Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No Autolock

northern_nubie

I'm not sure if Autolock is the right word. On all cars I've owned until this one (Focus, 4th gen face lift, Titanium Style), after driving and getting out, the car would lock itself after a short while if you forget to lock it yourself using the fob. But on this Focus it doesn't have that feature. After driving and closng the door, the car never locks itself, however far you are from it. A Ford dealer has just confirmed this. Not a big issue, as I never forget to lock the car, but I'm surprised.

However, the car has auto-relock - if the car is already locked and then unlocked using the fob, and you don't open a door within 45 seconds it will relock itself.

I've also read in the manual that some Focuses don't have anti-theft alarm. I asked Ford UK if mine does, and they say it does, but I don't always have much confidence in what I'm told by Ford UK. 

I’ve never known a car to lock itself if it’d just been driven or opened. Not unless it has a keyless walk away feature. Not know any fords that do this though. 

The focus has had a factory fit alarm for a while now. Lock the car with the the window open give it a few mins then lean in and wave your arm around it should trigger. 

• Like 2

I would imagine any autolock would cause any number of owners to get locked out when they just "nipped somewhere" and left the keys on the seat - back into home for a shopping bag / forgot wallet etc - then the car locked its self with keys inside. On this occasion, and only this occasion, wife would have used the spare keys "the other day" and left them in her spare handbag at her mothers. In Aberdeen or Plymouth.

Auto walk away locking will NOT lock the car if the key is inside. The feature is not available on all models and like auto drive away locking it is dependant on the specifications for each specific country.

See instructions below from Ford owners handbook.

Walk Away.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fiestaecoboostman said:

I would imagine any autolock would cause any number of owners to get locked out when they just "nipped somewhere" and left the keys on the seat - back into home for a shopping bag / forgot wallet etc - then the car locked its self with keys inside. On this occasion, and only this occasion, wife would have used the spare keys "the other day" and left them in her spare handbag at her mothers. In Aberdeen or Plymouth.

This is embarrassing. I'm not sure why I thought it should have autolock. I could be wrong, but I thought some previous non-Ford cars had it.

Edit: Having said that, because the car doesn't lock with the keys inside, no one should get locked out, which of course is a very serious thing.

Also, auto-relock allows you to unlock the car, open a door, close the door and it relocks itself 45 seconds later. I assume it wouldn't relock if the key fob was accidentally left inside the car. And auto-relock relocks the car even if you're standing next to it holding the key fob. So, all things considered, I think I've changed my mind back to my original view - that walk away auto-locking would be a sensible idea, for those who might now and again forget to press the key fob to lock the car. As I say, I'm pretty sure my previous cars had it.

25 minutes ago, unofix said:

Auto walk away locking will NOT lock the car if the key is inside. The feature is not available on all models and like auto drive away locking it is dependant on the specifications for each specific country.

See instructions below from Ford owners handbook.

Walk Away.JPG

Thanks. Number three is a little confusing, but from the list I think I understand the conditions which would need to be met for the car to lock.

But also, I can now see why most vehicles don't have it, from what others here say. Not sure why it didn't occur to me before posting (must try harder).

15 minutes ago, northern_nubie said:

Number three is a little confusing,

Simply put it is saying that after the vehicle has stopped, a person or persons must open a door(s) then close it without locking it. The person with the key must then walk away from the vehicle.

If after the vehicle has stopped, no one opens and closes a door then the auto locking will not operate as the vehicle assumes that there are people still inside.

=========================================================================

The Auto Walk Away locking is common in Canada, North America and South Africa. There are of couse situations that can occur which leave the vehicle unlocked when the driver expects it will have auto locked. For example the driver has the keyfob in their jacket pocket, and when getting in, they place the jacket on the back seat. When they leave the vehicle they leave the jacket on the seat. The driver then walks away thinking that they have the key with them and the vehicle will auto lock. However because the key is still within the vehicle (and not with the driver) then the auto locking will not happen.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, unofix said:

Simply put it is saying that after the vehicle has stopped, a person or persons must open a door(s) then close it without locking it. The person with the key must then walk away from the vehicle.

If after the vehicle has stopped, no one opens and closes a door then the auto locking will not operate as the vehicle assumes that there are people still inside.

=========================================================================

The Auto Walk Away locking is common in Canada, North America and South Africa. There are of couse situations that can occur which leave the vehicle unlocked when the driver expects it will have auto locked. For example the driver has the keyfob in their jacket pocket, and when getting in, they place the jacket on the back seat. When they leave the vehicle they leave the jacket on the seat. The driver then walks away thinking that they have the key with them and the vehicle will auto lock. However because the key is still within the vehicle (and not with the driver) then the auto locking will not happen.

Thanks for explaining. 

The jacket on the back seat is a good point. Ideally, though, AWA locking would just be just a back up in case a driver forgot to lock the car, rather than always relying on the car to lock itself.