Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Titanium 08 plate silver trim on boot

Tuns

Hi

The silver trim that sits just above the number plate and houses the rear light for the number plate has become loose and is hanging off. Has anyone had any experience fixing this themselves?

Looking at it, it looks like the screws holding the trim on have become rusted and one has completely failed.  Also, all the sealant has pretty much disintegrated away. 

Im just wondering if anyone has repaired   theirs and has any advice? 

Thanks 

Partly depends how properly you want to do it and how nice your car is.  Some people (which could be me) might be tempted to shove some no more nails down the back of it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, isetta said:

Partly depends how properly you want to do it and how nice your car is.  Some people (which could be me) might be tempted to shove some no more nails down the back of it. 

Ha. Well I'd like it to look tidy. It's the sealant bit that I'll probably struggle with. Also getting the remaining bolt off is a pain in the arsed as it's all seized on.  

They're usually beyond repair and need replacing.  Expensive and hard to find in silver (chrome) though as most were body coloured.

You'll see plenty just taped on if you start looking at other Mk2.5s!

• Thanks 1

Search for ZZVF ZVXY-FCS4-010 and see what comes up. I have fitted one on my car and it fits perfectly, and it's almost the tenth of the price Ford is asking for it. This is very dark grey, not black as some places listed, the part number for the chrome is ZZVF ZVXY-FCS4-010A. I was going to wrap mine anyway so i did'nt bother with the chrome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've managed to source a replacement but it's the sealant part I'm going to struggle with. 

I might focus my time this weekend actually getting it off and asses the damage 

Cheers for the help 

The sealant was originally sticky backed foam.  You can buy it in sheets or rolls online.  

16 hours ago, isetta said:

Yep, or use 3M tape

12 hours ago, Tuns said:

I've managed to source a replacement but it's the sealant part I'm going to struggle with. 

I might focus my time this weekend actually getting it off and asses the damage 

Cheers for the help 

I bought this by the meter on eBay, search for one side foam tape or something similar. I think i ordered 1.5 or 2 mm thick, and 20 mm wide.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My last focus was exactly the same with the silver trim, it was hanging off so I just bought another in the colour of my car rather than chrome.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. 

Just wanted to say thanks for all the information shared on here and I'd thought I'd give you an update on how I fixed my trim. 

So I started off by purchasing this trim,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204043114163?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=rpryqp3dthe&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=uIFM_hbERhq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

It was about £25. It is plastic but its decent. 

I started off by removing the back panel on my boot which is done by removing two single screws which are located here, 

IMG_20230415_170939804.thumb.jpg.813c210ae9f7e0ce1ebcea09a82b5802.jpgIMG_20230415_170929924.thumb.jpg.41a3899b478057cb31077f95a9ac1228.jpg

Once these screws are off you can pop the panel off by sliding a flat head screw driver down the sides as shown here 

IMG_20230415_170959031.thumb.jpg.2e27ec92dbc680c05dc852ecdb039fe1.jpg

Just be careful. It doesn't too much pressure. Just make your way round and they should pop off. 

Once that is off, you'll see the screws and bolts that are holding the trim attached. Undo these and put the bolts somewhere safe because obviously you'll need them later. 

Now the trim should be loose. So you'll need to take the two number plate light fittings out and the boot sensor button that opens the boot. This can be a bit chewy but they do come out with a bit of wiggling.  Regarding the number plate fittings, you will need to remove the bulbs from the fitting but it is quite simple. Just twist the white fitting that's attached and they pop out. Do this to both of them. Regarding the boot sensor/switch you'll see a little catch which you can just lift up and the unit slides off. 

Now you should be able to fully remove the trim.  If you look on the trim hopefully you'll see these bits,

IMG_20230415_171032606.thumb.jpg.524e3c6ad0c3c094769099f20e18bb11.jpg

You'll need to get them screws out of the fixing because you'll need to use them to fix the new trim to the boot. They are quite stiff to get out but I sprayed a bit of wd40 in there and then wedged them out with pliers and a flat head screw driver. Once they are out they look like this,

IMG_20230415_171058694.thumb.jpg.63620fb920ab253b0bb93501770cd322.jpg

My tip is to put the bolts you took out earlier back on them before you start to remove them from their fixings as this will stop you damaging the thread on the screws. 

Once you've got them out you'll see they just fit back into the new trim like they did on the old one. You can add some adhesive if you wish but it's not a must. 

So now you've got the trim off you'll need to get the badge off. This was the hardest part because it felt like ford just didn't want to get the badge off 😂 I used a hairdryer and heated the adhesive under the badge. I did finally manage to get the badge off but unfortunately it took a bit of brute force which ultimately altered the shape of the badge around the edge. I've decided to buy a new badge as mine was looking shabby anyway. I've picked one up from eBay for £6. It'll do the job for me but obviously this part is totally up to you. 

Now you can fit the light fittings and boot sensor/switch back in the new trim. This is pretty simple but the right hand one is a bit more tricky as there isn't much room for it to get back in. I took the bulb out, put the fitting half back in and then slipped the bulb back in before I clipped the fitting back into place. It's tricky at first but you'll get there eventually. 

The next step is optional but I'd recommend you did it. I purchased some double side adhesive from Halfords and just cut different length strips across the inside of the trim so that when I bolted it back on it just sat a bit more plush. 

Now you just need to line it all up and you'll notice when you push the trim back on it clips on via two clips and then you just bolt it back on. Once that's done you can now pop your boot cover back and on screw it back in. 

This is how mine looks 

1782445226_IMG_20230415_1652395062.thumb.jpg.c701023ad645aa115d542573bf0a99af.jpg

Apologies for how filthy my car is. Now the trim is fixed I'll be giving it a good wash. 

I hope this helps someone to fix there trim. I'm by no means an expert and I have no experience at bodywork at all so please don't hold me accountable if yours goes haywire. But that's half the fun isn't it 😂😂😂😂

• Like 3

This would also help people fit certain reversing cameras as this is how I fitted mine

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When i bought this new boot trim to replace the old one i reinforced it where the mounts are with hot glue. I really soaked them in hot glue tbh!😂

• Haha 1

Just thought I'd update with a pic with the car cleaned and new badge on 

IMG_20230426_174936631_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tuns said:

with the car cleaned and new badge on

It's looking much better 👍 👍 👍

I see the car is along way from home "D & G CARS, Unit 40, Childerditch Hall Drive, Little Warley, Brentwood"

• Haha 1

Ha yeah it is. 

Its been a decent motor. It's looked after me. Just starting to show its age now and problems are starting to creep in. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club