Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Forscan

Luke14

Hello everybody,

I have a 2014 Ford fiesta studio. Which as most of you probably know has the basic of the basic. I’ve heard a lot on this forum about forscan and was wondering if this is something that would benefit me to allow me to add new things. I’ve done a lot of reading on this and also come across people bricking their cars. This is something I obviously don’t want to happen so before I order a cable and get forscan I just wanted to see if anyone had some important tips before I go start fiddling around. 
thanks a lot 

Yes. If you don't know what you're doing . don't do it. A 2014 Fiesta Studio is what it is. A good and basic little car. Save up for a year, don't meddle with it or chuck money at it(Most of the things it lacks you will need hardware to enable, as well as Forscan.)

Forscan can be used to code in accessories in cars that have the basic infrastructure to allow them to be wired in and programmed. Key to this is a box called the BCM or Body Control Module. Titanium and Titanium X cars have a lot more stuff programmed into this box by default but changing it and then geting basic things like the locks and immobiliser to work are not nursery slope stuff. It is your car and your money and I am really the last person to tell you not to hack in and modify it but in this case, I very much doubt if it would be worthwhile or that you would learn anything of use to you. Where Forscan is most commonly used is to diagnose faults but again, I know of many people who have gone looking for trouble and found it. there's a lot said for if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Buy a Dongle, download the free version of Forscan which is look but don't touch and you will be able to learn a bit without ***** up the car. When you can afford a better one, you can start programming in any black boxes you don't have.

Realistically, this isn't going to be your car for life and it is likely to be good and reliable, if unspectacular. It is still a much better car than its contemporaries. Look forward to a better one and keep this one in good nick. People buy the shine on cars this old, not the gadgets, which they distrust. Use that tip to your avantage.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, anon said:

Yes. If you don't know what you're doing . don't do it. A 2014 Fiesta Studio is what it is. A good and basic little car. Save up for a year, don't meddle with it or chuck money at it(Most of the things it lacks you will need hardware to enable, as well as Forscan.)

Forscan can be used to code in accessories in cars that have the basic infrastructure to allow them to be wired in and programmed. Key to this is a box called the BCM or Body Control Module. Titanium and Titanium X cars have a lot more stuff programmed into this box by default but changing it and then geting basic things like the locks and immobiliser to work are not nursery slope stuff. It is your car and your money and I am really the last person to tell you not to hack in and modify it but in this case, I very much doubt if it would be worthwhile or that you would learn anything of use to you. Where Forscan is most commonly used is to diagnose faults but again, I know of many people who have gone looking for trouble and found it. there's a lot said for if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Buy a Dongle, download the free version of Forscan which is look but don't touch and you will be able to learn a bit without ***** up the car. When you can afford a better one, you can start programming in any black boxes you don't have.

Realistically, this isn't going to be your car for life and it is likely to be good and reliable, if unspectacular. It is still a much better car than its contemporaries. Look forward to a better one and keep this one in good nick. People buy the shine on cars this old, not the gadgets, which they distrust. Use that tip to your avantage.

Thank you very much for this. This has really helped me. Bricking the car is the last thing I want to do and I was just intrigued by what forscan can actually do. But obviously you know much better than me and I really don’t want to risk owning a massive paper weight so thanks a lot and I will probably hold off for now 

22 minutes ago, Luke14 said:

...Bricking the car is the last thing I want to do and I was just intrigued by what forscan can actually do....

I am terrified of ForScan LOL I have often been advised on this forum to use it for this & that, but I have a very limited 'IT' knowledge, so it's inevitable that a couple of errant clicks will land me owning a huge paperweight. When I first got my car, I did buy a 'cable' and downloaded ForScan on my laptop, but have never used either.

There is no shame in knowing your limits...

• Like 1

I would suggest for anyone interested in FORScan but very unsure of what or how it works to first of all get the Android version with the bluetooth adapter, vLinker FD.

You can then ;play about with it and learn about what it does quite safely. The Android version can not make any programming changes. It can read and clear DTC's and perform basic maintenance resets like 'oil life' indicators. You can also use it to read live data, which can often be useful.  

• Like 2

Exactly. The free versions will not allow you to damage the car. They can read but not write data to the car's critical systems, which is why I recommended it to the OP. It is a really good way to learn how to diagnose and learn about the car's systems.

8 hours ago, unofix said:

I would suggest for anyone interested in FORScan but very unsure of what or how it works to first of all get the Android version with the bluetooth adapter, vLinker FD.

