Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake fluid/Brake problem

darkbluedestroyer

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before or if it’s a stupid question but i’m pretty clueless. I got in my car this morning and as I was driving noticed the brakes were feeling different so decided to go back home and as I was going back the rest brake light appeared on my dashboard and a message appeared on my screen saying my brake fluid is low and to get a service. I put brake fluid in the car and the warning and light has disappeared but the brakes still don’t feel right. 

I am planning on phoning the RAC as I am covered by them but I am just wondering is there anything I can do or am doing wrong to fix the problem easily? Or is it an issue that will definitely need professional assistance.

Thanks very much for any help, my car is a 2009 Ford Fiesta.

When was the last time the brake fluid was fully changed ?

2 minutes ago, unofix said:

When was the last time the brake fluid was fully changed ?

It’s been a few years. I should be clued up on what’s needed for a car but just isn’t something i’ve ever thought about, stupidly.

I suspect you have a leak if the level was so low that the warning light came on, OR, the brake pads and/or brake shoes have worn so much that the fluid level dropped.

I would recommend getting it booked in and having the brakes checked for wear and at the same time get the brake fluid changed.

2 minutes ago, unofix said:

I suspect you have a leak if the level was so low that the warning light came on, OR, the brake pads and/or brake shoes have worn so much that the fluid level dropped.

I would recommend getting it booked in and having the brakes checked for wear and at the same time get the brake fluid changed.

No worries thanks very much. Like I said i’m covered by the RAC through my insurance so I’m going to give them a call tomorrow morning and see what they say, and if required they tow it to a nearby garage. 

It doesn’t feel safe to drive at all so that is probably the best bet.

A fourteen year old car could have perished flexible hoses although in many years I have never seen one burst. You may have a failed slave cylinder in a rear drum which will show as an oily contamination around the back brake which needs washing off and keeping off the paintwork,  More likely than a burst hose. Could be that the master cylinder has failed and the fluid is going into the servo or it may be that one of the metal pipes has failed. Either way, noticing that something was wrong before the warning light came up shows you are not as clueless as you think. Brake parts are not unduly expensive but steer clear of Ford dealerships and ask around for the local good guy. He will not only be cheaper than Ford,  there is a 90% chance that he will be more competent.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, anon said:

A fourteen year old car could have perished flexible hoses although in many years I have never seen one burst. You may have a failed slave cylinder in a rear drum which will show as an oily contamination around the back brake which needs washing off and keeping off the paintwork,  More likely than a burst hose. Could be that the master cylinder has failed and the fluid is going into the servo or it may be that one of the metal pipes has failed. Either way, noticing that something was wrong before the warning light came up shows you are not as clueless as you think. Brake parts are not unduly expensive but steer clear of Ford dealerships and ask around for the local good guy. He will not only be cheaper than Ford,  there is a 90% chance that he will be more competent.

Thanks for the message, the RAC confirmed it was a leak in my wheel cylinder (which i believe is the same as the slave cylinder you mentioned) so it is at a garage now to get fixed. Not a costly job so all good! 

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the wheel cylinder is what I had in mind. Old age does for them. A fresh one and new fluid will put it all to rights