Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Focus?

Rhys88

My first post here so bare with me.

I’m wanting to purchase a Focus Estate ST Line X probably a 2019 or 2020 is where my budget stretches but I’m a little overwhelmed when it comes to engine choice and what is reliable or not. 

I’m currently driving a 58 plate Focus 1.8 tdci. It’s been a brilliant little car but it’s rusting like hell so it’s time to upgrade. 

I was initially looking at the 1.5 ecoboost but I’ve read some horror stories on here and a Facebook group I’ve joined, is this true? I’d probably be looking at something with 20k+ mileage. Little concerned when I’ve read about engine failures.

If I stayed with diesel which I would be more than happy to do, what are the ecoblue engines like? 

i keep reading about wet belt, dry bet? 

apologies if this has all been answered over the years on the forums, I tried searching a lot of threads but got slightly confused as to what issues relate to what models. I believe Ford changed from 4 cylinder to 3 in the ecoboost?

Many thanks,

Rhys 

Most of the issues I've read with 1.5 ecoboosts are the 4 cylinder.

If it's a 2019 or 2020 it will be the 3 cylinder 1.5 that's in the Fiesta ST.

• Thanks 1

I have 2019 Mk4 St line X 1.5 ecoblue, hatch not estate with 20k on the clock. Had it since it was 6 months old and other than replacing the battery during the first wave of Covid and two new front tyres last yr it's been spot on. Averages 52mpg with a lot of short trips and not had any major issues whatsoever.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Most of the issues I've read with 1.5 ecoboosts are the 4 cylinder.

If it's a 2019 or 2020 it will be the 3 cylinder 1.5 that's in the Fiesta ST.

I guess these 3 cylinders have a better reliability then? - it’s just the horror stories I’ve seen when googling that has put me off but like I said I wasn’t sure which engine these were actually attributed to. 

14 hours ago, Wino said:

I have 2019 Mk4 St line X 1.5 ecoblue, hatch not estate with 20k on the clock. Had it since it was 6 months old and other than replacing the battery during the first wave of Covid and two new front tyres last yr it's been spot on. Averages 52mpg with a lot of short trips and not had any major issues whatsoever. 

Thanks, 52mpg is a healthy return. 

my work commute is 15 miles each way, which consists of some urban and rural driving so realistically a petrol would probably be better than a diesel, I wasn’t so concerned with the old 1.8tdci I’m driving as it was easy to maintain, but the new ecoblue may not be as forgiving. I’m kind of on the threshold of both. I much prefer the driving style of a diesel though. 

12 minutes ago, Rhys88 said:

Thanks, 52mpg is a healthy return. 

my work commute is 15 miles each way, which consists of some urban and rural driving so realistically a petrol would probably be better than a diesel, I wasn’t so concerned with the old 1.8tdci I’m driving as it was easy to maintain, but the new ecoblue may not be as forgiving. I’m kind of on the threshold of both. I much prefer the driving style of a diesel though. 

Your commute is 10x what mine is/was, so definitely no issues with the diesel. I test drove a Kia ceed and Xceed yesterday both 1.5 petrol 160bhp and they felt gutless compared to the Focus. I put that down to the torque and turbo ov the Focus. 

17 hours ago, Rhys88 said:

My first post here so bare with me.

I’m wanting to purchase a Focus Estate ST Line X probably a 2019 or 2020 is where my budget stretches but I’m a little overwhelmed when it comes to engine choice and what is reliable or not. 

I’m currently driving a 58 plate Focus 1.8 tdci. It’s been a brilliant little car but it’s rusting like hell so it’s time to upgrade. 

I was initially looking at the 1.5 ecoboost but I’ve read some horror stories on here and a Facebook group I’ve joined, is this true? I’d probably be looking at something with 20k+ mileage. Little concerned when I’ve read about engine failures.

If I stayed with diesel which I would be more than happy to do, what are the ecoblue engines like? 

i keep reading about wet belt, dry bet? 

apologies if this has all been answered over the years on the forums, I tried searching a lot of threads but got slightly confused as to what issues relate to what models. I believe Ford changed from 4 cylinder to 3 in the ecoboost?

Many thanks,

Rhys 

The 1.5 Ecoblue Diesel is a cracking engine, very good on fuel, mine never went below 55 MPG average

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

The 1.5 Ecoblue Diesel is a cracking engine,

Yes, a much safer bet than a 1.0 Ecoboost.

