Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dent Removal

Deanlp

Hi i just wondering if anyone knows how much dent removal is, i know it varies and i think this will be a bit a a b*****d to fix, i got a stone chip/small dent in the rear quarter panel just above the driver door on a 3 door focus mk2. wouldnt mind but i only had the car just over a month and its immaculate otherwise. i dont know much about fixing body work but im guessin its a tricky one to beat out....

any ideas are appreaciated

Dean

Hi i just wondering if anyone knows how much dent removal is, i know it varies and i think this will be a bit a a b*****d to fix, i got a stone chip/small dent in the rear quarter panel just above the driver door on a 3 door focus mk2. wouldnt mind but i only had the car just over a month and its immaculate otherwise. i dont know much about fixing body work but im guessin its a tricky one to beat out....

any ideas are appreaciated

Dean

Posting a picture lets people know exactly what your problem is. Here for example are pictures of a problem on my near side rear panel. More or less in line with the petrol filler cap, but about 5" in back from the NS rear passenger door opening.

chips007.jpg

chips005.jpg

It was caused by a Range Rover rear passenger door opening onto my car. It did not crack the paint work, so I tried the freezing method [as seen on YouTube] a complete waste of time.

First body shop quoted £345, saying it needed to be paint blended into the rear passenger door panel. And would need the rub strip on that door replaced. Second body shop said the quote was not out and out. But as I had a trade contact so to speak, I got a quote for £220 pound notes so to speak. The latter body shop estimator said he doubted the dent guy would be able to fix it. And the chip guy would not be able to do a job on it that was not noticeable.

I went away and thought about it.

I had the lining out in the boot section, as it was just backing onto the area where the rear seat backs are. It was impossible to get at to push it out [double skin] It could not be got at from the wheel arch [to high up, just above the waist line, again double skin]

But I thought I would have the Stone Chip/small repair guy out. Nice guy, he said the Dent Guy could get it out as the paint was not broken. He would get to it via the petrol filler aperture. But if not he could fill it and paint blend it in no problem.

The Dent Guy came and it was impossible to get to. And he said the Chip Guy [ they both recommend each others services] fix would be noticeable. He said the rule of thumb is if it needs filling and painting. And if the damage is on or above the "eye line" ....think of a horizontal area on the Focus from say the filler cap , through to the door handles and above. Then a traditional Body Shop repair is the only one that make it a truly invisible repair. Below that line and the lower on the car body the less it will stand out unless your looking for it.

Dent guy would have been £50 ish though the 0800 number I rang stated £75. Chip guy reckoned £70. In the end I opted for the £220 traditional body shop job..........Absolutely Perfect.

Edit:

a couple of photos, sorry but it's raining this morning.

dent002.jpg

dent001.jpg

Just to give you an idea about how far the paint was blended into the passenger door. Well during the heavy snow we had early in the year. Whilst I was clearing snow of the drive, I caught the passenger door with the plastic snow shifter. It scratched it about 3" from the bottom of the door and 4" in front the edge of the drivers door, it was about 3" in length. I tried T-Cutting it out twice, but it was so deep it went right down to the paint. Anyway after the body shop repair it has disappeared.

I have a practically identical dent to yours catch, in my driver's door.

I never bothered doing anything about it, as you can only really see it when you look down along the length of the car. Looking directly on its barely visible.

The freezing method wont work for sharper dents (such as yours) but has a better chance of working for the larger gradual dents with no creases

its like that but with a deep scratch so it defo needs repair, ill get a pic on after work, i was more refering to its location on the top part of the rear quarter above the door i cant imagine u can gain access from behind but ill sort some pics out, thanks

got some pics now.. what do you think? ill have to go get some quotes on the weekend, but just to get an idea is appreciated

post-15404-128033618857_thumb.jpg

post-15404-128033626514_thumb.jpg

post-15404-128033629481_thumb.jpg

got some pics now.. what do you think? ill have to go get some quotes on the weekend, but just to get an idea is appreciated

in all honesty youre better touching it up these chip guys use water based paint that is poor quality the car will look good for a few months till the paint starts flaking off been there done that if its gone to the meatl some kurust on it and a touch up kit and leave it well aloneunless you want to pay a body shop.

i had a chips away guy out when mine was first done paint job was rubbish then i had 2 of the leading guys out sent by my dealer as they were paying to fix it they did and it looked really good for 3 months till the top coat actually started flaking off finally he spent the cash and sent to a proper body shop and finally it was done

I reckon a dent guy could push that dent out from under the roof lining, so it went back to it's original shape. And with it being thin scratch, as against an area of filler I reckon you could get a Ford Brand Touch Up Pen Kit £9.20 that comes with the correct paint,lacquer and rust eraser Let it harden for a week then gently T Cut it down until it blends.

If you want to go to town you could use THIS instead of T Cutting it. It like the touch up kit can be used again and again. [there are UK stockists.]but it's not cheap.

Another thread on touch up HERE.

Hey guys. Due to heavy bugs, my fiesta has gathered a few chips in the paint. any ideas what the best way to get rid of them is? cheers

just been to get a few quotes, one was 125 and another for 70, gonna try the 70 quid guy. got it booked in for next thursday. and weve agreed that if i can tell its been patched up then im not paying... cant moan at that and i like that he is confident in his work. seems like i keep findin more scratches the more i look tho ive found at least 3 more bits that could do with a touch up. ill see if he will sort it while hes got the paint out.

the guy at the shop said its a bit to sharp to pull out and access makes pushing it out a job (hours chargeable) and said filling and blending will be the best bet

adz it depends on how bad the chips are, touch up paint is a good start, but if its down to metal you need to prime it with something. most dealers sell touch up paint for specific model. if you have alot of chips diy might be a bit rough blobs everywhere etc. if i were u id go and get a few estimates and shop around i save like 55 quid just going to another body shop round the corner from the 1st i went to. just whatever you do dont like the 'tards at Halfords mix your paint.

ill stick a pic on when its fixed.

thanks guys

dean

just been to get a few quotes, one was 125 and another for 70, gonna try the 70 quid guy. got it booked in for next thursday. and weve agreed that if i can tell its been patched up then im not paying... cant moan at that

Like you say, you cannot complain at that

the guy at the shop said its a bit to sharp to pull out and access makes pushing it out a job (hours chargeable) and said filling and blending will be the best bet

Yes pulling it out is what they did to mine. I was told they spot weld a rod on to it, to enable them to pull it out.Cut of and feather the weld down and finish it off. My car was in three days, but I don't think they worked on it until day two. Probably after the guy who was paying for the repair went in and paid. Plus I think that Tonic Blue is a bit of a !Removed! to match, hence they had to blow it into the passenger door. Yours being black, I dare say will be easy to blend in.

Don't forget photo's after it's done, you cannot beat seeing a job well done. well everybody likes to see their motor looking mint.

• 3 weeks later...

fixed now. 70 quid and he even touched up a few marks on the roof aswell. not postin a full pic, car needs cleaning badly (missus already done it but it looks worse all streaky) glad its sorted now. thanks for the help tho guys got a few prices and went for the cheapest and its turned out alright. got a 12 month guarantee on it but i think the missus has thrown the receipt out aswell.....

post-15404-128206382347_thumb.jpg

post-15404-128206384515_thumb.jpg

well I certainly cannot see where it's been fixed, spot on. :D

So how did he go about it, just fill it and paint it? Or did he manipulate the metal from behind the roof lining first?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club