Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK7 Wing Mirror Replacement

JRC1
聽Share

Hi All

My partner owns a MK7 1.0 Ecoboost, great car!

Anyway, somehow(!) she has clipped something and the whole mirror cap has gone missing - not just the top body coloured cap but also the lower part seems to have gone too inc the indicator element - see pic.

My question: is it easier to purchase the cap/bottom element or just buy a second hand full mirror unit off of eBay? After a quick look, the whole unit doesn't appear to be much more than the top cap so I'm thinking this may be the easier route to go down?

Further question: If the latter, how do I know the new unit will be the motored version (as these currently auto-fold when the car is locked) and is any programming of the new unit needed, or can I just fit the new unit, plug in and away we go?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated 馃檪

d159ce35-bd91-4717-a735-30045805b0ab.JPG

Yeah just buy a complete 2nd hand mirror and swap the missing parts to yours

• Like 1

Not quite clear whether it's just the cap or part of the base that's gone. You can compare from the pic here:

https://ultimatestyling.co.uk/ford-fiesta-wing-mirror-door-mirror-passenger-side-lh-ult3967-mm

Oddly enough it looks very similar to what happened to me once on a test drive - pigeon flew out of a hedge, straight into the mirror, and did what appears to be identical damage.

If you change the mirror tie a piece of string to the cable before you remove it.聽 聽You can then use the string to pull the cable of the new mirror through.聽 聽Otherwise, it's a hell of a job.

• Like 1

If the unit is ok, I'd be tempted to just replace the cap and you can get the indicator lens as a separate as well. Saves you messing about聽

If the unit is ok, I'd be tempted to just replace the cap and you can get the indicator lens as a separate as well. Saves you messing about聽

Do you know what separate parts I'd need for this though and the part numbers?

Is it 3 separate parts? Top body coloured cap, bottom black cap and indicator lense? I think price wise a full unit might be cheaper - 拢40-60 on eBay.

Unless it's an absolute ballache to fit the new unit? Then I could be tempted with what you're saying.

Thanks for all of the replies. Does anyone know if I have to look specifically for a MK7.5 unit (car is a 64 plate) or will any MK7 unit fit, even say from 09?

If the mirror lens and body are intact, which they look to be, just replace the indicator unit and the mirror cap.

It's the easiest and should be the cheapest option.

On 12/2/2022 at 10:20 AM, JRC1 said:

Do you know what separate parts I'd need for this though and the part numbers?

Don't buy from Ford.聽 They'll have your pants down, and not use lube.

I was quoted circa 拢200 just for mirror assembly, not including the indicator or cap.

If the mirror lens and body are intact, which they look to be, just replace the indicator unit and the mirror cap.

It's the easiest and should be the cheapest option.

Don't buy from Ford.聽 They'll have your pants down, and not use lube.

I was quoted circa 拢200 just for mirror assembly, not including the indicator or cap.

Thanks for replying. Yeah would no way buy from the stealer.

Isn't the lower part of the mirror missing too though, the lower black plastic bit? The bit that covers where the wires are in the above pic... or is that part of the indicator unit?

EDIT: see the link here that someone posted above:聽https://ultimatestyling.co.uk/ford-fiesta-wing-mirror-door-mirror-passenger-side-lh-ult3967-mm

The black part below the cap is missing too and that part doesn't seem to be part of the list that was posted above, anyone know what it's called or have a part number?

No thats still there. The indicator lens sits on that and the cap covers everything

It should do.聽

Just check the plastic isn't damaged on the mirror housing where the retaining clips of the cap fit to keep it flush (the last picture of the inside of the cap)

The ones along the bottom edge are quite thin but you should be able to stick something on these if they've snapped off.聽

I believe it was 52 years ago since Ford UK last fitted 'Wing Mirrors' as an option.

Does anyone know, was the 1970 Capri the last to have them fitted or were they available on other models after that ?

Capri 1970.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, unofix said:

I believe it was 52 years ago since Ford UK last fitted 'Wing Mirrors' as an option.

Does anyone know, was the 1970 Capri the last to have them fitted or were they available on other models after that ?

Capri 1970.JPG

No idea, but, we've got a Ford Zephyr at work.聽 Belongs to my gaffers dad, awkward thing to drive.聽 Mirrors actually mounted on the wings, and column shift.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 1:13 PM, Doylie said:

It should do.聽

Just check the plastic isn't damaged on the mirror housing where the retaining clips of the cap fit to keep it flush (the last picture of the inside of the cap)

The ones along the bottom edge are quite thin but you should be able to stick something on these if they've snapped off.聽

I've taken more of a close up pic - see the two elements I've circled in yellow, looks like these have snapped to me.

Does this lean towards a whole new unit being the better approach or do you still think a new cap will fit on here ok based upon your knowledge/experience? Thank you

thumbnail_IMG_2374.jpg

From the donor one I鈥檝e got in the loft it looks like the bit that鈥檚 snapped in the middle of your pic holds the indicator lens in place

The clips for the cap are on the left of your pic so the damage on the right might not be significant聽

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Doylie said:

From the donor one I鈥檝e got in the loft it looks like the bit that鈥檚 snapped in the middle of your pic holds the indicator lens in place

The clips for the cap are on the left of your pic so the damage on the right might not be significant聽

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thank you for this - really helpful. As there's not a huge amount in it cost wise, I think I'm going to buy a whole new mirror and that way I get best of both worlds. I can first try to fit just the cap and indicator lense from the new mirror to the damaged one and if that doesn't work, I can then just fit the whole unit.

Assume it's relatively easy to pop the cap and indicator lense off of a donor unit?

its pretty straight forward. just watch the videos posted earlier so you know what to do.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club