Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

What has happened to the Halfords discount card?

StephenFord

Tried to use my discount card today in Halfords on purchasing a DAB radio aerial. At  the till, it scanned in with a confirmation tone but did not take off any discount, is the discount card we got on joining this forum now void?

The Halfords Discount Card still works but not sure the discount extends to audio equipment and accessories according to their T&Cs.

Incidentally, the existing Halfords Card is only valid for 15% until 31st December 2022 when it will reduce the discount level to 10%

• Thanks 1

Yeah they used to do radios but pulled the plug on electronics like stereos and satnavs. All other stuff is still ok/

4 hours ago, Steve said:

All other stuff is still ok/

I'd not be so sure about 'other stuff'. I got refused discount on a can of tyre inflation repair foam. I was told it wasn't part of 'Motoring' !! ( as it happens it was for my wheel barrow 🤣 )

Before long Halfords will have priced themselves out of the market and will be entered in to the hall of names from the past like Woolworth's and British Home Stores.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, unofix said:

...the hall of names from the past like Woolworth's and British Home Stores.

and Debenhams, Littewoods, Comet, Virgin Megastore, Dixons, PC World.... gosh, I feel a new thread coming on LOL

• Haha 2

If you have a technical/ engineering qualification you may be able to get a Trade card, which will give you a discount of 10 - 20%

1 minute ago, alanfp said:

If you have a technical/ engineering qualification you may be able to get a Trade card, which will give you a discount of 10 - 20%

I tried to bluff my way into one of those cards, didn't work 🤣

13 hours ago, StephenFord said:

I got one in my first year of college...but I did buy a car from the manager of our local branch. :laugh: 

Discounts vary massively.  bulbs were often 50% or more!!

16 hours ago, StephenFord said:

I bluffed my way into a trade card. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Bulbs were often 50% or more!!

I think that's right.  It's always a mystery what discount you'll get - you don't know until you get to the till.  The last discount I got a few months ago was 19.2% off a car battery.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, iantt said:

I bluffed my way into a trade card. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Now, I really, really tried, but failed miserably...

I just tried to use my discount card and the girl said it was an old card that no longer scanned and I would need to go into the Ford Owners Site and get a discount code !!  Really ?  

1 minute ago, Edge of Reason said:

I just tried to use my discount card and the girl said it was an old card that no longer scanned and I would need to go into the Ford Owners Site and get a discount code !!  Really ?  

It does scan, not only can you hear the till giving out a confirmation tone, but on their screen it states that it has scanned. Now whether you have come foul of an item they simply don't offer the discount on (Like I did), is another matter.

Oh, Halfords staff often are trained to a low standard, which they like to maintain! I speak as someone with a 40+ year career in retail management having lost count of the number of 'customer service' training sessions I have written and given...

• Like 2

Had an email from Admin. It appears my card may be old and expired. The barcode on mine ends 670, when it should end 071.   Might be worth folk checking theirs if they’ve had them a while. 

Ian

3 minutes ago, Edge of Reason said:

... It appears my card may be old and expired. ..

LOL, in that case, in true modern governmental terms, I'd like to make a U turn on my last post! :laughing: Though the comment on 'training' still is valid. My code does indeed end in 071.

• Haha 2

Just now, StephenFord said:

LOL, in that case, in true modern governmental terms, I'd like to make a U turn on my last post! :laughing: Though the comment on 'training' still is valid. My code does indeed end in 071.

Mind you don’t trip over Liz or Qwasi on your way out !!  😂 

• Haha 2

I’ll see what Trevor from Admin comes back with as a solution and let folk know, but I’m hoping he’ll send me a new card out. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Edge of Reason said:

I’ll see what Trevor from Admin comes back with as a solution and let folk know, but I’m hoping he’ll send me a new card out. 

A new card on its way to you today 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

I was told by Halfords that they won't accept the cards anymore but they will honor the discount this time only, they also said I would have to contact the owners club for either a replacement card, a new discount code or an app based membership.

this was back in august, it really puts you off buying from them, does anyone else have to stand there for the best part of 15 minutes as the barcode never works?

Any help would greatly appreciated.

34 minutes ago, Scorchi said:

I was told by Halfords that they won't accept the cards anymore but they will honor the discount this time only...

Now, when you said you were told by 'Halfords', was this from a spotty Herbert manning the tills as his primary Saturday job, or from someone proper?? :laugh:

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Scorchi said:

I was told by Halfords that they won't accept the cards anymore but they will honor the discount this time only, they also said I would have to contact the owners club for either a replacement card, a new discount code or an app based membership.

this was back in august, it really puts you off buying from them, does anyone else have to stand there for the best part of 15 minutes as the barcode never works?

Any help would greatly appreciated.

Just check your card. Mine didn’t end 071 so was expired. Incidentally I’ve just renewed my club membership so have received another card just the other day so I have a choice of two now. Both end 071.  Remember the 15% ends at the end of the year in favour of 10%. Like everything these days, inflation affected. 

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

was this from a spotty Herbert manning the tills

So he's been moved to the Northern Ireland branch ? I thought I'd not seen him in Halfords Durham for a few weeks 🤣

11 hours ago, unofix said:

So he's been moved to the Northern Ireland branch ? I thought I'd not seen him in Halfords Durham for a few weeks 🤣

Nope, not here, we have Spotty Seamus in residence at my local Halfords  :laughing:

• Haha 3

We have dithering dotty now. The queue is half way round the store as they study how the till works 😧

• Haha 3

To be fair most of the time we have good staff on the till, but prefer the thick ones as you can get away with using the ford discount card and then the trade card to get massive discount. 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club