Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk7 Stone Chips

Dave_M

Hi

Just looking for info on the Fiesta Mk7 and came across this thread dating back to January 2010.

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/ford-c174454.html

As you will see, it's about the stone chips around the leading edges of the rear wheel arches and it looks to affect, quite badly, all Fiesta Mk7's - especially the 5 door models.

As I have just ordered a Fiesta 5 door model, I am quite concerned about this problem and after reading through the article, Ford did have a fix which i think was a plastic coloured coded film which is fixed to the affected areas but, the advice from another user was to fit the Ford branded mudflaps which, I think solves the problem.

Comments welcome from other 3/5 door Fiesta Mk 7 owners.

Dave

Hi

Just looking for info on the Fiesta Mk7 and came across this thread dating back to January 2010.

As you will see, it's about the stone chips around the leading edges of the rear wheel arches and it looks to affect, quite badly, all Fiesta Mk7's - especially the 5 door models.

As I have just ordered a Fiesta 5 door model, I am quite concerned about this problem and after reading through the article, Ford did have a fix which i think was a plastic coloured coded film which is fixed to the affected areas but, the advice from another user was to fit the Ford branded mudflaps which, I think solves the problem.

Hi Dave, my understanding is that these chip protectors are fitted as standard now on all new Fiesta's, unless they stopped doing it, My fiesta is 17moths old and i have had flaps fitted since new and to date have no damage in this area, fingers crossed now ive said that.......cheers

Dave

We had genuine Ford mud flaps fitted to ours from brand new - it is now 16moths old, with 16K on the clock - there are several stone chips on the lower front of the rear wheel arches. Ours is the 5 door model.

Hi

Dave

I've had my 5dr since last November. It has the plastic film and I fitted the proper mudflaps. So far, no problems on the wheel arches (though I have a few tiny chips on the front bumper picked up last winter when the paint was still soft, I think).

My three door is fine, no chips at all on the rear wheel arch 15,000km later :-)

The side skirt I believe helps me here.

Hi

Ive had my 5 door for 12 months /24000 miles.

I have no Mudflaps,No sticky tape and No chips.

Ford have sold 700,000 fiesta mk7 in Europe in the last 18 months (to May),

You have managed to find one person from Turkey on an American complaints website with this "major fault",

I have no idea why are you "quite concerned".

If it really is bothering you ,and you nothing better to do,go to a supermarket or shopping centre car park and wander round looking for 5 doors and see how many have this major problem,

If I was you I would be more worried about the paint flaking off the front bumper/wheelarch which has been experienced by a few people on here.

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for your reply.

I need to correct you on your comment that "I found one person from Turkey that had this problem"; if you read the whole article from start to finish, there were many buyers who had this problem, in fact, too many to count and Ford obviously thought it serious enough to put out a fix but, you should not be getting this type of exterior paint problem from a major company such as Ford. It makes me wonder what they were doing during all the months of trials the Fiesta went through. With reference to the link, I actually I found it in these forums and it dated back to January this year, so our members back then were obviously concerned enough to raise the issue then.

As for me, I've not bought a new Ford since 1991 and I'm keen to buy a Mk7 Fiesta but I must say that having bought many new cars over the years, I am quite amazed to find so many issues (the soaking carpets, stone chips to rear wheel arches and fuses blowing when using interior 12v accessory socket, to name but a few). Ford is a big player and these types of issue should have been sorted out during building and the hundreds of hours of arduous testing that they go through.

Will I buy the car? I contacted Ford and they assured me that these issues have been resolved at the factory level so, I think so because, as I said, I very much like the new Fiesta and it will be quite a change from my 2008 Vauxhall Corsa which, by the way, did not have any such problems.

As for your Fiesta, you were either very lucky or did you only take it out on 'nice days'? :D

Regards

Dave

Our five door has the plastic strips you mentioned, and there are no stone chips 12k miles later :D

not at the back, but front bumper and bonnet are littered with them, so much so, that when getting rid of the flies, it's hard to tell what is a chip, and what is a fly!

My 5-door was built too early to have the plastic strips. Looking at the distribution of thrown-up dirt I reckon mud flaps can't be relied upon to prevent stone chips and I'd be interested in having the plastic strips retrofitted. Has anyone had this done?