Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water From Exhaust

JS2910

Hi

I have a 2019 Ford Focus Titanium with 10,500 miles on the clock.

Today my neighbour, who had followed behind me, told me that water was coming out of my exhaust pipe.

I had just returned from driving to my daughters house 10 minutes away.

With the car on my driveway and my wife in the driver's seat I saw that water was spurting out of the exhaust when she pressed the accelerator pedal.

I know a small drip of water from the exhaust can be normal on short journeys but "spurting* out seems more serious.  Definitely water with no smoke.

Could it be a gasket problem.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

JS2910

Water then must be coming from somewhere, are you loosing coolant?

Water is a by product of burning any Hydrocarbon fuel. If you are losing coolant as well then it is time to worry.

• Like 1

How do I check if I'm losing coolant.  Haven't a clue about cars.

JS2910

If you haven't been on a longer drive to for a while then water can sit in the exhaust.

Mine does it, if you were loosing coolant through the engine it would be constantly steaming.

Open the bonnet and visually check the level of coolant in the coolant expansion tank. The tank is fairly see through with minimum and maximum marks. The level needs to be anywhere between the two. 

But more to the point. If it's coolant it normally with come out as steam and not water dribbling out. It will most probably be water vapour from the combustion process and condenses in the colder exhaust tailpipe. Happens especially on short journeys. The rear silencer on modern cars now tend to have a hole on the bottom that can let trapped water out so the silencer doesn't prematurely rot/rust away. 

• Like 1

It's just a by-product of combustion,for every gallon of fuel there will be a gallon of water, if it was coolant the engine would be running very rough and the radiator would be empty,in my experience any water from the engine would vapourise before it left the exhaust.Obviously it will be worse when its cold weather which is why we don't see it in the Summer. In my 60yrs as a motor mechanic I've been asked this question many times.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, billyboy said:

It's just a biproduct of combustion,for every gallon of fuel there will be a gallon of water, if it was coolant the engine would be running very rough and the radiator would be empty,in my experience any water from the engine would vapourise before it left the exhaust.Obviously it will be worse when its cold weather which is why we don't see it in the Summer. In my 60yrs as a motor mechanic I've been asked this question many times.

And the other question is about the liquid dripping from underneath in the summer. 🤣

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, iantt said:

And the other question is about the liquid dripping from underneath in the summer. 🤣

Aahhh, that'll be a leak from your heater matrix, OR, the condensation build up from your A/C compressor...:laughing:

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club