Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 05 P2176 and P0036 errors

Mike Jacob

Hi a month ago I had EAC fail on dashboard, pulled over stop the engine and the error was gone.

This week EAC fail again.  I went home from work with this warning some kind  of limp mode.  (it stays at 1500 rpm and drive really slow) still it's a semi and I was able to shift gears. 

I have arrived home and bought an obd scanner and errors from above showed up.

I cleaned the Throttle body, disconnected  the battery reset these errors  and where gone. It drive really nice for 2 days.  

Now the errors are back again, even if I reset problem comes back again. Car just stays idle at 1500 rpm and doesn't respond to acceleration. 

I was blaming throttle body, but it can be the sensor for oxygen P0036 error? This one is harder to get to it, I have to takeout the plastic case and whippers. 

I really love this car and I do not want to give up yet. Had a couple of problems with it and I fixed all with your guys help. 

Anyone have any other idea? TA

Also if i remember rightly that code is for the downstream o2 sensor which is just a monitor so wouldn't normally cause any drivability issues just an eml light.

33 minutes ago, Ecosport2019 said:

Also if i remember rightly that code is for the downstream o2 sensor which is just a monitor so wouldn't normally cause any drivability issues just an eml light.

So back to throttle body? Could MAF sensor go wrong? Still no error for it. 

Using a generic code scanner will not show Ford specific DTC's.

You possibly have far more accurate DTC's stored that will give more information than the basic generic codes that you have been able to read.

Use a laptop with the software FORScan (It's free) and a ELM327(modified) USB connecting lead and you will then be able to see the Ford codes on both the HS and MS canbus.

FORScan: https://forscan.org/download.html

ELM327(modified) lead: https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/USB_Modified_with_switch_ELM327/p4541936_17045457.aspx

Anyway that's how far I can think of: Throttle body flap doesn't open and it's sends an electrical signal to ECU and then ECU enters in limp mode, letting fuel without air in ignition system, after exhaust before catalytic convertor Oxygen sensor picks up lack of oxygen or rich fuel exhaust triggering the P0036 fault. and it's goes in a loop. Tomorrow after work I will try to open the hose above Throttle body and see if it's open, if NOT it might be the motor that opens the flap (because why not it might have one) I liked good old days when car didn't had that much electronics. Anyway I'm just a novice I used to learn from old cars and that's it theory left for me, no experience. 

Also I might blame battery it's a bit low but I'm guessing it wont start the engine from the first key. Starter has power but the tiny motor from the flap no?

I will give a try but it might take some time.  This problem it's the deepest so far lol

As unofix said, with the right software you can do throttle activation so wont need to guess if the motor works.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ecosport2019 said:

As unofix said, with the right software you can do throttle activation so wont need to guess if the motor works.

Yup I will give  a try. Ty to you and him. I will come with updates when I have time. 

I opened up the intake hose for throttle and start the engine it doesn't open. Anyway I'm to tiered work, then back again home and working on the car. It's needs time to fix this one. I will come with more updates when I'm more fresh. 

It wont open on idle, not enough for you to see anyway.

Im afraid you need the software, you will be able to check live data on the throttle pedal to see if its varying voltage and do a actuator test on the throttle body.

Plus i think there will definitely be more codes than you are getting.

So I checked my car with forsccan. Still same errors and one P1000 but from what I read that's because of recent disconnect of battery

After I connected the reader the error from the cluster it's gone. But on the program faults still appear. Should I order an throttle body? And a downstream sensor as well?

But the car now runs. I can rev the engine and it works. The only thing that fails might come back again on cluster dashboard. 

Use FORScan and clear all the DTC's.

Then if the problem comes back you will only have the new DTC stored.

• Like 1

So I clear all the DTC's. I stop the engine, restarted and just these faults are back again. 

You make it sound like you cleared them with the engine running?

And you havent said what codes came back

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

😁 So I have to clear them with the engine off? Same faults as in title. I drive the car like 10 miles it's drive normal. Waiting to see after the engine cools off if something happens...

Always clear the DTC's with the engine off and ignition on.

Then switch ignition off, wait a few seconds and turn ignition back on to check that all codes have cleared.

I clear the DTS with ignition on. Waited a few seconds still same errors. Here is wait it's show me. 

PXL_20220925_162322307.jpg

Could be the connector? It's hard to take it off I might try but intake manifold it's right above connector. Might be one wire dosen't send signal to the ECU. But that's  odd. 

Ok im not a common user of forscan ( maybe someonecan assist), only used it today to install my reverse camera.

You need to see if there is an active test to get the throttle body to cycle from full to closed throttle, if it doesnt move then clearly there is an issue with it, either the unit itself of a wiring fault. Now i have had a few of these many years ago with multi plug corrosion so definitely take the plug off to have a look, maybe a extra long screwdriver/hook tool will help? If there is any green colour present then you need to use some electrical cleaner and and airline to blow it out.

Even if there is no green present then try to close the terminals up slightly on the plug, it costs nothing.

Any way the car drives now. I will check tomorrow connector. U0401 faults plus the ones from the title might be an wire issue. . I hope it's just the connector. If not I will drive the car until maybe will come back on limp mode. 

Forgot to say the throttle flap moves when I rev the engine. Not much but it does. It's move more after I Stop the engine (probably when ECU do some checks). I put my friend to take a video in slow motion. 

It involved for me do a lot of research with these issues. 

Mystery... A mystery.

Thank very much you for  all the hints. 

Sometimes U codes can stay present until the engine has done a few drive cycles 

• Thanks 1

A fun fact. Carburettor or throttle body become electronic because in the past people used a screw driver to adjust the air flow on the intake when they where driving in mountains at higher altitudes where air is not that much. Just come across about this info a couple of days ago. So I take back what I said about complex systems. 🙂

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club