Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi mk6 help

Mh95

Hi all,

I have owned my Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi mk6 for almost 1.5 years now. It has been a great car, cheap tax, insurance, fuel etc. However, the last couple of months I’ve encountered a problem that is getting significantly worse. 

When starting my car, my idle revs fluctuate a few hundred rpm and the car chugs. If I drive, the car feels like it’s losing power (for a split second every so often) and goes into limp mode. This problem isn’t as bad once the car has warmed up. 

I’ve had issues with the electrics, the radio turns off randomly and isn’t connected to the ignition abe airbag light comes on/off intermittently also. Not sure if this is related but anyway…

I’ve read people having similar problems with this car but am yet to find a solution. I took it to a garage where they told me injector 3 had gone. I got this fixed and the issue persists. Another mechanic suggested the MAF so I had that done, nothing changed. I read the EGR valve is a common fault so I replaced that myself and no change. 

I have just bought some contact cleaner and will try to clean all electrical contacts. 

I have spent over £400 now on this car and had to rent a car to commute to work for a week. Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is getting to the point where the car is costing a fortune and I’m unable to use it. 

Many thanks,

Marc 

1 hour ago, Mh95 said:

I took it to a garage where they told me injector 3 had gone. I got this fixed and the issue persists. Another mechanic suggested the MAF so I had that done,

Well that sounds like a lot of guessing and just hoping for the best.

Get a laptop and download FORScan (its FREE for use on a laptop) you will need an ELM327(modified) cable which is £19.95 and then you can get all the Ford stored DTC's and carry out some proper diagnosis.

FORScan: https://forscan.org/download.html

ELM327(modified): https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/USB_Modified_with_switch_ELM327/p4541936_17045457.aspx

When replacing a faulty egr the egr learnt values need resetting or the new egr won't open /close properly. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 5:24 PM, iantt said:

When replacing a faulty egr the egr learnt values need resetting or the new egr won't open /close properly. 

I have made the purchase just waiting for delivery. Am I able to reset EGR values with this software?

In addition, here is the diagnostics report, apologies I forgot to mention it earlier: 

P0101-EO - MAF (Mass Air Flow) Circuit Range/Performance Fault - Continuous Memories DTCs 

P0113-60 - IAT (Intake Air Temperature) Sensor Circuit High Input - Continuous Memories DTCs 

Р0203-70 - Injector 3 Circuit Error - Continuous Memories DTCs 

P0269-70 - There Is A Code Indicating A Fuel Injection Timing Error - Continuous Memories DTCs 

P0238-0 - Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Sensor #A Circuit High - Continuous Memories DTCs 

P0100-FO - MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor - Continuous Memories DTCs 

P0238 - Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Sensor #A Circuit High - Freezeframe Mode2

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes. You can use FORScan to reset the EGR learnt values.

11 hours ago, Mh95 said:

I have made the purchase just waiting for delivery. Am I able to reset EGR values with this software?

In addition, here is the diagnostics report, apologies I forgot to mention it earlier: 

P0101-EO - MAF (Mass Air Flow) Circuit Range/Performance Fault - Continuous Memories DTCs 

P0113-60 - IAT (Intake Air Temperature) Sensor Circuit High Input - Continuous Memories DTCs 

Р0203-70 - Injector 3 Circuit Error - Continuous Memories DTCs 

P0269-70 - There Is A Code Indicating A Fuel Injection Timing Error - Continuous Memories DTCs 

P0238-0 - Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Sensor #A Circuit High - Continuous Memories DTCs 

P0100-FO - MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor - Continuous Memories DTCs 

P0238 - Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Sensor #A Circuit High - Freezeframe Mode2

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did they reset the codes first? That seems a lot, I'd be hoping to see just a few otherwise you could be on a wild goose chase, hunting old codes!

Good afternoon all,

My OBD2 has just arrived. I reset the codes and read them using Forscan as recommended and unfortunately, there is a lot. These include:

- P0203-70 - Injector 3 circuit fault
- P0269-70 - A code is present to indicate that there is a problem with the fuel injection timing
- P0272-70 - "^"
- U0140-20 - Lost communication with the GEM/PJB
- U0151-20 - Missing CAN message from the RCM
- U0155 - Lost communication with the instrument panel cluster control module
- U0155-20 - "^"
- U0146-20 - Lost communication with gateway A
- U0151-20 - Lost communication with RCM
- B1499-20 - Lamp turn signal left circuit failure

I understand there is a lot here and people are busy but if anyone can provide any advice it would be greatly appreciated. I've already spent £400 on this car and the value is probably no more than £1,000 when fixed. I'm not in a position to get another car right now and need one for commuting to work.

Kind regards,

Marc

• Like 1

Hi Marc,

lets start with something that might not seem very important but actually can probably tell us quite a bit.

1 hour ago, Mh95 said:

- B1499-20 - Lamp turn signal left circuit failure

Do any, all, or none of the left indicator lamps work (don't forget to check the side indicator) ?

Get to me asap with the answer and I will be able to tell you what to check next

18 hours ago, unofix said:

Do any, all, or none of the left indicator lamps work (don't forget to check the side indicator) ?

Hi unofix,

I appreciate the response and help. I’ve just checked and the indicators all seem to be working fine! 

There are some electrical issues though. For example, my radio isn’t linked to the ignition, will turn on/off randomly, sometimes when I use indicators etc. it doesn’t show up on the dashboard. I’m not sure if these are linked to the main issue but just in case this is useful. 

Many thanks,

Marc

There would seem to be two very strong possible causes of the problems.

(a) Faulty instrument cluster. A common issue due to poor quality solder joints on the connectors and circuit board. One on the canbus 'End of Line' termination resistors (120 ohm) is located on the instrument cluster. Any breaks in the connections will cause random canbus faults and things like warning lights on the IC either don't work or stay on all the time. The instrument cluster can be repaired/refurbished for around £90 just search the internet or eBay for companies.

(b) The General Electric Module (GEM) which is part of the passenger compartment fusebox (PJB) is known on many models to get water leaking into it. To inspect it first disconnect the negative battery lead. Remove all plugs from the GEM and check for signs of water ingress and greenish corrosion of the connector pins.

• Like 1