Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Degas Host Advice

FastandBulbous

Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice.  I've got a 2013 Focus on 70k that had the degas host recall done.

My other half reported the heater blowing cold after using the car the other evening.  Next day I checked the coolant level and the reservoir was more or less empty with no immediate sign of where the leak may have been coming from.  I topped up the coolant and left it over night.  Checking again the next day the coolant level was the same, there was no wetness around the reservoir or under the front right wheel.  Checking the degas hose it was damp on the pipe to the right just after the plastic T-junction, I cannot tell if it was wet with coolant or something else, there is no visible damage to the hose there or anywhere else.

I've not ran the car since my other half reported the issue and don't plan to other than to run it round to my local garage in a couple of days for them to have a look.   If the hose does need replacing (I'm working on the assumption it does at this point) would I be better taking it to Ford rather than getting my local garage do the work?  My thought is if they touch it and it goes boom due to the known issue it give Ford an out of having to sort the repair.

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you!

29 minutes ago, FastandBulbous said:

My thought is if they touch it and it goes boom due to the known issue it give Ford an out of having to sort the repair.

It's a 2013, so you need the wet timing belts etc. changed or it most definitely will go boom. I'd take it to Ford and get them to take a look, you never know the degas pipes may still be under some sort of warranty (I doubt it, but you can ask). At the same time you can ask for a quote on the wet belts which I expect will be between £1450 and £1700 depending on if they are in the Christmas spirit, or not !

On 12/3/2022 at 3:44 PM, unofix said:

At the same time you can ask for a quote on the wet belts which I expect will be between £1450 and £1700 depending on if they are in the Christmas spirit, or not !

***** hell!  I was expecting it to be about 500 quid!  At that price I'd have half a mind to take my chance on it going boom. 

Follow up for anyone that stumbles across this thread in the future.

Local garage confirmed it was the degas hose, right where where the wet patch was I'd spotted.  Rang the local Ford dealer who advised the degas hoses are under an extended warranty.  That warranty covers cars manufactured between early 2012 and late 2013 from memory (don't hold me to that, those dates may be slightly out).  It was replaced by Ford for free.

One thing, I initially spoke to a receptionist who was insisting on charging 100 quid for them even to look at the issue even tho I knew what the issue was.  I pushed the matter, she got fed up of me and put me through to dealership manager who was absolutely top.  So if you get any jip keep pushing and ask about the warranty.

• Like 5