Do Not Sell My Personal Information

After Market Head unit

Lambelli

Hi, I have fitted an Xtrons head unit into my 2008 focus. the problem I am having is the milage display stays on when ignition is off, I know it's meant to stay on for a 20 minutes or so but the segment that displays the fuel range usually goes out. but mine is staying fully on for over an hour, this started when I connected the ACC wire on the radio. The harness supplied with the head unit only had yellow and black connected  with the ACC wire seprate and capped of and thats how I installed it and the radio switched on and off and worked ok untill I switched off and and switched on the followheing day when it would go through the whole boot up routine again not instantly coming on. I was advised to connect the ACC wire to a switched live so I  wired it into the plug along with yellow and black and thats when the display started staying fully on, if I remove the ACC wire the display goes back to normal i.e the range segment goes off instantly and the and rest after 20 minuts.

I just want my head unit to switch on without always going through the bootup routine as it should, and the display to shut down normaly. any help would be greatly received

thanks.

6 minutes ago, unofix said:

Connect a diode in series with the ACC wire which at the moment is 'Back Feeding' the aux circuit. Use something like a 1N4004 diode.

The depths of your knowledge never cease to amaze me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, StephenFord said:

The depths of your knowledge never cease to amaze me!

We need to know if it works first!!! 😉

1 hour ago, VFR800 said:

We need to know if it works first!!! 😉

You doubt me !!!! 🤣 🤣

Of course you are correct, it may not fix the problem, I have assumed the OP has connected the constant live and the switched live the right way round. 🤔

• Like 1

Hi thanks for the reply. I emailed the manufacturer and got the folling reply.

1):For correct operation the stereo needs to be powered as described here

Yellow Wire - 12V permanent

Red Wire - 12V switched from the ignition (ACC)

Black - Ground

Most commonly this is resolved by "Reversing the Lives" this is simply removing the RED and YELLOW wire and exchanging their position in the ISO . Each pin has a small tab that can be depressed with a small flat screwdriver allowing you to remove the pin from the ISO connection, when removed press the tab out so it will lock into place when reinserted.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Gabby

so I did swap the to lives as suggested didn't make blind bit of difference. so I looked at the can decoder box and saw it is for ford mondeo. I removed the box and everything went back to normal I.e mileage display works as it should, I just don't have steering wheel controls volume up down ect. I will try the diod though.

This sounds similar to issues I had when I fitted android tablet head unit couple of years back - it was keeping the car awake while connected and couldn’t lock the doors. Removing the canbus box sort of fixed it but without steering wheel controls working etc

Thought it was a problem with the box but I’d missed some info about disconnecting one of the connections maybe ACC it was on its own plug & socket in the loom. 

My unit boots up each time I put the ignition on but it’s not an issue for me

Hi troy45, my previous head unit a cheap (£68) chinees job gave me trouble by draining the battery over night, I was told to cut the Acc wire and fixed it retained the can box and steering wheel controls still worked. I only upgraded to Xtrons because the cheapy only had 1gb memory and couldnot install anything.

I presume you're aware that Xtrons is Chinese also.

Yes I'm aware, but it is streets ahead of the no name one I had, 2x32gb much better screen and more responsive, apart from the can bus decoder Issue I'm happy with it.

Ok Guys, Diode and solder seal wire connectors arrived this morning. Will be doing the job tomorrow will let you know if successful or not.

• Like 3

Don't forget which way round the Switched live and the constant live is, you might have to swap them.

• Thanks 1

will make sure to have the switched and constant in the original positions. I did switch them around didn't make any difference to the operation of the head unit so will switch back.

Unofix you cracked it! it works😄 Thanks for the advice its fixed, no more head unit in and out, its been out more times than jordans upper torso.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lambelli said:

Unofix you cracked it! it works😄 Thanks for the advice its fixed, no more head unit in and out, its been out more times than jordans upper torso.

I refer my honourable member to the comment I made earlier (about Unofix)

"The depths of your knowledge never cease to amaze me!"

He certainly knows his onions, and diodes, glad you got sorted...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club