Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New mot rules ABS light on - Major or dangerous fail ?

RSpilla

Evening, I am looking to MOT my ford sierra to see what it will fail on, it does have the abs light on and if i cant get it off by the time the mot comes it will have to go in with it lit, i dont mind it failing, its the rest of the car im interested in to be specific, however what i need to know is what type of fail will it get for an abs light lit, the brakes are great and stop the car no problem with no pulling, would it be a major fail or a dangerous fail, as i do know if its a dangerous fail i can not drive the car back home after the mot, i have searched the web but its all conflicting information as usual. any help is appreciated. Happy new year all.

Nobody in a garage or MOT station can stop you driving your car away after a failed MOT.... but I believe the Police can as soon as you are on the King's Highway.  Depending on what is wrong, your fine can be large.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, iantt said:

Screenshot_20221231-175803.png

Hi, ive just been reading those mot rules on gov website, it seems its a major fail for absd light, as far as im aware that can be taken legally from the mot station straight home without fear of 3 points. thankyou.

29 minutes ago, orangecurry said:

Nobody in a garage or MOT station can stop you driving your car away after a failed MOT.... but I believe the Police can as soon as you are on the King's Highway.  Depending on what is wrong, your fine can be large.  

It would be leaving a test station after a test so as far as im aware its legal for me to drive straight home with it if it has failed on majors, but no dangerous defects, i would have the fail sheet as proof for the officer. I could be wrong but thats how im interpreting it.

• Like 1

Sure - apologies if I was confusing - I was answering from a practical point of view, in case the tester tells you that you can't leave.  Then does your journey home have (say) any APNR cameras?  Although you may be in the 'right', it's always a good idea not to give the GOV any excuse to complicate your life. 🙂

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club