20 hours ago, Rhys88 said:

My first post here so bare with me

I'm not getting my kit off with you, especially in this freezing weather! 🤣

• Haha 4

What’s the craic with the wet belts on the ecoblue, are they something to consider?
My tdci has the chain.

im guessing if the correct oils have been used on servicing then everything should be okay? When’s replacement due, 100,000 / 10yrs?

maybe i’m reading too much into stuff. Like somebody who self diagnoses their illness off a Google search. 

Just now, Rhys88 said:

What’s the craic with the wet belts on the ecoblue, are they something to consider?
My tdci has the chain.

im guessing if the correct oils have been used on servicing then everything should be okay? When’s replacement due, 100,000 / 10yrs?

maybe i’m reading too much into stuff. Like somebody who self diagnoses their illness off a Google search. 

Only the 1.0 ecoboost had a wet belt.

• Like 1

Are you sure, I think wet belts are in other engines . Not easy to find out.

2 hours ago, mjt said:

I'm not getting my kit off with you, especially in this freezing weather! 🤣

What's wrong with the weather ? 

A bit of frost in the morning but it's still shorts n t-shirt all day 👍

id seen this video from Ford which shows the belt in oil which made me think it was on all ecoblue engines.

I hadn't realised they changed it to a wet belt for the 2.0 Ecoblue, dumb decision imo.

I can't say for certain with the 1.5 Ecoblue, it's the first time I've heard of a wet belt other than the 1.0.

Hopefully someone else can confirm for the 1.5 Ecoblue, although can't say as I'd want to buy in to anything diesel now personally.

On 1/24/2023 at 3:17 PM, alexp999 said:

I hadn't realised they changed it to a wet belt for the 2.0 Ecoblue, dumb decision imo.

I can't say for the 1.5 Ecoblue ,it's the first time I've heard of a wet belt other than the 1.0.

Hopefully someone else can confirm for the 1.5 Ecoblue, although can't say as I'd want to buy in to anything diesel now personally.

Well this is it, I would consider the petrol but have heard some horror stories. I’ve got my heart set on the estate ST line X, there’s not really another estate car out there at my price point 17-20k that I like. I still think there’s life in the diesel just yet, yes cost of fuel has increased dramatically but still returning much better mpg than petrol so the cost levels off somewhat. I’m not so sure emission zones will disrupt euro 6 diesels too much… well not where I live up north !   

This is the tech spec for the latest Kuga.

it seems to indicate the 2.0 ecoblue has a wet belt but the 1.5 ecoblue has a dry belt and chain cam to cam drive.

Kuga_Euro_TechSpec.pdf

• Like 1

Brilliant, that’s narrowed my search atleast. 1.5 ecoblue it is! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Wino said:

A bit of frost in the morning but it's still shorts n t-shirt all day

My Mum used to say "where there's no sense there's no feeling" :biggrin:

1 hour ago, mjt said:

My Mum used to say "where there's no sense there's no feeling" :biggrin:

Totally agree 👍

If you Google “focus euro tech spec” , I think you’ll find the info you are looking for.

website media.ford.com 

I’ve got a 2019 1.5L ecoboost. What’s the horror stories? 
Mines got over 45k miles on it…

For mk4 the 1.5L petrol or the 2L diesel are probably the only engines I’d consider. Btw both discontinued within a couple of years of being released. For emissions reasons apparently 🧐 

2 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

I’ve got a 2019 1.5L ecoboost. What’s the horror stories? 
Mines got over 45k miles on it…

There aren't really any on the 3 pot that I know of, it's the 4 pot 1.5 in the mk3.5 that is most talked about.

• Like 1

I concur, it's the 4 cylinder 1.5 ecoboost that has the critical design flaw with coolant lines on the block blowing through the head gasket. I initially got caught up in the same stories during my research that now dominate any internet search. Rest assured the 1.5 3 cylinder "Little Dragon" engine seems okay, amazing in fact. I don't get anywhere close to diesel mileage with the petrol though; 33mpg short journeys / 40mpg motorway cruise.

Yes it is the same engine as fitted to the Fiesta ST mk8 and the 2021-22 Ford Bronco Sport in the US.

• Like 1