Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus mk3 1.0 ecoboost sounding like Rattly WW2 Tank

During COVID, i went to ford directly to get a new clutch & gearbox for a Mk 3, manual, 1.0L Eco-boost - the slowest one that lacks a NAV system. I did so as it sounded strained at 10 MPH in first and some whine.

The work was booked but had to return hours later as gearbox seal was dripping oil. Genuine doubts they did the work i was billed for; none of the issues actually improved from a driving perspective, the seal / oil drip and that i received 3 different answers on what they intended to do before receiving invoice: servicing said: replacing the gearbox with a new one was more cost effective than replacing some parts alone: The workshop mechanic then advising the opposite. Though not sure how to argue how a 3k bill has had little to no effect on stated issues and the one complaint i made fell into a black hole.

Now i have more issues, completely unnoticeable from the inside of the cabin makes diagnosis difficult -probably why other garages can't identify the issue but i don't have 3k to lob over speculation. So i made recordings with the window down, cut, amplified and removed as much white noise as possible. I'm hoping somebody here can point me in the right direction. I've already driven in a identical model for comparison, felt and sounded relatively fine.

1. [RECORDING] When reversing, especially up a hill: there is a very loud strained noise - different from the noise we expect when reversing. Read this could be the flywheel though not sure if this would have been considered in the clutch replacement. 

2. [RECORDING] Then we have the engine noise that sounds reminiscent of a WW2 tank. Very rattly - imagine two die cast cups rattling together. Best representation is 19s to 24s in recording, does not seem in line with engine output - almost delayed so read this could be turbo related. I'm fairly confident this is not heat shield or exhaust bracket related as taking car out of gear and coasting removes the sound immediately and felt solid to me. I appreciate the recording is very faint. 

3. At full pelt, you can hear the gearbox whining in first and second - very high pitched. Can hear this slightly in first seconds of recording above. Colder the engine - louder the noise but still there when warmed up. Comes right from the center console where the box would be. This reinforces my own doubts on fords work...

50k miles on the clock, no engine lights. Above is speculation / basic research. I'd very much like to get these fixed, so i appreciate any help.

Best advice I could offer would be 'get rid' before it's too late.

On a 2015 Ecoboost 1.0 with a rattle from the engine it spells the end in 9 of 10 cases

1 minute ago, unofix said:

Best advice I could offer would be 'get rid' before it's too late.

On a 2015 Ecoboost 1.0 with a rattle from the engine it spells the end in 9 of 10 cases

it has been the case for around 4 years i should mention. literally a year after i bought it. 

You're only 18 months away from it's cambelt change. At today's prices that is between £1400 and £1800.

As it gets closer to the belt replacement day no one will be looking to buy a car that they are going to have to spend serious money on.

7 minutes ago, unofix said:

You're only 18 months away from it's cambelt change. At today's prices that is between £1400 and £1800.

As it gets closer to the belt replacement day no one will be looking to buy a car that they are going to have to spend serious money on.

Ok, so any idea as to what the issue could be for the rattle?

The usual problem of low oil pressure caused by the oil sump strainer becoming clogged up with particles of rubber from the cambelt. The turbo is also prone to oil starvation as the tiny filter in the engine that supply's the turbo becomes restricted eventually leading to failure.

How often do you have the oil and filter changed ?

Oddly the less the car is used the more important it is to change the oil. 

Oils and filters changed as part of a premium service every year, car gets moderate use. No lack in what little power it has to begin with so turbo seems to be doing its job. I'm simply going to have to go to a local mechanic and get them to listen specifically to the area. I have high doubts the car is on its last leg.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club