Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 KA headlights permanently on !!

bizniz001

battery went flat in 2009 1.2 Ka, charged up battery and put back on car, headlamps are on permanently no matter if switched off, car locked , lights will just stay on until battery is drained. Anyone come across this before , appreciate any advice.

I know very little about the electrics on a 2009 Ka, but on most other Fords a fault like that would be caused by a faulty GEM or BCM

I expect your car will be equipped with a GEM unit which again on other Ford's it is part of the passenger compartment fuse box. Check it for signs of water ingress and/or corrosion.

Of course there is just a very slight chance that the headlight switch is faulty which should be fairly easy to check simply by disconnecting the switch.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, unofix said:

I know very little about the electrics on a 2009 Ka, but on most other Fords a fault like that would be caused by a faulty GEM or BCM

I expect your car will be equipped with a GEM unit which again on other Ford's it is part of the passenger compartment fuse box. Check it for signs of water ingress and/or corrosion.

Of course there is just a very slight chance that the headlight switch is faulty which should be fairly easy to check simply by disconnecting the switch.

Ok, thanks , I'll take a look at the weekend, the switch does turn the lights on and off for the instrument panel, I'll perhaps see if I can borrow a diagnostic too, thanks for the advice.

Common problem on FIAT UNO/PUNTO/500 which is what your car is.

Take a look on the FIAT forums, it's NOT the switch, it's water in the Body Control module (probably)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of a late reply, yes it was water ingress in the BCU, i took it apart and cleaned it up with contact cleaner, put it all back together and yes lights are working fine now. only thing is the car wont start, immobilizer light is on permanently, fault codes in ecu and bcu , great 😒 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club