Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Mk2 1.6 Petrol timing belt / water pump kit?

AntonovAN12

I have a 55 plate Mk2 1.6 Petrol. The timing belt was last changed in 2016. The car has done 25,000 miles since then. If it gets through its MOT next month, I will be having the belt replaced.

The tensioners and water pumps are apparently different for cars built before Dec 2005. The internet parts sites show two different options when my registration is typed in. From the information I got printed out by a Ford dealership, mine was built in November 2005.

The place I usually buy parts from can supply an INA Branded kit with the timing belt, tensioners and pump for £105 + VAT. What is the quality of this brand like?

Ina are good, some are fitted to manufacturers engines from new.

I don't know INA, but the original timing belt in my mk2.5 was Dayco, and I was very happy with using Dayco parts for my timing belt + water pump replacement. I managed to get the parts at a steal from trodo.com (lavian based) in late 2021 for ~£60 inc. VAT and shipping. Looks like their price might have risen to around ~£80 now. Their price for the Dayco kit that includes the water pump in one package is slightly higher at about ~£90 (don't ask me why combined is more expensive 🤷‍♂️).

I do recall seeing that there were two different designs of water pump and tensioner for mk2's when I was looking for mine. The Dayco products for my mk2.5 were the KTB461 (timing belt kit) and DP245 (water pump), or KTBWP4610 (combined). These are also one of the two variants for the mk2, and the other is KTB286 (timing belt kit) and DP270 (water pump), or KTBWP2860 (combined).

To add to your confusion, the remarks on the Dayco products are ">04/05" for the KTB286/DP270 items, vs. "04/05>" for the KTB461/DP245 items, which presumably mean 'before April 2005' and 'after April 2005' respectively. At least it's clear which is the newer design, but having confidence as to whether yours needs the newer design or the older is difficult to say when there's conflicting advice on when the switchover occurred. Unfortunately you can't see the existing parts fitted to compare without taking stuff apart.

Given that costs for such jobs have been crazy high lately, and that the ford interval is 100,000 or 8 years (Haynes recommend 60,000) and you've only done 25,000 / 6-7 years, if I was you I might be tempted to take the risk of waiting it out a little while longer, but it's a tough decision to make.

INA is a brand name of Schaeffler. 

Schaeffler is a major industrial and automotive manufacturer. Schaeffler manufactures industrial bearings under the ***** and INA brand names and OEM and aftermarket car parts under the INA and LuK brand names. Apart from these brand names Schaeffler also owns a considerable part of Continental.

INA timing belt kits usually consist of an INA tensioner and waterpump and a (often rebranded) Continental Contitech timing belt. The Continental timing belt kits are usually the same but rebranded differently.

Through the Years I installed quite a few INA/Continental timing belts. All without any problems.

In my opinion you can not do anything wrong with any of the following brands:

INA
Contitech
SKF
Gates
Dayco

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

I do recognise the INA name from parts used on the machinery I work on at my job.

Looking back again, the confusion is over the water pumps. The GSF car parts site describes one pump as being "From 01/2005", and the other as "To 12/2005". That must be an error as it doesn't help determine which one is correct. The Haynes manual does say that the earlier pump can be changed without removing the timing belt if needed. The later type apparently cannot.

The cost of work recently is definitely an issue. The independent Garage/MOT Station I have been using for years have recently raised their labour cost from £60/hour to £75/hour in line with their rising overhead costs. I was considering having it changed after this MOT as I have been having to make a few longer motorway runs recently.

At 18-04-2005 Ford changed the design of the water pump and timing belt tensioner.

On vehicles produced before 18-04-2005 the timing belt tensioner is installed onto the engine block. On these vehicles the water pump can easily be replaced without messing with the timing belt.

On vehicles produced after 18-04-2005 the timing belt tensioner is installed onto the waterpump. On these vehicles the water pump can only be replaced after the tensioner is removed. The timing belt itself can stay in place.

Ford even prescribes that the timing belt can be reused when replacing the waterpump. Before the tensioner is removed the timing belt needs to be held in place by special tool 303-1556 (Locking Tool, Timing Belt). This special tool basically consists of 3 plastic wedges that keep the timing belt in place once the tensioner is removed.

• Like 1

i had the gate kit fitted to my 2006 1.6 ti-vct engine, it included belt, tensioner and water pump, it cost £425 fitted at my local garage, got the car in 2019 with 72000 miles, no proof of cambelt change so got it do for my own piece of mind

• 1 month later...

The printed information sheet that I got from a Ford dealer lists the build date of my Focus as         "08/11/2005".

Am I correct that it follows the UK date format and means 8th November 2005?

GSF car parts currently have a sale on so I am considering ordering the parts to have the belt done.

The crankshaft pulley bolt apparently has to be replaced when the pulley is removed. When I type in my registration, they list three different types. There is no more information listed as to which is the correct one.

is there any way to tell before it is removed?

9 minutes ago, AntonovAN12 said:

The crankshaft pulley bolt apparently has to be replaced when the pulley is removed. When I type in my registration, they list three different types. There is no more information listed as to which is the correct one.

Indeed it does. The Dayco kit I bought came with multiple bolts to cover the different cases. The Haynes manual says knowing which to use depends upon the depth of the bolt hole, but of course you can just compare with the old one you took off. There does not seem to be any way of knowing in advance which would be needed.

Thanks for the reply. The INA kit also appears to include a selection of three different crank bolts. It also includes some others which I assume are for mounting the tensioner.

Due to the mismatched scale of the photo, the crank bolts appear a lot smaller than they actually are.

As far as I can tell, these are the belt kit and pump I would need.

If I had the type where the pump could be changed without removing the belt, I would leave the current pump on. As it is driven by the auxiliary belt, it wouldn't break the timing belt if it seized.

https://www.gsfcarparts.com/za028977

https://www.gsfcarparts.com/za027652

The six bolts pictured look to be the same as what was included in my kit. The one on the bottom left is for the tensioner. The silver pair top right are replacement camshaft pulley bolts (they also need replacing if you undo them during the procedure). The two black bolts directly beneath them are the two different crankshaft bolts that you'll have to choose between for your vehicle. The final big black bolt bottom right does not apply to your vehicle, I believe it's a crankshaft bolt for a different brand of vehicle that the kit also happens to be suitable for.

Thanks for the reply. The Haynes Manual says that the camshaft sprockets are made of plastic. From when I have pulled the cover back to inspect the belt, they look to be sintered metal.

Yeah I read that when I did mine. I've no idea if there's been a change in material or if they just look metallic. I can't remember what mine were like. When I did my belt I got away with not bothering to undo the camshaft sprockets, but if you want to there's a section of the camshafts themselves that are hex shaped, allowing you to hold the shaft still with a spanner whilst you turn the bolt, and this way since you're not putting any pressure on the sprockets themselves you'll avoid any danger of breaking them.