Do Not Sell My Personal Information

!Guide! Replacing Calliper Pistons - MK7 2011

CursedBones

----------------------------------------------------------

-Ford Fiesta Zetec JA8  08-13

-Tightly place clingfilm over the fluid reservoir and reattach the cap to create a vacuum

-Crack off the 19mm wheel nuts for any wheel that needs to be removed
-Support either side of the car that needs to be worked on with axle stands
-Remove any wheel that needs to be removed

-Spray penetrating oil & wire brush the calliper banjo & slide pin bolts

-Slightly back off the brake hose 12mm banjo bolt with a SOCKET & butt it back up but without force
-Pry the piston & pads back in with a screwdriver 
-Unbolt the calliper carrier 12mm bolts with a SOCKET and pull the carrier away from the pads (Hold the slide pins with a 17mm spanner if they keep spinning)

-You can now pop the piston out with the brake pedal. Unbolt the brake hose & cable tie it in a elevated position with an ear plug sealing the end of the hose.
This is the messy way to do it. The better way is the next step.

-Unbolt the brake hose (12mm), cable tie it in an elevated position with an ear plug sealing the end of the hose
-Pour the brake fluid out of the calliper
-Use an air compressor in the hole in of the calliper to pop the piston fully out

-Clean inside the piston chamber with brake cleaner and a soft brush
-Apply red rubber grease inside the piston chamber.
-Fit the piston chamber O ring (lube it up first)

-Fit the boot over the piston so that the outer seal is hanging over the edge of the solid side of the piston. The boot should be stretched out so that the inner seal is far up the piston so that it does not slide off.

-Seat the outer seal inside the groove until it is fully seated. Push the piston back in to seat the inner seal.

-Use an air compressor in the brake hose hole to slightly push the piston out & to check for any air leaks and to visually check that both seals are properly seated

-Push the piston back in and attach the calliper carrier to the calliper bracket
-Secure the calliper 12mm carrier bolts @ 28Nm (Ideally replace these bolts)
-Reattach the brake hose & 12mm banjo bolt @ 26Nm (Use a new copper washer on the banjo bolt - Ideally replace the banjo bolt)

-Bleed each line that has been opened

-Apply a conservative amount of aluminium anti seize to the hat of the rotor(s) (Don't get any on the studs)
-Reattach the wheel(s)
-Lower the car back down
-Tighten all wheel nuts to 110Nm (19mm)

Useful sources:

How to Rebuild a Brake Caliper Fast & Easy

image.png.6e499ba49c007bfc9c57d8b3d1977a89.png

8 minutes ago, mickywrx said:

Copy and pasted from an American site?

Nope I wrote it. Is that because of lug nuts? I always call them that although I know that is an American term

23 hours ago, CursedBones said:

Nope I wrote it. Is that because of lug nuts? I always call them that although I know that is an American term

Lugs are the things on the side of your heed. 😉 

They're wheel nuts/bolts this side of the pond. 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mickywrx said:

I wonder if the next guide will be how to replace the windshield wipers, or maybe the Ford badge on the Hood. 😛 

However, they seam to be good and useful guides, so I'm not want to stop you posting them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jim H said:

I wonder if the next guide will be how to replace the windshield wipers

I'm not ashamed to say I usually look for a guide before replacing the wipers for the first time on a different car. Not always as obvious as it once was and some of them are a flippin' njghtmare!😃

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I'm not ashamed to say I usually look for a guide before replacing the wipers for the first time on a different car. Not always as obvious as it once was and some of them are a flippin' njghtmare!😃

I was only commenting on the fact that Americans call the screen the windshield not windscreen, and also I mention the Hood not bonnet. 

Fiesta wipers are quite straight forward to change, you press the button and pull. I'd only look at guides (or RTFM) if the wiper arms were hidden by bonnet and you need to put them in a 'service position'.  Rear wipers on cars can be tricky if there's no button to press.

Anyway, we are going too :offtopic: now,  this thread was supposed to be about front brake callipers, not wipers.

On 2/13/2023 at 8:36 PM, mickywrx said:

I'll try and change the error of my ways. Please forgive me 😞

(Update!) I have now updated all of my guides - "Lug nuts" has been replaced by "wheel nuts" 😉

14 hours ago, Jim H said:

I wonder if the next guide will be how to replace the windshield wipers, or maybe the Ford Badge on the Hood. 😛 

However, they seam to be good and useful guides, so I'm not want to stop you posting them.

HAH! I'm basically in the process of making guides regarding anything that I have repaired on this fiesta thus far.
I think I have roughly another 15 to make and then I will be finished.

Any additional guides will come slowly with any additional repairs that I make in the future. 

I'm really hoping that will be few & far between

4 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I always skim through any guide available before I tackle any job. Sometimes you learn something new and sometimes it saves you from doing something daft

54 minutes ago, Jim H said:

I was only commenting on the fact that Americans call the screen the windshield not windscreen, and also I mention the Hood not bonnet. 

Fiesta wipers are quite straight forward to change, you press the button and pull. I'd only look at guides (or RTFM) if the wiper arms were hidden by bonnet and you need to put them in a 'service position'.  Rear wipers on cars can be tricky if there's no button to press.

Anyway, we are going too :offtopic: now,  this thread was supposed to be about front brake callipers, not wipers.

You cheeky devil!

I do actually prefer the word hood a I think its more relevant. Bonnets haven't been a thing since the Victorian era lol 
Same with trunk. I actually think it makes much more sense than boot. I do use both bonnet & boot though. I'm not a total animal.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club