Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Newbie - Which Model To Go For?!?

Blu30v@L

Hi all, new to the forum so hello to all.

Looking for some general comments on best model type, engine, to go for...

Looking at changing the wifes mini cooper for a fiesta... mk7 i believe. The mini is the older engine type and thirsty and expensive to run.

The car is used for 50 mile round trips most days, so something economical would be good, but not to slow.

So we have test driven the 1.4 zetec pet and the 1.6 tdci zetec. Both of which where great. Not as quick as the mini but smoother and more efficient. Problem is we cant decide on one or the other. The Zetec seems to tick all the boxes, though personally I would prefer the black window seals as opposed to the chrome. The Titanium has more than we need, though we do want the bluetooth.

Ford seems to have a good deal on finance, 4.9% on 2 yr PCP deals. Also they seem to knock piles of cash of the list price. That said, found them even cheaper at drivethedeal.com - has anyone used these guys?

So has anyone any suggestions on best model for money given the above info... and also should we go new or nearly new...

Hi, I would highly recommend the 1.25 Zetec. We have one as well as the Zetec S and around town there is very little performance difference between the 1.25 and the 1.6. Even on the motorway, the 1.25 is adequete. We average around 38mpg overall. You could use the money you save on the engine to get some more optional extras B)

If its efficiency you want then I would definitely recommend a 1.6 TDCi Zetec S, currently running avg of around 51 mpg. Not sure how the new engine performs though.

As for looks, the Zetec S has the black window surrounds instead of the chrome.

Hi, I would highly recommend the 1.25 Zetec. We have one as well as the Zetec S and around town there is very little performance difference between the 1.25 and the 1.6. Even on the motorway, the 1.25 is adequete. We average around 38mpg overall. You could use the money you save on the engine to get some more optional extras B)

I read the quote below earlier, someone more knowledgeable here will be able to tell you which Fiesta it refers to, free road tax has got to be a big plus. ;)

This five-door Fiesta is priced at £12945 (the three-door costs £500 less) and both, with their low 98g/km CO2 rating, are free of road tax charges

Going from a mini Cooper to a 1.25 would be brutal IMO. I test drove the 1.25 and it would have bored me senseless. I went for the 1.6 petrol which still lacks a lot of oomph but does handle well. I get 35mpg in comparision to 27mpg on my last car which makes it seem good relatively speaking. longer round trips 1.6 diesel would probably be the best all rounder. Back to the first point anyone who says the 1.25 has the same peformance as the 1.6 has a 1.25 but wants the 1.6 really!

1.25 Studio 3d...................... 16.4 s........ 94 mph........ 59 bhp

1.25 Studio (82ps) 3d......... 12.9 s........ 104 mph....... 80 bhp

1.4 Zetec 3d....................... 11.8 s........ 109 mph ....... 94 bhp

1.6 Titanium 3d................. 9.6 s......... 120 mph ....... 118 bhp

Back to the first point anyone who says the 1.25 has the same peformance as the 1.6 has a 1.25 but wants the 1.6 really!

I do have the 1.6 Ti-VCT actually and drive a 1.25 (82ps) on a regular basis so I am giving an unbiased opinion :rolleyes: Around town, theres not much between the 1.25 and the 1.6. The performance of the 1.6 only kicks in above 3500rpm, at which point there is obviously no comparison between the two engines. You really need to drive the 1.6 hard to get any decent performance out of it, so saving your cash and going for the 1.25 might make sense ;)

Cheers guys, thanks for all the responses.

I forgot to mention, the dealer also let me take a s1600 out for a drive and like the mini i felt as though it had to be driven hard to get the performance out of it. For some weird reason the 1.4 actually seemed more refined and more responsive though I never made it onto the dual carriageway with the 1.4 as we run out of time.

The mini we have is 5 yrs old now and needs 4 new run flats, discs, pads and an exhaust. Prob best part 1k worth or service items.

I have a 1.6 diesel 5dr titanium on demo for a week, from this friday. Hopefully that will help me make the decision as to pet or diesel. We dont really need a diesel, but the lower end torque seems to compensate on for the difference in performance. But it's about 1k more.

There is a ecotec version of the 1.6 diesel. But that seems to loose alloys and a few other goodies... Did beat off the polo bluemotion though recently in an auto express test drive.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/254302/vw_polo_bluemotion_vs_ford_fiesta_econetic.html

Looking at the model range, style and studio seem to have been replaced with edge. So looks like i'll narrow it down to zetec or zetec s. Would 3 or 5 dr hold its value better when it comes to resale.

Cheers all..

I've just bought a 1.4 Zetec, I'd driven the Titanium but felt I didn't need the extra kit, paid £9250 and got the city pack thrown in, good price I thought.

We don't drive many miles, I do about 2000 annually so I'd take forever to get my money back on the diesel but if you do a few miles I'd say the 1.6 diesel is the best compromise. If you really want a petrol I'd get the 1.6 wish I had as the fuel economy is only marginally worse and I find the 1.4 gutless, nice drive tho.

They really are nice cars, good looking, sharp handling and cheap to buy and run, spec is pretty meagre if you buy below Zetec though.

I've just bought a 1.4 Zetec, I'd driven the Titanium but felt I didn't need the extra kit, paid £9250 and got the city pack thrown in, good price I thought.

We don't drive many miles, I do about 2000 annually so I'd take forever to get my money back on the diesel but if you do a few miles I'd say the 1.6 diesel is the best compromise. If you really want a petrol I'd get the 1.6 wish I had as the fuel economy is only marginally worse and I find the 1.4 gutless, nice drive tho.

They really are nice cars, good looking, sharp handling and cheap to buy and run, spec is pretty meagre if you buy below Zetec though.

£9250 - was that new.... That's a bargain. I got quoted like £13k for a 5dr 1.4 zetec.

£9250 - was that new.... That's a bargain. I got quoted like £13k for a 5dr 1.4 zetec.

He's in Jersey - so the £9250 will be about right!

I recommend you check out dealdrivers My link

I've brought a 1.6 Tdci Zetec S and a 1.4 Tdci Zetec, both sourced from dealdrivers

Excellent service and faultless.

Yeah, around £13k is what I'm paying for mine when it comes.

i would recommend the zetec 1.4 tdci or perhaps the 1.6 tdci for economy

i have the zetec 1.4 tdci and all though its not the quickest you cant beat it for economy

im getting 59mpg and only pay £20 road tax a year.

i just went away for the week filling up in chelmsford essex and drove up to cromer norfolk , i used the car everyday up there and still managed to drive all the way back home on the same tank of fuel still leaving me with just over a quarter of a tank left!

i would recommend the zetec 1.4 tdci or perhaps the 1.6 tdci for economy

i have the zetec 1.4 tdci and all though its not the quickest you cant beat it for economy

im getting 59mpg and only pay £20 road tax a year.

i just went away for the week filling up in chelmsford essex and drove up to cromer norfolk , i used the car everyday up there and still managed to drive all the way back home on the same tank of fuel still leaving me with just over a quarter of a tank left!

Hi all,

Managed to blag a 1.4TDCi zetec for a week on demo. Did ask for a 1.6 but never mind... My first impression is it's quite poky at low speeds 0-40, v smooth drive and well refined. Not anywhere near as slow as I'd imagined. Plus in the 40 miles i've do so far, it's reporting 48MPG... But the car only has 400 miles on the clock so will prob get better with age. Options fitted are parking sensors and bluetooth/voice. Would have bigger wheels fitted I think. Looking on deal drivers this model is only about £500 more than the pet equiv... This one may be in the bag...

Anyone got any q's about this model whilst I have it...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club