Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flash code 16 - any simple thing I can try to fix?

StephenFord

I have recently had an intermittent fault on my Mk2 2005 which I just assumed was the infamous 'cluster' fault so was getting ready to ship off and get fixed. However, I stumbled upon a YouTube that described a flash code 16 error. A rapid flashing immobiliser LED along with the odometer showing just 2 x rows of dots, that is exactly what I have been experiencing. It's not a permanent fault, and can be got rid of, by withdrawing key, and reinserting a few times, even locking/unlocking door can shift it usually.

Now, before you all bombard me with 'forscan', are there any simple things I can check for a cause of the error?

201433735_flash16code.thumb.jpg.8c03403128ebcaf7f54c477eed7501b3.jpg 

Hi Stephen, I don't know if this was the YouTube you found. If not it might be helpful.

It's suggesting the code 16 error is lost communication with the ECU. Sounds like your classic solder joint fault but you could confirm it with . . . . . . . .Forscan! :laugh:

• Haha 1

You're not the first on the forum with the PATS 16 error code and I doubt you will be the last. The short answer I would say is it's the solder.

FORScan forever 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mjt said:

Hi Stephen, I don't know if this was the YouTube you found. If not it might be helpful.

It's suggesting the code 16 error is lost communication with the ECU. Sounds like your classic solder joint fault but you could confirm it with . . . . . . . .Forscan! :laugh:

That is exactly the video I saw, though was interested in that the narrator states that the fault occurred even after they had repaired the cluster...

Well, based on what he was saying maybe it's worth checking the earths. You can certainly get intermittent faults from bad earths.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I am having the same fault as this! I have had the cluster resoldered and all the pin show continuity to the test pads car won’t start get lots of errors. To include transmission, engine, power steering etc! Don’t know what to do now so any help would be good ! The forscan won’t scan as it can’t read the ODB and the imobliser light flashes like crazy. Please help 

1 hour ago, Matt999 said:

as it can’t read the ODB and the imobliser light flashes like crazy.

That sounds like there is no 12V power to the OBDII port.

Check carefully for a blown fuse in the passenger compartment fuesbox.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club