Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How do I find out if I've got the latest keyless entry system which is more secure

stoolzo

Hiya, how do I find out if I've got the latest keyless entry system which is more secure I've read it was updated around 2019 I've got a 2019 Ford ecosport. Apparently it disabled the wireless system if you're not within two days of the car or something like that so it can be scanned easily, is this correct?

Edited by stoolzo

1 minute ago, stoolzo said:

Apparently it disabled the wireless system if you're not within two days of the car or something like that so it can be scanned easily, is this correct?

Incorrect.

Although the keyless entry on the front passenger door, and rear doors will be disabled once the car battery State Of Charge (SOC) falls to less that 70%.

The Keyless entry on the drivers door will be disabled once the car battery SOC falls to less than 60%.

The new design of keyfobs are commonly known as sleepy fobs because after they are put down, for example on a table, they will go to sleep and stop transmitting. It takes about 2 to 5 minutes to go to sleep. Once you pick the fob up then it will wake back up and begin to work as normal.

• Like 1

Stand next to your car door. Put your key on the ground in front of you. Wait a couple of minutes (upto 5 mins). Try to open your door by pulling the handle. If it doesn't open your key has gone to sleep 💤

• Like 2

sorry guys I thiink i've crossed some wires here, I dont think my car has "keyfree" tech, I cant open the door without the fob and the handle lacks the little raised marks that cars seem to have with this. on the handle.

My main concern is stories i've heard about having my fob scanned and car stolen, if I dont have "KEYFREE" does this mean it cant be scanned and stolen in that way, so do I need to use a Faraday key pouch at all?

Sorry to trouble you all again, its really hard to get accurate information on this, the manuals are useless.

Keyless entry and key free starting are 2 different systems as such. You have key free starting and therefore someone can scan your fob and gain entry and start the car unless you have the later fobs that go to sleep. So leave a fob  in the car and wait 10 mins for fob to potentially go to sleep. If you can start car without moving the fob then you don't have the sleepy version. Faraday pouch is then recommended. Cheap enough on amazon

Apparently the EcoSport is in the top 10 cars stolen. Why????? 🤣🤣

Screenshot_20221127-121239.png

31 minutes ago, iantt said:

Apparently the EcoSport is in the top 10 cars stolen. Why?????

Not something that the owners of milk floats would ever need worry about 🤣😂😂🤣

43 minutes ago, iantt said:

Keyless entry and key free starting are 2 different systems as such. You have key free starting and therefore someone can scan your fob and gain entry and start the car unless you have the later fobs that go to sleep. So leave a fob  in the car and wait 10 mins for fob to potentially go to sleep. If you can start car without moving the fob then you don't have the sleepy version. Faraday pouch is then recommended. Cheap enough on Amazon. 

Apparently the EcoSport is in the top 10 cars stolen. Why????? 🤣🤣

Screenshot_20221127-121239.png

Bit of variety...after every 10 Fiesta's they fancy something different. :biggrin: 

On topic though, if they don't have keyless entry, crims would have to smash a window or break a door lock to get in.  Would think any thieves would just be looking for keyless entry & start to keep the car in perfect condition.

I personally wouldn't bother with a Faraday cage without keyless entry.  Each to their own though.

54 minutes ago, unofix said:

Not something that the owners of milk floats would ever need worry about 🤣😂😂🤣

Yeah, they wouldnt get far🤣🤣🤣🤣

ok cheers, so let me get this straight, as mine doesnt have keyless entry they could scan my fob but would have to break in to get it going, so the alarm would go off, so they'd be probably looking elsewhere for one with keyless.

if you had the newer system you could disable keyless and have best of both worlds, do you know if its possible to upgrade the fobs to the sleepy ones, even on my non keyfree model?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club