Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Faulty immobiliser?

Roguefysh

Hi all,

I was taking the car (Mk2 Focus Zetec Climate 1.6) in today for work on the brakes, but when I tried to start it the dash lit up, the immobiliser light flashed rapidly, but it didn't try to turn over. I tried the spare (hard-coded) key and it started straight away. On the way there I noticed some serious lag in 3rd gear, then the dash died and came back to life about a mile later. The lag was there throughout. The garage rang this afternoon to say they couldn't get the car started, same symptoms as this morning. I left them with the hard-coded key. I'm not too worried about the dash, my mk1.5 had very similar issues, so I can probably sort that myself, but the immobiliser is a problem. Does the mk 2 have any common issues in this area that I should suspect first? I'd rather not ask a garage to investigate an unknown issue, that's just a licence to print money. Thanks in advance.

The immobiliser on the Mk2 goes through the dash cluster.  Very common fault, solder joints dry out and crack giving poor connections. 

Slapping the dash can sometimes get it to work briefly.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The immobiliser on the Mk2 goes through the dash cluster.  Very common fault, solder joints dry out and crack giving poor connections.

The more I hear people having this issue, the more depressed I get that mine may also follow trend. Hopefully, they used the good solder on mine, and not the dolphin friendly one 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Hopefully, they used the good solder on mine

You can't beat some good old 60/40 Lead tin solder with real rosin flux. You get a proper joint that lasts forever and the lead and rosin flux are only a bit toxic. I can't see what all the fuss is about 🤣

• Like 1

So I have the same cluster issue I had with my 1.5, just worse because the immobiliser is now included with the cluster? I mean, at least I know how to fix it if that's the case. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, unofix said:

...the lead and rosin flux are only a bit toxic. I can't see what all the fuss is about 🤣

Surely they are only toxic if you eat them? Whose going to do that?? LOL

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club