Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo mk5 headlights

wallyX88BTY

Hi I've posted on the site before about the dismissal headlights fitted to the 2020  mk 5 mondeo my opinion they are dawn right dangerous. I've replaced the normal H7 halogen bulbs with osram night breaker H7s witch has in proved them some what. I know there is a F B site for the mondeo but I don't use F B.  I've been told if I fit  l E D compatible bulds the car may fail its MOT is there any other up grades that are available for the MK5 the lights are that bad iam contemplating getting rid of the car I detest driving it when it's dark hence its only done 4500 miles any advice would be gratefully appreciated 

• Like 2

It's highly unlikely to fail an MOT if you fit decent quality LED units. HID will definitely fail but LED will be fine. It's my Facebook group that you might be referring to, and not one of the members has had their motor fail MOT based on the LEDs that they retrofit. We pretty much all use the same guy and his units are plug and play, no errors and improve the field of view dramatically. 

An MOT testwr is not allowed to remove the cap at the back of the light to see what lamp is in there, therefore they can't be sure. And if they can't be sure then as per the handbook they must pass the vehicle giving it the benefit of the doubt. 

I will say that they can and will fail you if you install cheap ones that have a poor beam pattern, or if they dazzle oncoming vehicles. The ones we recommend do not do either of those things. You may need to take it to a garage once you fit them and just get the alignment checked to be safe though. 

His main business page is Facebook, but I appreciate you don't use that platform. He also has an eBay page that you can contact him on. Drop him a message, his name is Andy, tell him Jon the admin from Mk5 Mondeo group sent you his way and he'll look after you. He does all the LEDs you might want, side, dipped, main, fog, puddle, side mirror repeaters and number plate lamps.

**I receive no financial benefit for putting you his way, I just know how dangerous and woeful the lights are as standard**

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/hna-supplies

• Like 3

Hi Jon thanks so much for the reply I'll drop Andy a message over the weekend how they got away with letting the MK5 mondeo on the road with normal H7 bulbs in the headlights.

3 hours ago, wallyX88BTY said:

Hi Jon thanks so much for the reply I'll drop Andy a message over the weekend how they got away with letting the MK5 mondeo on the road with normal H7 bulbs in the headlights.

You are more than welcome, feel free to PM me anytime I'm always happy to try and help. 

You're right about the lights, it should be a safety recall tbh. Just for reference the dipped beam are H7 as you say, the main beam is an H15 lamp. If you have the halogen daytime running lights then they share the H15 as its dual filament (12/55W), if you change the H7s then the DRL will look yellow in comparison so it may be worth upgrading the H15 too (unless you already have the LED strips). If you have the halogen DRLs then you will also have halogen side lights, which will also look very yellow as they are on with the H7s, if memory serves then the sidelights are W5W and are pennies to swap to LED. Andy is a top bloke, he will advise you and then let you make your own mind up on what you want. 

Jon. 

Hi Jon I've been in touch with Andy and he's going to sort me out with what I need. I have the mk5 with the led drl on the lower bumper just above the fog lights I believe its one of the last models to be sold.

Many thanks for the help and advice

Best regards 

WALLYX88BTY 

That's great, I'm sure you won't be disappointed at all. 

Hi Jon

I've been intouch with Andy and because of the contac rules on the site he sells on we are struggling to communicate and he can't show me the items he wants and he's asked me to ask you if you could give me his email address so we can sort out bulbs I need as he doesn't list mk5 items on the Website he sells on.

Best regards 

WallyX88BTY 

On 12/12/2022 at 1:40 PM, wallyX88BTY said:

Hi Jon

I've been intouch with Andy and because of the contac rules on the site he sells on we are struggling to communicate and he can't show me the items he wants and he's asked me to ask you if you could give me his email address so we can sort out bulbs I need as he doesn't list mk5 items on the Website he sells on.

Best regards 

WallyX88BTY 

I've sent his email to you in a PM 👍

Forgive me if I’m being dim (pun intended), can you simply fit LED Bulbs in the headlight after taking out the standard halogen ones?

I thought you needed to swap out the headlight unit too?  Can’t remember where I read that as that put me off too.  

if it is just as simple as swapping bulbs, I’ll contact the bold Andy too. 

32 minutes ago, The Latman said:

Forgive me if I’m being dim (pun intended), can you simply fit LED bulbs in the headlight after taking out the standard halogen ones?

I thought you needed to swap out the headlight unit too?  Can’t remember where I read that as that put me off too.  

You can indeed, completely plug and play. All the LEDs have inbuilt CANbus resistors so there will be no error messages on the dash. 

