Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto Info Requested Please

Freebird

I bought my 2020 Ecosport ST Line a month ago, fantastic car but im having slight problems with pain in my left leg (clutch use) as Im waiting for a knee operation.
I came from a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV which being electric was automatic so I wasnt aware of this potential problem.
Im think of looking for the same model but automatic. I read a few negative reports on the auto can anyone advise? Also how much more would i expect to pay and i have read some descriptions of it being semi automatic, i take it thats wrong? Any replies would be appreciated.
Thanks

I think the earlier mk1 shape came in a fully and a semi automatic box, but i think the mk2 st line has a fully automatic box but with paddle shifts aswell on the steering wheel.

Generally speaking all manufacturers auto boxes can be problematic. In general as long as the car isnt thrashed 24/7 and the transmission is serviced as per recommendations you should be fine.

In regards to price theres not much in it to be honest, just be weary the automatics always sit around longer on forecourts, so make sure its sold with a good battery and check theres no mould on the seatbelts etc.

• Like 1

In my many years experience of buying second hand auto cars,  they have always been more expensive. Maybe 10-15% more. Actually, I've just checked Parkers and a 3 yr old Ecosport st-line says it's about 11% more for an auto.

I think the definition of a semi-auto has changed over the decades - it used to mean a clutchless transmission where you had to change gears manually, but any car described as semi-auto these days will change the gears for you if you just stick it into "D".  So it's a red-herring - if the car has two pedals and changes gears for you automatically, it's fully automatic, despite possibly being described as a s-a (sometimes on the log book). 

Key difference is whether it's a dual-clutch transmission or has a  torque convertor. My Ford has the dual-clutch transmission, which Ford call Powershift (similar to the VW DSG) and I wouldn't recommend that gearbox.

• Like 1

I haven’t had a modern auto so not speaking from 1st experience.  My understanding is that a torque converter automatic will always be worse on mpg and hence possibly higher tax band. But it is proven technology that has been used for over 50 years and is reliable.  The modern dual clutch autos give better mpg but a lot of people have had a lot of trouble with them. It’s a very clever design but there’s a lot to go wrong there with the clutches and the electronics.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

hi, we bought new in 2017 an auto zetec Ecosport. Never liked the poor gearchanges took back to dealer was told normal. This was a mk1 with the powershift gearbox, at about 9000 miles it would sometimes refuse to reverse when selected! We got rid asap. We now have a 2019 titanium Ecosport with a proper auto gearbox which is great. There is no comparision between the 2. Worldwide Ford have had many claims for the earlier gearbox we can see why. Only downside to the car is the fuel consumption, but the driving experience is really good, and makes up for it. Hope this is of some help.

• Like 2

Don't touch an auto Ecosport or any auto Ford for that matter.

Have a look elsewhere