Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Android 10 contacts issues

StephenFord
聽Share

For the 5th time, my Android 10 phone has lost information I had entered from my contacts. It never loses the primary number/contact name, but any additional numbers I enter in the contact, all the 'labels' disappear though the numbers remain. If I enter any info under, 'about' all that info all remains intact too. On using laptop to look at contacts, the phone number labels have disappeared from my Google account too.

Why does this happen.

Can it be restored when apparently my Google account has also lost the info

How do I stop this from happening!

At this rate I may as well dig out my old filofax!

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

How do I stop this from happening!

get an iPhone 馃

On the other hand I'd rather use tin cans and string than have one of those 馃ぃ

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Bumping this. I have 14 numbers under my mums contact (medical staff, social workers etc) and every one now has no label, just an anonymous number. This is a very annoying fault. I really need to know how to fix it...

New info...

Have discovered that when you examine 'contacts' on laptop, under settings there is an 'undo' option. I rolled back my contacts by 30 days and all my labels have now reappeared. I have now printed all my contacts (over 300) on a PDF so at least I now have an emergency physical backup.

I still have no idea why they disappeared in the first place, and as previously stated, this is not the 1st time it's happened, so any advice for future use would be welcome.聽

(If you ever wanted to install Windows 3.1 on your PC, I'm your man, but all this modern Google stuff just bewilders me...)

• Like 1

I don't have any idea how to fix your problem, but it sounds more like a problem with your Google account rather than the actual phone. This is the problem when everything is interlinked you carry out an operation on one device and before you know it you've now gone and done the exact same thing on a different device. Don't ask me how I know !! 馃槯

• Like 1

The only thing I can think is that maybe another app has contacts permission and is trying to sync and removing your extra info. Maybe check through permissions of apps and see what has contacts access?

2 hours ago, alexp999 said:

The only thing I can think is that maybe another app has contacts permission and is trying to sync and removing your extra info. Maybe check through permissions of apps and see what has contacts access?

Sounds reasonable, is there a way of interrogating what apps have this permission, or do I have to go through them all individually?聽

11 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

See if you have the second option here. Settings, Privacy, Permission manager.聽
https://support.google.com/android/answer/9431959?hl=en

Brilliant! Thank you. Just looked and 9 apps have 'contacts' permission. To be honest, they all look legitimate (Gmail, calendar etc) but I have removed, 'photos' as I've no idea why it would need contacts permission. Nice diagnostic feature which I'm sure will be useful in the future...

You need to roll back the聽AVRCP bluetooth version to 1.3 or 1.4. This controls how the phone interacts with bluetooth devices. Had a similar issue with a family members Nissan where track listings were lost and contact listings were unaccessable. Changing the AVRCP version to 1.3 seemed to correct this

13 hours ago, 59bhp said:

You need to roll back the聽AVRCP Bluetooth version to 1.3 or 1.4. This controls how the phone interacts with Bluetooth devices. Had a similar issue with a family members Nissan where track listings were lost and contact listings were unaccessable. Changing the AVRCP version to 1.3 seemed to correct this

My bluetooth version is specd at 5.0, have no idea why rolling back to the dark ages would help, but thanks anyway...and besides, I was under the impression you cannot 'roll back' the bluetooth version on an Android phone as it is embedded in the radio hardware, not the software/firmware.

I have now set up a fortnightly 'alarm' to remind me to check contacts just to make sure all is well, if not, I can always 'roll back' to an earlier working date again. Not a fix, but a simple enough workaround I can live with...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It happened with me as well. We have to give permission to some of our apps to view contacts.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, DaveT70 said:

Seriously, get an iphone

The only 'apple' I'll ever buy is a Granny Smith!聽:laughing:

10 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

The only 'apple' I'll ever buy is a Granny Smith!聽:laughing:

That's why you're loosing contacts then聽馃榿

5 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

That's why you're loosing contacts then聽馃榿

My partner has an iPhone, they have their own very special issues! LOL

Oh, and I'm not 'losing' contacts, I am losing the labels for them so that I have the numbers, but have no way of knowing who they are!

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Oh, and I'm not 'losing' contacts, I am losing the labels for them so that I have the numbers, but have no way of knowing who they are!

Double seriously, get an iPhone馃お

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

Double seriously, get an iphone馃お

I have a 100 reasons to hate Apple, only one to keep using Android - the reason being, it's not an Apple!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was like that for years, kept to glitchy Androids because I hated Apple (Nexus Etc) that had to be restarted three times a day, poor battery life and fell apart.

I'd never go back now, you get what you pay for.

Apple sucker their customers into paying out for stuff, the very 1st iSh... errr iPhone was launched without any bluetooth ability, then miraculously they came out with an update to the phone, you had to pay for it and it would give you bluetooth, what people didn't realise back then was bluetooth is hardware based, so they already had Bluetooth on their phones, all the update did was install the software to be able to use it, all because they couldn't crack the problem fast enough and delays to the release were getting people hacked off, so they launched it before the software was ready to use it, I'd never touch one personally.

As to Android etc, you need to check the permissions as said above, the reason Google links the stuff together is so you get a more personalised experience, like the callers picture coming up when it rings etc (I assume it can still do that), and the calendar allows it to remind you of upcoming events, even navigation when it knows your going to a pre set meeting or destination, so as soon as you get in the car it will ask do you want to go there etc, it's not for everyone, but I like it.

But you also need to check your settings within the account, and with the car, how it's displayed is set in these locations, you can choose first name or nick name etc, and yes it's true using other devices links it together, so change content on 1 device, it reflects in the other devices, but there is a further setting should you want, in the Google account on the phone, you can turn Syncing off, so that your phone will not be changed by any other device content edits.

But it's a double edged sword, as your phone is most likely your first addition source for new details, as such the account will not add the new detail to the other devices, the other issue is should you ever turn Syncing back on in the Google account, the changes could really throw you, because you will see it all at once, as opposed to as it happens, which could be even more confusing, but if you want belt and braces to cover you, then go into your contacts and hot the 3 ... (dot's) at the top then Settings, you will see Import\Export Contacts, so you can save that to the PC as well, the benefit of this method is it will save having to retype it all back in, and should save All, the detail entered for the contact, like address and notes etc, personally I'd leave it connected to Google with the peace of mind the details are safe, hope it helps.

16 minutes ago, Alans Car said:

As to Android etc, you need to check the permissions as said above...

I have already checked the 'permissions', there is nothing untoward that would be changing anything in contacts. The primary concern is that the primary contact remains untouched, it is just the 'labels' of additional phone numbers in that contact that are wiped!聽

I have one device, my phone, and my laptop which 'google' is logged in to, but nothing on my laptop has any permission at all to mess about with anything!

Still, lovely to read yet another one of your brief posts, made myself a cuppa especially聽:laugh:

• Haha 1

Glad it proved useful lol, I know you said you did the preferences, but had you checked the actual account settings?

Just trying to cover the obvious, as you never know when you may be facing an i D 10T error lol. 馃槤馃ぃ

• Haha 1

On an older Sony with android, I recently found that when saving a contact there is an option for 'phone/SIM or account and 'phone.聽 It might be worth looking to see if there are any save options on the 'phone.