Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Much Is Reasonable For A Starter Motor To Be Fitted?

giro

Just ordered a replacement starter motor as mine has bitten the dust and was wondering what sort of price I should be paying to have it fit?

I have a fiesta 1.25 lx (P REG)

Any help is much appreciated as i'm a noobie when it comes to this,

Just ordered a replacement starter motor as mine has bitten the dust and was wondering what sort of price I should be paying to have it fit?

I have a fiesta 1.25 lx (P REG)

Any help is much appreciated as i'm a noobie when it comes to this,

the book time for the job is 0.5 hours so depending on your garage expect to pay an hours labour(depending on their minimum charge) so maybe £30-£40?

the book time for the job is 0.5 hours so depending on your garage expect to pay an hours labour(depending on their minimum charge) so maybe £30-£40?

I've just had a quote for £50 so I guess thats not too bad, he did say thats his hourly charge as well.

How hard would the job be to do myself?

I've just had a quote for £50 so I guess thats not too bad, he did say thats his hourly charge as well.

i wasnt far off then.

i cant say for sure what its like to do on your car but if you have a set of spanners and are fairly confident with them there is no reason why you can have a go yourself.

i dont know if your starter is under the bonnet or under the car. your best bet would be to have a quick look and if its easy to get at etc then it should be fairly straight forward even for someone with little or no car fixing experience.

usually starter motors are only held on with 2 or 3 bolts, undo the battery and ignition wires from it and the securing bolts and it will pull right out. just remember to disconnect the battery before removing the starter motor, the last thing you want to do is weld your spanner to the starter motor if you short it out.

See if you can borrow/browse the correct Haynes manual from your local library. That'll explain exactly what you need to do and what tools you'll need. If you can't borrow the tools (you'll need a torque wrench plus a few sockets, etc), it's not going to be cost effective to buy them just for this one job - but will work out long term if you need to do more work.

See if you can borrow/browse the correct Haynes manual from your local library. That'll explain exactly what you need to do and what tools you'll need. If you can't borrow the tools (you'll need a torque wrench plus a few sockets, etc), it's not going to be cost effective to buy them just for this one job - but will work out long term if you need to do more work.

i agree that a browse through the haynes manual might help.

Antony i dont know if you meant a ratchet rather than a torque wrench? not any need for a torque wrench on this job.

a basic socket and spanner set will be more than enough.

i agree that a browse through the haynes manual might help.

Antony i dont know if you meant a ratchet rather than a torque wrench? not any need for a torque wrench on this job.

a basic socket and spanner set will be more than enough.

Are you sure? I'd have thought there'd be a torque specified for the attachment bolts? (It's probably not that critical though).

Are you sure? I'd have thought there'd be a torque specified for the attachment bolts? (It's probably not that critical though).

there probably is a specified torque for the bolts but i have never torqued the bolts that hold a starter in place and never had any problems. like you say they are not that critical, if they are tight and not going to fall out then thats good enough

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club