Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Parking sensors not working

Habib987

Hi all, need some help. My parking aid system has a fault. Fault short to ground on both front and rear circuits. 

Been to a few auto electricians but have been advised to try changing the parking aid module as this connects both front and back sensor's. 

What I wanted to know is, does the 2nd hand parking module has to have exactly the same details written on it, as my original. I mean every single written detail. 

Any help will be appreciated 

Screenshot_2022-11-02-17-18-13-91_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg

Just now, Habib987 said:

Hi all, need some help. My parking aid system has a fault. Fault short to ground on both front and rear circuits. 

Been to a few auto electricians but have been advised to try changing the parking aid module as this connects both front and back sensor's. 

What I wanted to know is, does the 2nd hand parking module has to have exactly the same details written on it, as my original. I mean every single written detail. 

Don't wanna buy a new one as I'm not 100% sure that's the issue.. that's why I'm looking for a used one. 

I'm not sure about the Galaxy, but on my focus, when there is a fault on the parking sensor system, it throws up all sorts of fault codes. You may find that it's a sensor that's at fault rather than the module. The modules tend to be quite reliable unless you have water leaking in at the module location. 

2 hours ago, Nathan Buffery said:

I'm not sure about the Galaxy, but on my focus, when there is a fault on the parking sensor system, it throws up all sorts of fault codes. You may find that it's a sensor that's at fault rather than the module. The modules tend to be quite reliable unless you have water leaking in at the module location. 

Thanks for the reply, I have tried the tests on the sensors, but can't find the fault. Out of desperation took to an auto electrician to check and was told to try the module, if not the module then I'm gonna have to leave it some one to check all the wiring in parking circuits 

3 hours ago, Habib987 said:

Don't wanna buy a new one as I'm not 100% sure that's the issue.. that's why I'm looking for a used one. 

How do you know short to ground on both circuits? got dtcs? 

32 minutes ago, iantt said:

How do you know short to ground on both circuits? got dtcs? The idea behind the module replacement was that the module is the common denominator between both circuits and I was told it's unlikely both circuits will have problem at the same time. 

Yes, plz see pics. The idea behind the module replacement was that the module is the common denominator between both circuits and I was told it's unlikely both circuits will have problem at the same time. 

IMG_20221102_160612.jpg

IMG_20221102_160624_Bokeh.jpg

Have you tried clearing all the codes and see what returns? 

What parking aid do you have, just front and rear or park assist? 

10 minutes ago, iantt said:

Have you tried clearing all the codes and see what returns? 

What parking aid do you have, just front and rear or park assist? 

Yes I've cleared the codes but the 2 on the PAM come back. The others are cleared. I have front and rear only

3 hours ago, Nathan Buffery said:

Yes regarding the water ingress near the module location, I have noticed come condensation or water in the rear light housing, which is near the module location. That's why I'm thinking of trying the 2nd hand module route. I have read in a couple of forums that people have had this issue with their ford's, because of the location of the module and the common fault of water ingress through the rear of some ford's.

Finding a reliable auto electrician is very tricky and expensive, been to 3 different people and got different possible causes without them really looking into the fault. (Not blaming them, they have waiting lists longer than my arm). Their advice and experience was what I needed really. 

51 minutes ago, Habib987 said:

Yes I've cleared the codes but the 2 on the PAM come back. The others are cleared. I have front and rear only

Ok, as you say there's separate power supplies and separate connectors  to the front and rear sensors so my guess would be the module too. How much is a second hand module. All the part number needs to be the same except for the last letter , same or higher up the alphabet. Should just plug and play. 

I'm pretty sure I read on another thread, that when theres a fault on the parking sensor system, it affect the whole system. In other words, the fault codes that show might not be telling the truth. This was certainly true on my system. After I cleared the codes and activated the system again, the first fault that came up was a rear sensor, and that's what it was. 

Mind you, I see you live in the West Midlands, you have loads of scrap yards up there. You'll easily pick a module up for £20 and it'll be easier to replace then sensors. 

17 hours ago, iantt said:

Ok, as you say there's separate power supplies and separate connectors  to the front and rear sensors so my guess would be the module too. How much is a second hand module. All the part number needs to be the same except for the last letter , same or higher up the alphabet. Should just plug and play. 

Thanks for the reply and info, Yes there's seperate circuits for front & rear, and I'm looking for a 2nd hand module to try. I'm sure it won't cost much to try. Will keep you updated. 

16 hours ago, Nathan Buffery said:

Mind you, I see you live in the West Midlands, you have loads of scrap yards up there. You'll easily pick a module up for £20 and it'll be easier to replace then sensors. 

Yes mate, I will definitely look for a module, and swap them over. Hopefully that works. If not back to the auto electricians lol. 

7 minutes ago, Habib987 said:

Yes mate, I will definitely look for a module, and swap them over. Hopefully that works. If not back to the auto electricians lol. 

Screenshot_2022-11-25-15-23-40-05_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.thumb.jpg.bf7618b732d3770f591718f1538db611.jpg

Screenshot_2022-11-26-14-31-59-38_e5d3893ac03954c6bb675ef2555b879b.jpg

Just now, Habib987 said:

Screenshot_2022-11-25-15-23-40-05_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.thumb.jpg.bf7618b732d3770f591718f1538db611.jpg

The top pic is my original module.

