Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Limp Mode

Edge of Reason

This morning on my way to work (about 2 degrees outside) my 2021 MY Kuga AWD went into limp mode. I basically had no power and could accelerate to only 20mph. I stopped a couple of times to see what was up. No warning on the dash except a spanner symbol but no wording. Each time I pulled away it would begin ok then go into limp mode.  My car was parked all day at work and on my home journey all was back to normal. I’ve just checked the FordPass app and it shows the info as per the attached photo. Has anyone else experienced this ?  My car is due a service in two weeks, so if it continues to run I’ll let it go and ask them to check it then. 

71908100-E93F-42A5-8A69-5032FE186C6D.thumb.png.65663c7c2e515fbb3a07da1924071309.png

I should add that when I had my Ford Edge, others reported a similar thing, which was linked to slippage of one axle compared to the other. Today although it was cold, there was no ice or slippery conditions. 

My daughters Kuga did exactly the same last night. Came up with the message AWD malfunction, which I know from previously investigating the problem is caused on her Kuga 2010 model by a problem with Haldex pump in the rear diff.

Switching off and waiting a minute before starting seemed to reset the problem and we drove 40 miles without any further issues.

Ok ta. As I say I’ll get it looked at at my service later this month. It should have recorded an error code. 

• 3 weeks later...

Snap !.  I had exactly the same experience a couple of weeks ago and booked in for check in a couple of weeks.  Will be interesting to compare diagnostics and solutions

• Like 1

May not be the same issue but lad at work drives a Kuga 2.0tdci 2021. Goes in limp mode in cold weather. Fuel system low pressure. New fuel filter cured it. Must have been substantial water in the filter freezing up. 

5 hours ago, iantt said:

May not be the same issue but lad at work drives a Kuga 2.0tdci 2021. Goes in limp mode in cold weather. Fuel system low pressure. New fuel filter cured it. Must have been substantial water in the filter freezing up. 

My Ford Pass App was showing a drivetrain fault but I’ve just got my car back and they said it was not a fault at all and needed a software update, which I think is a bit odd. If there wasn’t a fault, why would it go into limp mode ?

Incidentally my car recently started making a knocking noise, like a rattling ball joint when I drove over even slightly uneven surfaces. It turns out the offside lower control arm had excessive play so has been replaced under warranty. 

All good anyway. Two years today since I got my car and still very happy with it despite the odd electronic gremlin. 

• 3 weeks later...

This happened to my Kuga 20 plate a few weeks ago, Limp mode and a drivetrain fault!!! all corrected by a software update and all good now.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have today experienced exactly the problem that Ian describes with my diesel 2020 Kuga ST Line AWD and I should be interested to learn if any cause was found when he took the car for service.   In the case of mine, the problem self cured after leaving the engine idling for some considerable time in the hope of warming it up.   This has happened once before, in 2021, again after a very cold night.   I took it to Ford the following day but because they couldn't replicate the problem were unable to offer any explanation.

23 minutes ago, JaneW said:

I have today experienced exactly the problem that Ian describes with my diesel 2020 Kuga ST Line AWD and I should be interested to learn if any cause was found when he took the car for service.   In the case of mine, the problem self cured after leaving the engine idling for some considerable time in the hope of warming it up.   This has happened once before, in 2021, again after a very cold night.   I took it to Ford the following day but because they couldn't replicate the problem were unable to offer any explanation.

I think I said above. At service they carried out a software update. I was sceptical that this could possibly be the cause of the limp mode thing, but the car hasn’t done it since, so I can only assume this cleared it up.  

Even if your garage can’t replicate the fault, there should have been a fault code recorded if they had bothered to hook up diagnostic kit. That’s exactly what my garage did and discovered a software update had been released. They installed the update, job done. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have problems similar to JaneW. What appears to be limp mode problem when starting from cold on a morning under 5degC. Struggle to get above 35mph while screaming at 3000revs. Takes a couple of miles to clear. Ford service says no fault found. I will go back to them with you folks comments on software update helping.

Also takes forever to warm up and cools down again going downhill. Ford UK says it’s because 2.0 Ecoblue is so efficient that it generates little heat under low load! That doesn’t explain cooling down when going downhill. Surely system should reduce coolant circulation or airflow through radiator? 
Again, Ford service just shrug their shoulders.

Not much help to you out there, but it’s good to have a moan!

2 hours ago, Repol said:

I have problems similar to JaneW. What appears to be limp mode problem when starting from cold on a morning under 5degC. Struggle to get above 35mph while screaming at 3000revs. Takes a couple of miles to clear. Ford service says no fault found. I will go back to them with you folks comments on software update helping.

Also takes forever to warm up and cools down again going downhill. Ford UK says it’s because 2.0 Ecoblue is so efficient that it generates little heat under low load! That doesn’t explain cooling down when going downhill. Surely system should reduce coolant circulation or airflow through radiator? 
Again, Ford service just shrug their shoulders.

Not much help to you out there, but it’s good to have a moan!

Is it an auto?

If so, don't worry, that's normal warm up mode

It sounds exactly like my Mk4 focus 2.0 Ecoblue, takes forever to warm up and cools down at the drop of a hat.

Yes I think that is just a ‘feature’ of the vehicle. My car does rev higher than normal when it’s under 5 degrees C and it seems a bit sluggish.  After a few minutes it’s fine though.  Mine is the 2.0 EcoBlue Auto AWD. 

The software update has certainly stopped the limp mode thing. 

Hi

I posted with this issue on 23 Dec and it happened again 2 weeks ago, just before it was booked into dealer to look at it.  I found that the fault would not clear while driving or switching off the engine while in the car but if I left the car and locked and returned a few minutes later it would start normally.   Last week I had it in for repairs and the dealer told me they:

1. updated software

2. replaced the fuel filter which was clogged -  but not clogged enough at the major 2 year service in November to need replacing then !!!

3 replaced a diesel heater

This was all done under warranty.  They also confirmed that cold start engine management systems will rev the engine on cold starts and 3000rpm was "normal".

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club