : https://forscan.org/download.html

ELM327(modified) USB lead : https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/USB_Modified_with_switch_ELM327/p4541936_17045457.aspx

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, unofix said:

It can easily be changed using FORScan and a good ELM327(modified) USB lead.

Download FORScan (its free for use on a laptop) : https://forscan.org/download.html

ELM327(modified) USB lead : https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/USB_Modified_with_switch_ELM327/p4541936_17045457.aspx

Do you know what values in forscan I need to change and where? The car does not have stop/start

Factory battery is:

Silver calcium 
Ford brand
500cca
52Ah

The new battery is:
Varta
Sealed calcium
600cca
61Ah

Can it only be done via forscan?

I called my local garage who have non specific ford diagnostic machine which covers all vehicles. Could that do it? Or can it only be done by forscan?

As far as I know it has to be either Ford main dealer equipment or FORScan which is nearly the same level.

Settings for the battery are selected from a drop down menu so it's a case of selecting the closest match.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can I fit the new battery in the interim and remove the BMS? Until the usb lead arrives?

would the manual reset procedure help?

9 hours ago, JW1982 said:

And most important. After the Battery has been replaced the BMS (Battery Monitoring System) needs to be reset.

I did not know this! Had my battery replaced by Halfords almost 2 years ago & it occasionally pops up with Low battery on the dash. No idea what was in before or what's in now, still worthwhile me resetting?

To program a different capacity battery on a Focus MK3 there are 2 things that need to be done.

1: Parameter #210 of the CCC (Central Car Configuration) need to be changed in both the BCM and IPC to the correct Hexadecimal code. This can be done with Forscan.

2: Parameter #EE3B of the Direct Configuration of the BCM needs to be changed to the correct value. This can only be done with a diagnostic system that has the ability to change the Direct Configuration. For example UCDS. As far as I am aware Forscan and the Ford IDS/FDRS system do not have this ability (I own all of these systems so I am quite sure about this).

Temporarily fitting the larger capacity battery without changing the configuration is no problem for a short period. The larger capacity battery will just not be fully charged. On the longer term however not being charged sufficiently will drastically reduce the life expectancy of the battery.

You have to make sure that the new battery is the correct type. Most MK3 versions have Start/Stop in combination with a BMS (Battery Monitoring System). This system requires an EFB (Enhanced Flooded Battery). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

To program a different capacity battery on a Focus MK3 there are 2 things that need to be done.

1: Parameter #210 of the CCC (Central Car Configuration) need to be changed in both the BCM and IPC to the correct Hexadecimal code. This can be done with Forscan.

2: Parameter #EE3B of the Direct Configuration of the BCM needs to be changed to the correct value. This can only be done with a diagnostic system that has the ability to change the Direct Configuration. For example UCDS. As far as I am aware Forscan and the Ford IDS/FDRS system do not have this ability (I own all of these systems so I am quite sure about this).

Temporarily fitting the larger capacity battery without changing the configuration is no problem for a short period. The larger capacity battery will just not be fully charged. On the longer term however not being charged sufficiently will drastically reduce the life expectancy of the battery.

You have to make sure that the new battery is the correct type. Most MK3 versions have Start/Stop in combination with a BMS (Battery Monitoring System). This system requires an EFB (Enhanced Flooded Battery). 

Thanks, very useful.

My car doesn't have stop start, what does the BMS do?, could I just be done with it and disconnect it?

My current battery is totally flat, need to jump start it, so I've got the new battery which I'm looking to install asap.

Given that I do not have the usb lead, would the manual reset procedure help?

What is the correct manual reset procedure? I've seen so many different ones!

Factory battery is:

Silver calcium 

Ford brand

500cca

52Ah

The new battery is:

Varta

Sealed calcium

600cca

61Ah

Just fitted the new battery, disconnected the BMS lead, didn't do the manual BMS reset procedure.

Car started fine, with no warning lights, windows works fine. Just had to re tune radio and clock.

If it's not a big issue I may not bother getting the usb lead and install forscan to set the correct parameters.

What are the pros of cons in having the BMS configured Vs having it disconnected?

Found this on the forscan forum, if the BMS sensor is unplugged

unplug the sensor on the negative battery cable and the pcm will default to a "traditional" charging system and maintain a steady charge voltage of around 14-14.5v

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club