Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 4 Seat Issue: ST Line and Titanium Differences

CI5 Man

Hello everyone. I'm driving a 2021 ST Line Focus and really like it, except for one thing: I've always found the seat uncomfortable and/or not been unable to get a decent driving position (I bought the car without a test drive because I've driven every Ford since the Sierra and never had an issue with seats). For a few months after getting the car, I got back pain after a short time in the car. After months of fiddling with the seat, I finally got it to a position that didn't hurt my back, but my driving position was never ideal (it feels like I'm sitting much too far back in the car). Anyway, after the lockdowns etc, I've been doing more longer-distance driving and the position of the seat began to bother me, so I adjusted it again and the problems with my back have returned. I also don't seem to be able to get the seat back to where it was and, with my back irritated anyway, driving is not enjoyable and any car seat is going to give me grief.

With used cars prices being so high, it could be affordable to trade in the ST Line. I've always driven Fords and the Focus is the perfect car for me, so I'm considering giving the Titanium a go (but not before a very long test drive). The brochure suggests the only difference between the seats in the Titanium and ST Line is the red stitching in the latter and, just from looking at photographs on Autotrader etc, that looks to be the case. However, I know from experience of the older generations of the Focus there was a difference across several of the trims.

Can anyone say if the seats are different in the Titanium and perhaps even how? I know the driving position will probably still feel too far back for me, but the main issue I seem to have is the seat feels really hard against the base of my spine, which the lumbar support makes worse when added in any real way.

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

Do you have heated seats?

Have you played with the lumbar support?

1 hour ago, CI5 Man said:

Hello everyone. I'm driving a 2021 ST Line Focus and really like it, except for one thing: I've always found the seat uncomfortable and/or not been unable to get a decent driving position (I bought the car without a test drive because I've driven every Ford since the Sierra and never had an issue with seats). For a few months after getting the car, I got back pain after a short time in the car. After months of fiddling with the seat, I finally got it to a position that didn't hurt my back, but my driving position was never ideal (it feels like I'm sitting much too far back in the car). Anyway, after the lockdowns etc, I've been doing more longer-distance driving and the position of the seat began to bother me, so I adjusted it again and the problems with my back have returned. I also don't seem to be able to get the seat back to where it was and, with my back irritated anyway, driving is not enjoyable and any car seat is going to give me grief.

With used cars prices being so high, it could be affordable to trade in the ST Line. I've always driven Fords and the Focus is the perfect car for me, so I'm considering giving the Titanium a go (but not before a very long test drive). The brochure suggests the only difference between the seats in the Titanium and ST Line is the red stitching in the latter and, just from looking at photographs on Autotrader etc, that looks to be the case. However, I know from experience of the older generations of the Focus there was a difference across several of the trims.

Can anyone say if the seats are different in the Titanium and perhaps even how? I know the driving position will probably still feel too far back for me, but the main issue I seem to have is the seat feels really hard against the base of my spine, which the lumbar support makes worse when added in any real way.

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

I know how you feel, I struggle with the seats in the Focus too. Short trips fine no probs but anything over 30 mins and its starts to irritate my piriformis. Had the same issue in the previous Focus ( Mk3) and as you say, it's very hard to find that perfect spot. If I raise the seats, yeah it's a bit more comfortable but the I can't get out without banging my head on the roofline and it's too much faffing around raising and lowering the seats.

51 minutes ago, VFR800 said:

Do you have heated seats?

Have you played with the lumbar support?

Just the ordinary seats. I've tried the lumbar support as well, but I think it makes things worse, as it comes in too low for me - right into the base of my spine - and is very hard.

37 minutes ago, Wino said:

I know how you feel, I struggle with the seats in the Focus too. Short trips fine no probs but anything over 30 mins and its starts to irritate my piriformis. Had the same issue in the previous Focus ( Mk3) and as you say, it's very hard to find that perfect spot. If I raise the seats, yeah it's a bit more comfortable but the I can't get out without banging my head on the roofline and it's too much faffing around raising and lowering the seats.

It's a shame you're having issues, too, as it's otherwise a great car. I was actually fine with the old ST Line, hence I'd no issues buying my car without driving it. I'm sure for others it's a decent seat if a little firm - there's plenty of adjustment in it - but I don't think it suits my body shape.

3 hours ago, CI5 Man said:

It's a shame you're having issues, too, as it's otherwise a great car. I was actually fine with the old ST Line, hence I'd no issues buying my car without driving it. I'm sure for others it's a decent seat if a little firm - there's plenty of adjustment in it - but I don't think it suits my body shape.

I find our 12 yr old Picanto is way more comfy 🤣

On 2/12/2023 at 3:52 PM, CI5 Man said:

I've owned my car for nearly 2 1/2 years, still not sure if the seat is in the correct position, I do not get back pain, but does not fit like a glove, previous car was a MK3 MR2 so a lot lower and that was comfortable.

37 minutes ago, Nimrodmk8 said:

I've owned my car for nearly 2 1/2 years, still not sure if the seat is in the correct position, I do not get back pain, but does not fit like a glove, previous car was a MK3 MR2 so a lot lower and that was comfortable.

Lol, I'm always moving the seat to try and find that comfy spot but it doesn't help when the Mrs drives it and moves the damn thing. Might have to put some wooden blocks on the pedals for her 🤣

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club