Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Expiration Date on tyre sealant.

Retired Terry

This is a heads up notice

Over the weekend I had one of my tyres punctured on my car by someone, which dose not have a spare wheel but dose have the compressor and a bottle of tyre sealant, so I went to use it to do a temporary repair. As it turned out the damage was worse than I thought it was. As fast as the compressor was putting the air in , it was coming out, as turned out the bottle of tyre sealant, I had was out of date, as the product was out of by date by 2 years, so that explained why it did not work.  

I went to the local parts store to see if I could find a similar product but they did not have so I had to go to the main ford dealership to get a replacement bottle (that cost me a little under £70.00). I also asked the gentleman behind the parts counter if this a recyclable product. The answer "I do not know!!!!". That stumped him. Some how I think I just throw a pebble in a pond that is going ripple out to all parts of fords empire. 

I am trying to figure out why there is a expiration date on this product. Sales gimmick,or is something within the product degrades over time.  

I hope this is of help to everyone.

Terry.                   

P1000005.JPG

P1000007.JPG

I don't trust the stuff that is why I always ask for a spare wheel to be fitted when I order a new car or swap my old one to the new one if it hasn't got one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

£70 for that rubbish.   I wouldn't have it in the car.   I always have a spare wheel.   The sealant id totally unreliable.

• Like 4

Latex is a natural substance so it does degrade over time. 

The metal can is recyclable, but whether it's safe to put a pressurised can in the normal ferrous metal recycling at the dump I couldn't say.

As per what others say, there is no decent substitute for a spare wheel. Even if it’s not exactly the right size tyre (obviously the wheel has to fit) or the tyre has not much tread at least it’s a ‘get you home’‘solution . 

• Like 2

I forgot to say, it was a case of I had a set budget to purchase a car, as it was purchased from a independent car trader, so the option of a spare wheel was not a option. You pays you money and takes your chances. As the I would have liked to was well out side my budget. 

As my previous was 14 years old but the time I part exchanged it.

To get a spare wheel for the car are out of my price bracket. And I know want is going to be said by a second hand wheel, they are the same cost of a new wheel and tyre where I live. And I am not comfortable buying second hand parts like wheels and such like. 

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Latex is a natural substance so it does degrade over time. 

The metal can is recyclable, but whether it's safe to put a pressurised can in the normal ferrous metal recycling at the dump I couldn't say.

The can is not pressurised, and it looks like it is a hard form of plastic, and has no indication if it can be recycled.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Retired Terry said:

And I am not comfortable buying second hand parts like wheels and such like. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you buy 4 second hand used wheels with your last car ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, unofix said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you buy 4 second hand used wheels with your last car ?

True, but considering that the had only 23,000+ miles on the clock when I purchased it and the amount I paid for it, to me it was risk at the time. 

12 hours ago, Retired Terry said:

The can is not pressurised, and it looks like it is a hard form of plastic, and has no indication if it can be recycled.  

Ah that's interesting, thanks.  Obviously different to the older tyre repair cans I've had!  (My 'new' Focus did come with a spare wheel so I haven't seen one of these in the flesh yet.)

Manufacturers are under legal obligations to make the vast majority of materials in cars recyclable now.  I don't know whether 'accessories' like this would be included though.  Plastics often have their material spec moulded into them somewhere.  If you can find that, I can tell you whether it's kerbside recyclable or not.

Goodness me, such debate over a tiny objects recyclable credentials!! The UK tosses about 14 Million tons of cr*p into landfill annually, I wouldn't lose sleep over that bottle. If it worries you, post it to me and I'll happily put it in the 'bin'...

and as for the poor guy in Ford not knowing if you could recycle it, if you asked the person on a supermarket checkout if a bottle of 'x' you bought was recyclable, would you really expect them to know?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If the majority of Fords from the last decade have one of those, and they're now expiring, it's worth knowing whether or not they can be recycled.

As an aside, household waste doesn't go to landfill here in the EoE.  It's burnt to produce electricity.  And the ash is then magnet-fished to pick out any ferrous.  Pretty effective system that reduces some of the guilt caused by the impact of non-recyclable plastic. 

Of course, it's still worth reducing waste overall, as it has to be transported by trucks creating emissions, and the incineration process causes some emissions, etc.  Still better than just burying it without any long term plan for what to do when we run out of suitable ground space.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

...Pretty effective system that reduces some of the guilt caused by the impact of non-recyclable plastic...

Now, what 'guilt' would you be speaking of Tom? :biggrin: 

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

Now, what 'guilt' would you be speaking of Tom? :biggrin: 

That's clearly an area where we differ. :wink:   

I do feel responsible for the impact I have on other people and the environment.  I'm well aware that many others don't.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

That's clearly an area where we differ. :wink:   

Well, I do drive a 17 year old car which contributes to a low carbon footprint rather than the humongous creation of any 'new' car, (ICE or EV!) :laughing:

Blimey I seem to have started something here. !!!!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Retired Terry said:

Not really, it's just how the internet works...

1 minute ago, Retired Terry said:

Nothing new, most threads go this way. 

So.... getting back to these Halford puncture repair kits. If they have a 'use by' date make sure to get at least a couple of punctures and get your monies worth 🤣

puncture.JPG

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, unofix said:

So.... getting back to these Halford puncture repair kits. If they have a 'use by' date make sure to get at least a couple of punctures and get your monies worth 🤣

puncture.JPG

You've eaten the crayon on yours though. 

• Haha 2

I would be inclined to get this repair kit Instead. 

Screenshot_20221202-203408.png

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, iantt said:

I would be inclined to get this repair kit Instead. 

Screenshot_20221202-203408.png

I have successfully used one of those before and carry one in my Boot although I think they are only meant to be for temporary repairs and may fail a MOT, but I'm not certain.

I normally use these for my puncture repairs - highly recommended...

modern.thumb.jpg.56184ec8c53229d5e9145ccedbb61882.jpg

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Tizer said:

I have successfully used one of those before and carry one in my Boot although I think they are only meant to be for temporary repairs and may fail a MOT, but I'm not certain.

Won't fail mot as far as I'm aware. Think it's a better idea than spray foam. But a bit more fiddley and time consuming. Know a lad at work who did puncture on his BMW 5 and it last a couple of years until he had to change tyres due to worn out. 

• Thanks 1

Just reminded me my partner said the tpms was on in her fiesta a couple of days ago. So thats me busy Monday lunchtime if there's a puncture . Will have to slum in an ecoboost fiesta to work. Don't keep tyres so it better be a puncture I can fix.