Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Antifreeze loss

Goldie Hawk

about 4/5 weeks ago, I done my usual regular fluid checks etc, the other day.

I noticed the antifreeze level was at the Min marker on the expansion tank.

I topped it up to Max marker, on checking it today, it is back down at Min marker.

there is no sign of oil/water mix on either dipstick or oil cap, no signs of a leak.

so where is it.

is it possible the cap on the expansion tank wasn't tight enough or not sealing properly.

Any advice, appreciated

The Ford caps on the expansion tank have a poor record of leaks and failures, as in fact the actual expansion tank itself does.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

so yesterday, I eventually Ofer 6 months, of topping up anti-freeze periodically, I see evidence of a leak, a small damp patch at the front (driver side), just behind bumper width.

I looked at every hose from the top, everything looked dry, the rad from the from looks dry.

I removed the lower plastic cowl behind the bumper and where the rad sits, there was some anti-freeze in it. looking up I still couldn't see the bottom of the rad as there is another bracket bolted in position, I presume supporting the rad, however, so couldn't check for a loose hose/clip etc, there is something like black foam between this bracket and the rad(presumably), that is soaking in antifreeze.

as a stop gap, I have put in some "stop leak" rad seal, maybe help, as the loss over 6 months has been minimal, and probably been getting soaked up with this section of foam.

hope this helps, if anyone else has same issue to have a look, in the same place.

any advice appreciated

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, just saw your post, I had the exact same issue recently, first coolant was low and then I was having to top it up every 2 weeks(ish). Had mechanic look it over but he couldn't find a leak.

As it was starting to really bug me I decided to tear it down and eventually found it coming from the side of the radiator..

I had the front stripped off and found that it looks as if dirt and debris built up on the bottom 2 inches causing it to fail. Replaced the rad and all is well now again. Feel free to ask any questions if you have any.

My local radiator repair guy had a look to see if it could be repaired but he said it was splitting up along the side. Funny enough too, he couldn't order a new one, he said they're just not listed. Motor factors all said the same too, they had all the fords except the Edge. Main dealer was close to €500. So I went digging and found that the 2.0 TDCI in our Edge uses the same parts as the Mondeo and galaxy. (Ford Galaxy radiator was €170 next day delivered) all dimensions are identical, fitted and running fine now since. 

IMG_20230619_064249.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club