The 2nd pic is one I just found on eBay

Can done tell me if they are the same plz? 

All numbers are same except the small numbers at the bottom.

I'm presuming they are same! 

On 11/26/2022 at 2:35 PM, Habib987 said:

Hi again, I've swapped over the park assist module, with a 2nd hand module.

The parking aid system both front and back worked for great for 5 minutes, then the front parking sensors stopped working, but the back ones are fine. 

At least I know the system is working.

I need to figure out why the front sensors stopped working. 

I believe you can here the sensors "ticking" when they are working. It may take a few attempts, but you'll need to clear the codes, enable the system and have a listen to the sensors on the front to try to identify which one is faulty. If you have 6 sensors on the front, be aware that the two outer sensors are different to the other four. 

I assume you have Forscan? If you have a decent adapter I would also look at updating the firmware on the parking module. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nathan Buffery said:

I believe you can here the sensors "ticking" when they are working. It may take a few attempts, but you'll need to clear the codes, enable the system and have a listen to the sensors on the front to try to identify which one is faulty. If you have 6 sensors on the front, be aware that the two outer sensors are different to the other four. 

I assume you have Forscan? If you have a decent adapter I would also look at updating the firmware on the parking module. 

Hi buddy, thanks again for the great advice. I have forscan and I've cleared the DTC's. However I've not updated the firmware, hoe do I do that? If you don't mind me asking?

There are no DTC's for the parking sensors now, however a new DTC has popped up, it's for the clutch pedal sensor, don't know if that's anything to do with sensors. I have tried the ticking sound method, however I can only hear the ticking noise on the rear sensors which are fine. None of the front sensors ticking.

I will look into, how to update the firmware of the parking module.

Thanks again. 

IMG_20221201_160954.jpg

I cant see the clutch pedal fault having anything to do with your parking sensors. After you clear the DTC's on the parking sensors, does the a fault come up on the front sensors? Or are you saying that no fault shows but the front sensors are not working? Also, do the sensors just beep, or do you have a visual representation? 

In terms of updating the module, it's better that you read the instructions on the Forscan website, as there is a danger of you bricking the module. I speak from experience!! Its not that difficult to update, but there are a few things that you'll need.

A decent adapter is a must. I use, and Forscan recommend, the 'Vlinker'. A windows laptop with the latest version of Forscan loaded up with access to the internet (I have tethered my phone and it seems to work ok). Its up to you whether you buy the extended license or have the free trial, but i would say, you'll get a quicker response from Forscan support if things goes wrong, with the paid license. Either way, you'll need the license. You'll need to have a battery charger connected to the car whilst doing the update and also have the laptop plugged in.

By the sounds of it, I would think that water has got into one of the connections on the front sensors, or one of them is faulty. You could take the connections apart and give them a good spray with WD40. 

As well as looking at the fault codes in FORScan, have a look at all the PID's relating to the Parking Sensors/Module. they should be in either the PAM Module if that is showing or the BCM or both. Use the search function.

You should be able to see Live Data from the Sensors and given that the system did work for a while it may be a wiring or connector fault.

If you do get Live Data up then give the wiring and connectors a wiggle test while someone is looking at the Data.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tizer said:

As well as looking at the fault codes in FORScan, have a look at all the PID's relating to the Parking Sensors/Module. they should be in either the PAM Module if that is showing or the BCM or both. Use the search function.

That's interesting, I was unaware that you could get live data from the PAM. If that's the case it should be quite straightforward to identify where the fault is. 

4 hours ago, Nathan Buffery said:

That's interesting, I was unaware that you could get live data from the PAM. If that's the case it should be quite straightforward to identify where the fault is. 

Thanks guys I'll give that a go, will keep you updated. 

14 hours ago, Tizer said:

You should be able to see Live Data from the Sensors and given that the system did work for a while it may be a wiring or connector fault.

If you do get Live Data up then give the wiring and connectors a wiggle test while someone is looking at the Data.

Thanks mate 

14 hours ago, Nathan Buffery said:

I cant see the clutch pedal fault having anything to do with your parking sensors. After you clear the DTC's on the parking sensors, does the a fault come up on the front sensors? Or are you saying that no fault shows but the front sensors are not working? Also, do the sensors just beep, or do you have a visual representation? 

In terms of updating the module, it's better that you read the instructions on the Forscan website, as there is a danger of you bricking the module. I speak from experience!! Its not that difficult to update, but there are a few things that you'll need.

A decent adapter is a must. I use, and Forscan recommend, the 'Vlinker'. A windows laptop with the latest version of Forscan loaded up with access to the internet (I have tethered my phone and it seems to work ok). Its up to you whether you buy the extended license or have the free trial, but i would say, you'll get a quicker response from Forscan support if things goes wrong, with the paid license. Either way, you'll need the license. You'll need to have a battery charger connected to the car whilst doing the update and also have the laptop plugged in.

By the sounds of it, I would think that water has got into one of the connections on the front sensors, or one of them is faulty. You could take the connections apart and give them a good spray with WD40. 

After clearing the DTC's, there are no fault codes relating to front sensors but they are not working. They are the ones that beep only. No camera.

Regarding your other ideas, I'll try the WD40, and then think of the firmware update. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club