That is something I may actually try. I reckon my fear stems from me messing about with the 'registry' of one of my 1st ever computers running Windows 3.1 (it was a long time ago!). On trying to fix a recurrent error, I ended up basically bricking the computer and having to do a clean install of Windows, losing all data in the process. At least that was only a computer, not my daily driver LOL

Is this the adapter I need?

Also, is the app called, 'FordSys Scan Lite'?

Hi Stephen,

If you are using an Android phone you need the vLinker FD adapter, and if you are using an iPhone (Heaven help you 😧) then you need the vLinker FD+ adapter. That link you posted is for the iPhone version.

The software links for the Android version have been changed because of the Russian / Ukrainian war and so you need the following version for an Android phone:

https://store.payproglobal.com/checkout?products[1][id]=81300

Cost is £5.94

Google has suspended FORScan's Google Play Account (think they've taken their ball home 🤣)

FORScan Lite Independent.JPG

6 minutes ago, unofix said:

Hi Stephen,

If you are using an Android phone you need the vLinker FD adapter, and if you are using an iPhone (Heaven help you 😧) then you need the vLinker FD+ adapter. That link you posted is for the iPhone version.

The software links for the Android version have been changed because of the Russian / Ukrainian war and so you need the following version for an Android phone:

https://store.payproglobal.com/checkout?products[1][id]=81300

Cost is £5.94

Google has suspended FORScan's Google Play Account (think they've taken their ball home 🤣)

FORScan Lite Independent.JPG

I'm a little confused when you say the link I posted was for IOS (NO, I don't have an iPhone, I'm a man of intelligence LOL)

Does the little green man icon not mean it does Android as well?

709090197_androidadapter.thumb.jpg.dee922d1d1ab8ca935da2be8a301f973.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Stephen, yes I believe the FD+ version does work with both Android and iOS, but .......

@Tizer pointed out to me just this week that the FD+ version was developed for the iOS system and although it works with android it is slower than the the standard FD version which is purely for android.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I'm a little confused when you say the link I posted was for IOS (NO, I don't have an iPhone, I'm a man of intelligence LOL)

Does the little green man icon not mean it does Android as well?

709090197_androidadapter.thumb.jpg.dee922d1d1ab8ca935da2be8a301f973.jpg

There is something dodgy about that link, the FD+ is normally about £44, the FD is normally about £34.

The four small photos also show four different products. 

Just now, Tizer said:

There is something dodgy about that link, the FD+ is normally about £44, the FD is normally about £34.

The four small photos also show four different products. 

I noticed that too when trying to buy, on going to my favoured place, eBay, the adapter is around £40! I arrived at that link via Google, will not be using, does look very dodgy! LOL

• Like 1

Does Stephen really need such an expensive adapter?  He'll never be using it for any of the modern Fords.

I spent about £15 on a wired ELM adapter back in 2014 and haven't found any Ford it doesn't work on so far.  (Not that I've tried it on anything post ~2017 tbf).

Quite right. An ELM327 is usually all you need. Stick it into a laptop and you're good to go.

33 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Does Stephen really need such an expensive adapter?  He'll never be using it for any of the modern Fords.

I spent about £15 on a wired ELM adapter back in 2014 and haven't found any Ford it doesn't work on so far.  (Not that I've tried it on anything post ~2017 tbf).

I never thought I would agree with an 'upsell' LOL However, I think as a 'learning' tool, getting an FD bluetooth adapter which I can only use with a BT connection with my Android phone, should keep me out of trouble. Have found one for £23 which isn't extortionate.

Anyone confirm this one will do before I hit the purchase button?

Darn annoying, it won't link directly, you have to click on the 1st photo to get the £23 version LOL

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, unofix said:

That link is taking me to the FD+ adapter for £24.92

On the same page is the FD adapter for £19.85

That's very annoying, you must have some special discount cookie built in, as I can only get a £23.17 price showing (sad face...)

890344974_23poundsadapter.thumb.jpg.6fcc380cb2748e4d49581bebf8f3f823.jpg

Not sure why I get a special price, maybe you just have to pay the NI tax 🤣

FD.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, unofix said:

Not sure why I get a special price, maybe you just have to the NI tax 🤣

Aahhh, just noticed it's showing you a special  discounted first order price, I ordered a phone case 2 years ago, darn their good memory LOL

• Haha 2