Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Key Fobs tested and ok diagnostics say car sensor issue

JJG

Hi again guys. I’m now happily driving a Nissan qashqai but my nephew’s focus titanium x 2012 still has a key fob issue. I purchased a tester to connect to the car (forgot the name but shaped like a scart plug) and the only error was a speed sensor. That was replaced and has no errors at all. In case it’s me being a *****, the car was booked in to a garage and put on their diagnostic machine and that too had no errors. They gave a number for a guy who only repairs key issues and charged £55 to run a diagnostic on the key fobs. Both work perfectly. He then said the remote sensor in the car needs checking. To book it in, they charge £100 per hour but I depending on what they find the actual fault is, after the diagnostics it could take a few hours or a few days to repair. 

My question is for the more experienced with repairs, costs and values. It is a focus 2012, 62 plate, 60700 miles titanium x. Meinheim through auto trader said £4500 but because the remotes do not work dropped their price to £3000 as they class vehicles with non working fobs as only having one key (don’t understand that). We buy any car offered £3700 as it is. As the garage who said the car remote unit is probably the cause but cannot say how long or the cost (but not more than £1500 ex vat), would you guys advise on repairing or just selling as-is to we buy any car?

if anyone has an idea on an actual repair that would be great. I have asked on this site some months ago but left the car as it was until my new car was ready. Ford’s last year also quoted around £1500 as they said they would not waste time trying to find the fault but just reprogram the car as if it had been stolen and needed new keys. I tried all the steps to reprogram and was sure the fobs were okay as when you open the car with the key, if you press a button (lock or boot) within two seconds it works. They did however say it is a fault they see all the time (key fobs not controlling the car after a new car battery is fitted).

Thanks guys,

JJ

Hello James, now firstly I think you are telling us a big 'fib' 🤔

16 hours ago, JJG said:

I’m now happily driving a Nissan qashqai

No one 'happily' drives a Nissan Qashqai 🤣🤣🤣

Now on to the real problem of the keyfobs. I'm assuming that the issue is only with the remote lock/unlock of the doors and that the car starts without a problem.

I strongly recommend you to use a laptop and download the programme FORScan. It will help identify any possible issues and also assist you to reprogramme the car to the keyfobs.

You will need either a good ELM327(modified) lead, or the new vLinker FS cable.

The problem with using generic code readers is that they very often do not read Ford specific DTC's and that includes expensive professional general purpose code readers.

FORScan: https://forscan.org/download.html

ELM327(modified) lead: https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/USB_Modified_with_switch_ELM327/p4541936_17045457.aspx

OR

vLinker FS cable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-vLinker-Adapter-FORScan-MS-CAN/dp/B0952P4MLP/ref=asc_df_B0952P4MLP/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=534732308385&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13803656396923922006&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006688&hvtargid=pla-1430824679036&psc=1

• Like 1

I notice it's a 2012 Focus, didn't early ones get BCM problems with water ingress?

• Like 1

Hi unofix.

I purchased a testing device and the forscan software; ELM 327 OBD2 USB Modified Switch Forscan Elmconfig Fits Ford Focus Mondeo Mazda.

No issues shown at all. Ford’s previously put it on their diagnostics machine and that came up with no errors either. Last was a garage who only work on key fobs and issues with them. The fobs passed their diagnostics where he said it was the remote sensor in the car. Until the car was booked in with them, they said they could not say what was wrong with the sensor, if it can be ‘fixed’ or need replacing hence anything up to two days just to say for sure what the fix would be at £100 per hour. Whatever the fix and labour would be on top.

the remotes are not recognised two seconds after using the key to unlock the door. You can open the boot or hear the central locking opening as long as you press a button within two seconds. There is constantly a message no ford key detected and so have to carry both fobs with one inserted into the ‘ignition’ as the car will not start with just keeping the fob by the wheel.

We decided it was folly for ford to totally reprogram the car as the £1500 would not be added to the value on selling the car. We buy any car will give an extra £300 if the fobs work.

If it needs replacing (the car remote sensor), any idea what kind of cost we are looking at? The garage would not speculate.

Thanks again,

JJ

p.s. the steering on the Nissan is lighter than the focus, so far has good fuel economy I’m guessing because of it being a mild hybrid, love the 360 camera (but the auto park is not as simple as the focus; one button until it says to put the car into reverse whereas the Nissan needs a few steps), heated steering wheel is nice. For me, the three main things (did have a Peugeot 3008 gt premium on order from July 2021 and still no delivery date when we cancelled it in Sept 2022) were high enough to just step out (damaged spinal cord and prolapsed discs in the neck and lower back) where with the focus it was very painful getting out and sometimes fell getting out, auto park as the fused discs in the neck limit me turning my neck and heated seats to help with the back pain. Did consider a Kuga but didn’t like how it felt on a test drive (did really like the mg zs ev; only the touchscreen being so low down the dash and reviews saying the 193 miles drops to around 100 on a full charge in winter even though mg said it would be no less than 160).

• Like 1