Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New wheels.

anon

My 16" upgrade from the 17" wheels arrives this weekend. Will my 2018 Fiesta automatically recognise the tyre pressure transducers after a while or will it sulk and need me to go round it with an activating transmitter?

Exactly my question. Because of the very hard ride on my 17" Titanium X I'm thinking of changing to 15" wheels/tyres. Other cars I've owned have very simple tyre pressure sensing. AFAIK a sensor 'senses' a drop in pressure if a tyre changes diameter after a puncture. They don't even inform you which tyre and definitely do not 'tell' you what the pressure is. I was very surprised to learn that some Fiesta's have pressure transducers fitted in the wheels. I was intending to use replacement wheels that would be without transducers but.........?

Individual pressure sensors fitted inside of the tyre has been a requirement on all new cars since around 2013.  A fully working TPMS is now an item that is checked on an MOT

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bertj said:

I was very surprised to learn that some Fiesta's have pressure transducers fitted in the wheels. I was intending to use replacement wheels that would be without transducers but.........?

Sorry to contradict you somewhat but direct internal pressure transducers themselves are not mandatory. Since the EU directive of 2014 either type of TPMS sensor, including indirect that works with the ABS system, are required. These detect the different rotational speed from the norm if there is over or under inflation of the tyre. For instance, my wife's 2018 VW Golf has the latter type of sensors. Obviously, if replacement wheels without internal sensors are fitted to a Fiesta then the car is strictly not legal because it will not have a functioning TPMS and would not pass the MOT. TBH I've only just realised this little known requirement so I won't be changing my wheels! A further complication is that replacement OEM internal sensors have to be re-programmed to the car's ECU. There are lots of articles on the Web about this.

Yes, of all the useless fluff we must now endure in our morbidly obese motor cars toms is the most moronic. Does it save the lives of those too stupid to check their tyres?

If so, is this necessarily a good thing?

The programmer arrived today and the wheels will be here tomorrow.

Anon - If you don't mind a follow up to your postings -

Did you get your wheels changed? If so do they have internal sensors - did you have them programmed to the car?  Do 16" wheels improve the ride significantly? 

BTW, presumably you had to inform the insurers about the chages? 

Sorry about all the questions and thanks in advance.

3 minutes ago, bertj said:

...BTW, presumably you had to inform the insurers about the chages? 

Good point, smaller cheaper wheels should entitle you to an insurance premium discount :biggrin: :biggrin::biggrin:

• Haha 2

No, I didn't  notify my insurer. The wheels are  standard equipment for the model I have. Those it came with are the "Style pack" optional extras. I haven't fitted them yet but they will significantly improve the ride.  Being standard equipment, they have internal pressure sensors.

4 minutes ago, anon said:

No, I didn't  notify my insurer. The wheels are  standard equipment for the model I have. Those it came with are the "Style pack" optional extras. I haven't fitted them yet but they will significantly improve the ride.  Being standard equipment, they have internal pressure sensors.

OK Thanks for that

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club