Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0tdci temperature issue

Bxzx16v

Sorry to have to post this on the Mondeo forum but seeing as the 2.0tdci which is in my Focus is fitted in the Mondeo too I thought I might get a quicker response on here. The car in question is a manual 2014 Focus 2.0tdci ZetecS, the car takes an absolute age to warm up and when it gets up to temp it can fluctuate depending on engine load. No loss of any coolant at all, recent timing belt and waterpump fitted along with auxiliary belt etc, car runs like a dream. Before I start having the thermostat changed is there anything else to look at? 

my 2018 2.0 TDCI takes about 10 miles to get to normal operating temperature, drives well but noticed the MPH has started to drop since the cold spell started, I was wondering if its the shutter in front of the radiator that's not closing when cold, has yours got the same fitted?

• Like 1

Yes, check the shutters (if your car has them) but even if they are open all the time, once warmed up the needle should stay steady in the middle of the gauge.

Mine started doing exactly what yours does and was fixed by a new thermostat.

• Like 1

My 2.0 Ecoblue Focus Mk4 can take at least 20 minutes or more to reach about 70oC and that's on a good day. I would love it to warm up a hell of a lot quicker but I can find no reason for it to run so cold.

In the summer when temperatures are 19oC or more the car warms up quickly and sits at just over 80oC which makes me rule out the thermostat. One thing is for sure it drastically reduces the mpg when it runs cold. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, unofix said:

One thing is for sure it drastically reduces the mpg when it runs cold. 

Mmm, and I thought it was only electric cars that reduce mpg/range when cold🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

Thanks all for your comments, been out for a run today and it will eventually go to halfway on the temp guage when underload then drops back to just over a quarter when going down hill/not underload. Still doing 45mpg though in this cold weather. 

Edited by Bxzx16v

• 2 weeks later...

I have exactly the same issues as Bxzx16v. Ford service says no fault found and Ford UK says it’s because 2.0 Ecoblue is so efficient that it generates little heat under low load! That doesn’t explain cooling down when going downhill. Surely system should reduce coolant circulation or airflow through radiator? 
Also have what appears to be limp mode problem when starting from cold on a morning under 5degC. Struggle to get above 35mph while screaming at 3000revs. Takes a couple of miles to clear. Again, Ford service just shrug their shoulders.

Not much help to you out there, but it’s good to have a moan!

• Like 1

Hi Repol, could be one or more of your glowplugs are burnt out, that could explain your cold start issue. They don't  last forever! 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, nicam49 said:

They don't  last forever! 

I'd like to think they last more than just 24 months

10 hours ago, Repol said:

I have exactly the same issues as Bxzx16v. Ford service says no fault found and Ford UK says it’s because 2.0 Ecoblue is so efficient that it generates little heat under low load! That doesn’t explain cooling down when going downhill. Surely system should reduce coolant circulation or airflow through radiator? 
Also have what appears to be limp mode problem when starting from cold on a morning under 5degC. Struggle to get above 35mph while screaming at 3000revs. Takes a couple of miles to clear. Again, Ford service just shrug their shoulders.

Not much help to you out there, but it’s good to have a moan!

I'd love to get to the bottom of my Focus fluctuating temperature issue but don't want to fit a thermostat at whatever it costs if it isn't going to solve the issue, my wife has a Landrover with the PSA 2.2 diesel and that is upto temperature in no time at all and the temperature guage stays halfway and never moves.

Edited by Bxzx16v

3 hours ago, Bxzx16v said:

my wife has a Landrover with the PSA 2.2 diesel and that is upto temperature in no time at all and the temperature guage stays halfway and never moves.

That's because its thermostat isn't stuck open.

I'll get a new thermostat fitted and hopefully it should sort it then

7 hours ago, alanfp said:

That's because its thermostat isn't stuck open.

I don't know if your engine also has an oil cooler. If it does, then there should be a 'stat for that too. My TDCi has the oil 'stat mounted on the pump, and it was causing the temp fluctuations similar to yours. A replacement oil stat, however, I had to boil  up in a pan and then into cold water in order to make it go thro' a full open/close cycle as when out of the box  it was partially open. Something I've since read is quite common. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, unofix said:

I'd like to think they last more than just 24 months

Not necessarily!... after all, how long does an old-style filament light bulb last?... I found Beru which are OEM gps the best and last the longest. Also due to their design difference to other makes, are less likely to snap when trying to remove, as I've found to my cost, after accidentally fitting a non-Beru gp. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club