Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Light

SMK7

Hi,

Looking for some advice. For the better part of the last year the engine light has been coming on and off on my focus MK4 diesel 1.5. I've taken it to a few guys who have put it on their machine and have been told it's the EGR. When it first happened my Ford pass app said it was a DPF/EGR problem. Now, the app just gives a 'service engine soon' notification.

The last mechanic I took it to said he had done a forced regen on it but recommended that I get both the EGR/DPF mapped out. Would this be recommended? Are there any downsides to this and how much would it likely cost? At my tethers end with this

thanks guys

Downside of mapping out the DPF is that it will never be cleared, so will just clog up solid with soot until the backpressure wrecks the turbo and eventually stops the engine running altogether.

You could have the DPF physically removed first, but that's an immediate MOT fail nowadays.

If the EGR is knackered, that could be clogging up the DPF more quickly than usual.  Alternatively, if you're only doing very short journeys, the DPF may just not be able to cope with that.  Changing car to something without a DPF would be the best option if that's the case.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Downside of mapping out the DPF is that it will never be cleared, so will just clog up solid with soot until the backpressure wrecks the turbo and eventually stops the engine running altogether.

You could have the DPF physically removed first, but that's an immediate MOT fail nowadays.

If the EGR is knackered, that could be clogging up the DPF more quickly than usual.  Alternatively, if you're only doing very short journeys, the DPF may just not be able to cope with that.  Changing car to something without a DPF would be the best option if that's the case.

Thanks for the input mate. I drive a 27 mile round trip nearly every day for work at rough 50-60 mph the whole way. There's currently 54000 miles on the car so not sure why either is playing up yet 😕

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, SMK7 said:

Thanks for the input mate. I drive a 27 mile round trip nearly every day for work at rough 50-60 mph the whole way. There's currently 54000 miles on the car so not sure why either is playing up yet 😕

In that case the DPF should be fine.  Really needs to be put on some Ford diagnostics as I suspect it's a sensor fault rather than the EGR or DPF themselves.

I would suggest getting a decent quality lead and FORScan software so that the codes will pinpoint exactly what is wrong

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

an update. I have it now booked in with a local dealer for diagnosis on request of Ford themselves. The dealership asked me on the phone what was wrong and I told them about the light, that I've had the codes for insufficient flow on EGR/DPF etc 

The guy booked it in over the phone for next Monday but while doing so he said my reg was throwing up for him that there was a recall on my car for powertrain module update? He added though that this wouldn't be the reason my engine light was coming on now or any code relating to EGR..

what do you think?

thanks

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club