Andy can be reached at the following email address

hnasupplies @ live. co. uk

Due to the FOC restrictions I am unable to post the email address in the correct format, just remove the spaces I have put in so that it all runs into one word. 

The pictures arent the best quality but I took them from my Facebook group.

Screenshot_20221214_191759_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20221214_191724_Facebook.jpg

• Like 3

Cheers Jon……… though looking at the pic, do you need to drop the bumper/grille to swap the bulbs?

to be fair, I know people have slated this Mondeo and it’s headlights, I regularly drive in dark unlit country roads and unless the headlight is dirty, I’ve never noticed an issue with visibility, with or without high beams.

1 hour ago, The Latman said:

Cheers Jon……… though looking at the pic, do you need to drop the bumper/grille to swap the bulbs?

to be fair, I know people have slated this Mondeo and it’s headlights, I regularly drive in dark unlit country roads and unless the headlight is dirty, I’ve never noticed an issue with visibility, with or without high beams.

The joys of a Mk5 unfortunately, you don't 'have' to drop the bumper but it's easier. There is little to no room behind the units, some people have managed to do it but not many. The other option is to loosen the top of the bumper and pull it forward, then wedge a 5L screenwash bottle behind it to hold it out the way. There is a good YouTube video I can link you to for reference, once you've done it once you can do the whole thing start to finish in about 45mins tops. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jon do have a link for the video on YouTube on the replacement of the bulbs. Just waiting for Andy to reply for the order I've placed for the LEDS 

.much appreciate all the help

WallyX88BTY 

2 hours ago, wallyX88BTY said:

Hi Jon do have a link for the video on YouTube on the replacement of the bulbs. Just waiting for Andy to reply for the order I've placed for the LEDS 

.much appreciate all the help

WallyX88BTY 

Mk5 bumper removal, 2 different videos for you. Both the same guy, I have to turn the sound off as he irritates me lol. He does lots and lots of helpful Mk5 videos. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l9y4lrxPHS8

• Like 1

Cheers for the link I understand the irritation 🤥

• Haha 1

Thanks Jon.   Sometimes he makes me laugh, but overall he is irritating 😊

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2022 at 9:46 PM, Jonro2009 said:

Mk5 bumper removal, 2 different videos for you. Both the same guy, I have to turn the sound off as he irritates me lol. He does lots and lots of helpful Mk5 videos. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l9y4lrxPHS8

Thanks for recommending Andy for the bulbs,   Paid for them today (with 10%) discount, so on the way soon.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2022 at 6:49 PM, The Latman said:

Forgive me if I’m being dim (pun intended), can you simply fit LED bulbs in the headlight after taking out the standard halogen ones?

THis is my current thread for LED Bulbs though I own a Focus Mk2, but story around bulbs should be similar...

• Like 1

On 12/31/2022 at 9:25 AM, StephenFord said:

THis is my current thread for LED bulbs though I own a Focus Mk2, but story around bulbs should be similar...

Ahh right, so, my bulbs from Andy arrived today.........Are they an MOT fail, if so, why?

1 minute ago, The Latman said:

Ahh right, so, my bulbs from Andy arrived today.........Are they an MOT fail, if so, why?

Do they have, "CE" imprinted anywhere on them? If not, there's your answer...

5 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Do they have, "CE" imprinted anywhere on them? If not, there's your answer...

How would an MOT inspector know that though, dont they just turn the lights on and make sure they (a) work and (b) are properly aligned?

Just now, The Latman said:

How would an MOT inspector know that though, dont they just turnt h lighst on and make sure they (a) work and (b) are properly aligned?

and therein lies the 'commons sense' bit. Technically, they are illegal, but, who is to know apart from you! Wear them in good health...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

and therein lies the 'commons sense' bit. Technically, they are illegal, but, who is to know apart from you! Wear them in good health...

I checked mine, they do indeed have CE on both the box and label around the power cable

Photo 04-01-2023, 16 51 31.jpg

Photo 04-01-2023, 16 51 08.jpg

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

I have had many Focus(es) over the years, only ever had to change one headlight bulb though.  How difficut are they to do now?  I know the mondeo has to drop her nose, is it that awkward on a Focus too?

4 minutes ago, The Latman said:

I have had many Focus(es) over the years, only ever had to change one headlight bulb though.  How difficut are they to do now?  I know the mondeo has to drop her nose, is it that awkward on a Focus too?

My car is now almost 18 years old (2005 Mk2), simple technology, headlamp unit held in by a single screw, and 2 push brackets. Simple job. Modern cars you'd likely have to remove the bumper, and lots of other stupid bits to carry out a 3 minute job...

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club