Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear exhaust back box

Tonyn

I have to replace the exhaust back box on my 2006 1.4 Fusion.

On the exhaust system in place there is no joint just after the rear back box to be able to remove and replace the back box

I am assuming that i need to cut the center pipe just before the  old back box in order to slide the new back box on and clamp the joint

Does anybody know the size of clamp i would need?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Tonyn said:

Does anybody know the size of clamp i would need?

The size of the clamp is determined by the diameter of the new replacement back box pipe, as it is this that the clamp will fit round.

Yep, sorry, your right, wasnt thinking.

Am i right in saying that i will need to cut the existing center pipe, and has anyone undertaken this job before, what are the pitfalls and anything to look out for?

Thanks

Did it on my dad's old MK1 Focus, just make sure you cut it in the right place, you don't want to make the middle section too short or too long. When you have the replacement back box you will be able to work it out. I cut it on the car with a Dremel... yep took a while and 2 or 3 cutting discs but that's all I had at the time. If you plan to take the exhaust off the car then you might want to prepare yourself and get new nuts/bolts and gaskets etc for where it disconnects from (probably after the CAT). Oh and get some exhaust assembly paste for the sleeve of the new box (where you slide it over the middle section), it will help with sliding it on and also seal the join.

• Like 1

I did a similar job 40 years ago, and I swore (literally 😁) that I would never do it again. The money I saved was not worth the discomfort, time, risk of bits in your eyes etc.

I'd seriously think about letting someone who has got all the kit do it using their ramps. 

Having said that, it would be a learning curve for you , and you'd have the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, alanfp said:

Having said that, it would be a learning curve for you .......

....and, when the next part of the 17 year old exhaust fails shortly after you have fitted the new back box you won't have to cut it again 👍

I did it on my 2007 fiesta 1.6tdci.  I did manage to cut it in just the right place.  It took a long time to saw through it as the lack of space meant the length of each hacksaw stroke was minimal. It was only about 5 or 6 years old. I was surprised how quickly it decayed. Yours has lasted considerably longer.   Perhaps they suffer from condensation rot more on diesels as they don’t get so hot so quickly. Don’t cut it before you have the new part as you need to measure where to cut carefully, don’t forget to allow for the bit of pipe that slides into the flared part of new silencer pipe. I’m sure some people will have cut too much off not taking that into account!

• Like 1

If you replace the complete original system which is in one piece, you will need to remove that centre brace under the floor pan to fit a one piece replacement.  There will be a chance that at least one of the securing bolts for the brace will sheer off....

• Like 1

Yep them bolts as paul says will sheer off,  on mine only 2 did after i realised - they need wire brushing then soaking with plusgas/ wd40 etc and slowly ease off working back n forth.

If they all break then new studs needs to be spotted on with appropriate weld tool. do not drill through floor and fit bolts.

Strange, i thought all fusions had a three part exhaust system ? mine is a 2005 1.4tdci and is three parts. My middle section went, so just replaced that, the old clamp was rotten but i replaced it with a scaffold size clamp from a satelitte dish kit.

i had to remove middle with back box, one of front to middle bolts snapped, then i had to torch it cherry red and bray it half to death to remove good back box, nightmare job.

Worst i ever did was a suzuki vitara years ago, mega money just for parts, had to jack up FRONT about a metre to get pipe bend over back axle, never again.

It's a horrible job to do, especially if not under cover, and as guys say above i would let a garage do it with a lift, they will have clamps, rubber hangers, sealer paste, cutting tools, i have done loads over the years, worst case is the middle pipe maybe rotten too and as its cut back and re joined it can collapse under new clamp compression.

Finally, they aint that expensive and i would just fit new centre and back box, the two fron bolts are horrific to access too.

Good luck,

21 hours ago, fullwavebridge said:

Yep them bolts as paul says will sheer off,  on mine only 2 did after i realised - they need wire brushing then soaking with plusgas/ wd40 etc and slowly ease off working back n forth.

If they all break then new studs needs to be spotted on with appropriate weld tool. do not drill through floor and fit bolts.

Strange, i thought all fusions had a three part exhaust system ? mine is a 2005 1.4tdci and is three parts. My middle section went, so just replaced that, the old clamp was rotten but i replaced it with a scaffold size clamp from a satelitte dish kit.

i had to remove middle with back box, one of front to middle bolts snapped, then i had to torch it cherry red and bray it half to death to remove good back box, nightmare job.

Worst i ever did was a suzuki vitara years ago, mega money just for parts, had to jack up FRONT about a metre to get pipe bend over back axle, never again.

It's a horrible job to do, especially if not under cover, and as guys say above i would let a garage do it with a lift, they will have clamps, rubber hangers, sealer paste, cutting tools, i have done loads over the years, worst case is the middle pipe maybe rotten too and as its cut back and re joined it can collapse under new clamp compression.

Finally, they aint that expensive and i would just fit new centre and back box, the two fron bolts are horrific to access too.

Good luck,

Thanks very much for all the replies and info, much appreciated

It looks as mine still has the original one piece system on or has been replaced at some stage with a one piece system

Only want to change the back box as i have already been warned about the difficulty i might encounter with the 2 bolts on the flange at the front end

Hi Tony

I had to access them front bolts from above the engine, with a VERY long extension bar and torque drive.

I foolishly didn't lube these and one snapped but there was enough thread remaining to get another nut on when refitting. The bolts are set in the front pipe, i believe they are splined and pressed in, to remove a broken one would mean removing front section, holding in vice on the flange, heating and bray the old one out.?

your best option as mentioned is to cut old one off at rear etc and join new back box but ensure it's inlet is flarred to accept the middle section.... if not then an oversized coupler would work with two clamps providing both pipes are straight profile.

Just looked on eBay and they are flarred

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club